Choosing between 2 of the 3 main options….

Stuno1

Hi folks, with the prices available I think I’ll be buying in the next 6-8 weeks. Maybe sooner. Which that being said many cars have two of the below. 
- Sports chrono

- PASM

- Sports exhaust

My thinking is bin sports chrono as the engine mounts are an issue that will need To be resolved OR bin PASM as I can add lowering springs for not a lot of money. I want the sports exhaust. 

Thiughts?

stu

Edited by Stuno1

• Stuno1 changed the title to Choosing between 2 of the 3 main options….

@Jonttt will tell you the magic you can work with PASM with an external controller, and I think now a couple here will agree with him.

Everyone loves the exhaust - you can retrofit for 2k.

I'm trying to remember what's so special about chrono... someone else will.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

@Jonttt will tell you the magic you can work with PASM with an external controller, and I think now a couple here will agree with him.

Everyone loves the exhaust - you can retrofit for 2k.

I'm trying to remember what's so special about chrono... someone else will.

That’s where I am going. Sports chrono gives smoother gear shifts, the  stop watch, sports plus mode and the engine mounts enable quicker shifts apparently oh and launch control. 

I am leaning towards exhaust and PASM being the key ones. 

Oh yes, much better. Gearchanges are faster, revs higher before gearchanges initiate, better throttle response, less nanny state I believe on traction control. Launch control is brilliant fun. Unlike BMW's etc there is no limit on how many you can do as well. Obvs you don't default to using it the lights...

Gear shifts in SC are more brutal as they are so quick, I wouldn't describe them as smoother at all.

Think you will be fortunate to get a 3.4s with the bits on for early £30k's though unless it's a high miler though..

Edited by andygo

1 minute ago, andygo said:

Oh yes, much better. Gearchanges are faster, revs higher before gearchanges initiate, better throttle response, less nanny state I believe on traction control. Launch control is brilliant fun. Unlike BMW's etc there is no limit on how many you can do as well. Obvs you don't default to using it the lights...

Think you will be fortunate to get a 3.4s with the bits on for early £30k's though unless it's a high miler though..

Hmmm changing my mind again. There are a fair few cropping up trade at 34-36k. So privately and even at trade i will be ok. I am looking at cars at 45k miles and under for 2013 and 2014 cars. 

Having had all these options across a couple of cars, my 2p;

PASM - Definitely makes the ride more comfortable on 20"s.  Had a Boxster S on 20s without PASM, wasn't too harsh that it was uncomfortable.  I'd look to have as a must have if you're going for larger wheels.

Sports Exhaust - must have but can be retro fitted, so technically not a must have

Sports Chrono - Sport Plus mode is almost undrivable unless you're hooning it and/or tracking the car.  Launch is good for one go, then never used.  Mounts can be an issue but covered under OPC warranty.  But I like the clock - yeah I know, a hugely expensive option, but I'd go for it because of the clock!  :D 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Simo_UK said:

Having had all these options across a couple of cars, my 2p;

PASM - Definitely makes the ride more comfortable on 20"s.  Had a Boxster S on 20s without PASM, wasn't too harsh that it was uncomfortable.  I'd look to have as a must have if you're going for larger wheels.

Sports Exhaust - must have but can be retro fitted, so technically not a must have

Sports Chrono - Sport Plus mode is almost undrivable unless you're hooning it and/or tracking the car.  Launch is good for one go, then never used.  Mounts can be an issue but covered under OPC warranty.  But I like the clock - yeah I know, a hugely expensive option, but I'd go for it because of the clock!  :D 

So which would you drop if you had to…

I have Sports Exhaust and Sports Chrono. I dont find comfort an issue on the 20" without PASM and causes no issues pushing on either, I don't feel any need for PASM. 

I would not live without Sports Exhaust though, makes the flat 6 sing. But can be retrofitted by Porsche so consider that as it might open up more cars to you.

Sports Chrono, perfect if you track the car. Launch if you have PDK. Great for driving around roads with Sports+ in manual mode if you're out for a heavy spirited drive. Yes it has the worry of the transmission mounts, but they may have been replaced on a many cars by now so daft to rule it out based on that. Plus its a pretty simple job to change them. 

Out of the 3 I'd choose the car that had the history, condition and other spec I wanted and if it didn't have PASM or Sports Chrono I don't think I'd be too bothered (I'm not as I don't have PASM in this one) but Sports Exhaust is a must for me.

Edited by CMA
  • Like 1

If you're going on track then the Sports Chrono is a nice to have & on the road I never use it.  Don't forget it really hardens up the PASM too which is only bearable on track too.  LC is a laugh mind and I like the central clock & extra button.

PSE is a must have or budget to retrofit.

My BGTS is on 20" wheels and I'm sure that must make a difference to ride & feel.

Why not hold out for a GTS and have it all?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GTSMarky said:

If you're going on track then the Sports Chrono is a nice to have & on the road I never use it.  Don't forget it really hardens up the PASM too which is only bearable on track too.  LC is a laugh mind and I like the central clock & extra button.

PSE is a must have or budget to retrofit.

My BGTS is on 20" wheels and I'm sure that must make a difference to ride & feel.

Why not hold out for a GTS and have it all?

If you want to send over the extra money I’ll certainly buy a GTS. I’ll send you my bank details :)

• Like 1

I tried various cars with and without all the options and have been lucky to buy one with everything on, so here's my opinion for what it's worth.

PSE: An absolute must, if just makes the 6 sing.

PASM: For me a must, on 20"s the ride was far better than the non PASM I tried.

Sport Chrono: Never used it but love the clock...an expensive option for me as I will not track the car or use launch, but I am in my 60s😥

I think the PSE and PASM should be a must, and full extended leather. Without this option I feel the interior really lacks the special feeling and I would choose this option over Sport Chrono any day.

Edited by JurassicGTS
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, JurassicGTS said:

I tried various cars with and without all the options and have been lucky to buy one with everything on, so here's my opinion for what it's worth.

PSE: An absolute must, if just makes the 6 sing.

PASM: For me a must, on 20"s the ride was far better than the non PASM I tried.

Sport Chrono: Never used it but love the clock...an expensive option for me as I will not track the car or use launch, but I am in my 60s😥

I think the PSE and PASM should be a must, and full extended leather. Without this option I feel the interior really lacks the special feeling and I would choose this option over Sport Chrono any day.

That is my thinking at the moment. Sports chrono could be for the chop.

• Thanks 1

I'd have the sports chrono over the exhaust.

I had a Carnewal modded exhaust on my 987.1 Boxster S that had Chrono. It was a manual, so no big benefit of the Chrono TBH. Exhaust was brilliant.

My 987.2 had no Chrono, but exhaust. I found myself turning the exhaust down on overtakes as lovely as it sounds, I felt it was waking up the plodders just a bit too much, especially with the prevalence of damn dashcams!

My 981 CS with PDK has S Chrono but no exhaust. I'd rather have the performance than the noise. IMHO, in todays world the weary drivers get into a hissy when you overtake briskly as it is, without subjecting them to the fantastic noise which appears to just upset them even more as they drone along in their crapmobiles.

Easier to add noise than the performance of Chrono.

Sports chrono and PSM in action:

Edited by andygo

1 hour ago, Stuno1 said:

That is my thinking at the moment. Sports chrono could be for the chop.

Dependent on your "requirements/desires" really check out standard trim vs extended leather. Unless you go for a GTS, this really makes the interior of the Boxster special and a wonderful place to spend time against an ordinary cockpit. Just my opinion though🤔

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, andygo said:

I'd have the sports chrono over the exhaust.

I had a Carnewal modded exhaust on my 987.1 Boxster S that had Chrono. It was a manual, so no big benefit of the Chrono TBH. Exhaust was brilliant.

My 987.2 had no Chrono, but exhaust. I found myself turning the exhaust down on overtakes as lovely as it sounds, I felt it was waking up the plodders just a bit too much, especially with the prevalence of damn dashcams!

My 981 CS with PDK has S Chrono but no exhaust. I'd rather have the performance than the noise. IMHO, in todays world the weary drivers get into a hissy when you overtake briskly as it is, without subjecting them to the fantastic noise which appears to just upset them even more as they drone along in their crapmobiles.

Easier to add noise than the performance of Chrono.

Sports chrono and PSM in action:

What performance does sports chrono add though? Is it not just smoother gear changes?

14 minutes ago, Stuno1 said:

What performance does sports chrono add though? Is it not just smoother gear changes?

It's not smoother, but faster gear changes. Almost brutal. In auto mode it holds each gear until the redline, so on the road it's not great. But in manual mode you can change when you want

Edited by CMA
  • Like 1

Just now, JurassicGTS said:

Is that what can cause issues with PADMs rather than normal use?

Nope, it's what they are there for to stiffen up the rear and get the power down without the transmission slopping about. In the same way a racecar has solidly mounted engine, not great for comfort but better for dynamics. The reason the mounts fail in internal electronics and sad to be down to a faulty batch around 2013-2015 models. Same part is on the 911s too and known to fail

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CMA said:

It's not smoother, but faster gear changes. Almost brutal. In auto mode it holds each gear until the redline, so on the road it's not great. But in manual mode you can change when you want

Can you not rev it out in sport manual mode without sports chrono?