Choosing between 2 of the 3 main options….

Stuno1

3 minutes ago, Stuno1 said:

Can you not rev it out in sport manual mode without sports chrono?

You can rev it out in any gear in any mode while in manual if you want. But the pdk change map is different from normal to sport to sport+ and the speed of gear change is faster is sport and even faster in sport+

Just now, CMA said:

You can rev it out in any gear in any mode while in manual if you want. But the pdk change map is different from normal to sport to sport+ and the speed of gear change is faster is sport and even faster in sport+

You get Sport without Sport Chrono, so unless your tracking🤔

3 minutes ago, JurassicGTS said:

You get Sport without Sport Chrono, so unless your tracking🤔

To me the car drives very different in Sport and Sport+. Different levels of PSM, so more slip before it kicks in on Sport+, different throttle map, less PSE noise in Sport+, much faster gear changes in Sport+, different feel through the car. Totally usable on the road in manual. Just not in Auto. Auto is only for the track imo. If you have it on a PASM car, there's more differences between Sport and Sport+ but I don't have PASM so couldn't comment on the differences

2 minutes ago, CMA said:

To me the car drives very different in Sport and Sport+. Different levels of PSM, so more slip before it kicks in on Sport+, different throttle map, less PSE noise in Sport+, much faster gear changes in Sport+, different feel through the car. Totally usable on the road in manual. Just not in Auto. Auto is only for the track imo. If you have it on a PASM car, there's more differences between Sport and Sport+ but I don't have PASM so couldn't comment on the differences

Going to have to try Sport+👍🤣🤣

• Like 1

Just adding on to most folks thoughts here.  I went from a 981S without PSE, Sport Chrono or PASM to a GTS with all of those.

For me:

Ride quality is marginally better with PASM.  With the switch pressed it proper firm.  Not a deal breaker for me

Sport Chrono is a nice to have as apart form the Chrono Clock which I really like, it moves the "Sport" and now "Sport Plus" lights to the steering wheel instead of the cluster (which I also like) - Also gets rid of a blank switch on the console if SC not there (same applies to PASM - Blank switches used to bug me a bit). I think launch control is as others have said is a very seldom used add-on for PDK cars, but nice to know it's there if you want to be a tw@t.  Sport Plus make gear changes ferocious, to the point it's uncomfortable -  but I'm sure an absolute blast when doing the spirited driving thing

PSE - I never thought my S sounded terrible, but the difference is actually amazing.  Switchable-ness is great allowing quiet vs adolescent pops bangs, and a BIG difference when at v high revs.  This for me is the most impressive item on your list, and the one that I would put on podium as must have (It was in the man maths equation when I went from S to GTS, as I really really wanted that sound after following @Davidbf1.com 's GTS ages ago.)  
The sound adds a level of drama to driving that makes the car feel faster

Edited by Withy
  • Like 2

I agree with the earlier comments about budget and your list options. I think to find a decent 3.4s with everything you want and nice miles you may struggle.

I changed from a very high spec Black Edition to my 981s, to get the same level of spec in a 981 I would of needed to buy a GTS and find another £12-15k. Money no option that is what I would of done but it was so I decided to find a 981s with all the important options to me and not a load of nice to have but never use bits.

PASM -SPORTS CHRONO -SPORTS EXHAUST 

I found a 981s PDK with PASM CHRONO 20”alloys , sports plus seats, sports wheel and various other nice bits. It was white which I was after and had a fsh with less than 35k on the clock, all that was missing the exhaust which I had retro fitted for £2100 by Cotswold Porsche.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Withy said:

Just adding on to most folks thoughts here.  I went from a 981S without PSE, Sport Chrono or PASM to a GTS with all of those.

For me:

Ride quality is marginally better with PASM.  With the switch pressed it proper firm.  Not a deal breaker for me

Sport Chrono is a nice to have as apart form the Chrono Clock which I really like, it moves the "Sport" and now "Sport Plus" lights to the steering wheel instead of the cluster (which I also like) - Also gets rid of a blank switch on the console if SC not there (same applies to PASM - Blank switches used to bug me a bit). I think launch control is as others have said is a very seldom used add-on for PDK cars, but nice to know it's there if you want to be a tw@t.  Sport Plus make gear changes ferocious, to the point it's uncomfortable -  but I'm sure an absolute blast when doing the spirited driving thing

PSE - I never thought my S sounded terrible, but the difference is actually amazing.  Switchable-ness is great allowing quiet vs adolescent pops bangs, and a BIG difference when at v high revs.  This for me is the most impressive item on your list, and the one that I would put on podium as must have (It was in the man maths equation when I went from S to GTS, as I really really wanted that sound after following @Davidbf1.com 's GTS ages ago.)  
The sound adds a level of drama to driving that makes the car feel faster

+1 on the exhaust! It is a must have and sounds awesome when popping crackling 😂

• Like 1

I must admit I can't remember the last time I drove mine in sports plus. 

Ultimate driver spec for me would be x73 ahead of pasm and I wouldn't have bought one without PSE. It makes the car, and even better with the sound symposer too.

15 hours ago, Stuno1 said:

If you want to send over the extra money I’ll certainly buy a GTS. I’ll send you my bank details :)

If the market drops and your pot grows why not go GTS?

My BGTS is the only Porsche I've owned and have to say that even after >4 years I(we) still loveit!

My two e cents 

Watched the market hrly for two years and eventually got a GTS spec 981S for very good money private albeit with higher mileage,loved the car and drove mostly in manual between sport and sport plus.auto std for traffic crawling .I think if your asking you want it all so don’t compromise.I sold at market top and being patient waiting for the dip and opportunity to get back in and I’ll hold out for the “Perfect” car again.

personnal but my must have options are really mostly only found in a GTS 

• Like 1

If it was just two I could have it would be PASM and PSE.   However SC isn’t really retrofittable whereas PSE is (£2000-2500).  If you do regular track work then SC becomes more of a must have.  I rarely use Sport+ unless bone dry in the summer, though as mentioned it does give more control over the traction control with an extra level between sport and off.  PASM is great and when on a spirited drive sport Mode PASM really tightens up the back end.  Those who don’t have PASM seem perfectly happy so overall I think the general history is more important, ideally get one with all three🤑

50 minutes ago, Stuno1 said:

Did someone say it’s £2k for Porsche to fit a pse system? Assume that includes the centre console switch for the valve? 

I said that as a ballpark figure. It's up to 2500 but I can't remember which is for 981, which is for 987.2 (I think the higher price), and how much the price varies between OPCs / if you can get group buy discount. There was also something about 500 for sports tailpipe which you don't need to buy if your car already has it. These 981 experts might give you a more accurate picture.

1 hour ago, GTSMarky said:

If the market drops and your pot grows why not go GTS?

My BGTS is the only Porsche I've owned and have to say that even after >4 years I(we) still loveit!

The cheapest GTS with reasonable miles in boxster or cayman form is 47k so out of my budget.