Brake pad and disc replacement.

Stuno1

Out of interest what do people pay pay for s replacement pads and discs and do you stick with Porsche ones which I believe are brembo?

I imagine for potential warranty purposes you have to use Porsche items. Are they any good for occasional track use? 

Stu

15 minutes ago, GTSMarky said:

I put new Brembo pads & sensors (don't forget these as they will break when you try to take them out) on mine.

I will change my discs or at the very least put them on my lathe and face them as the track action gets them all groovy..

Is the brake sensor a wear sensor? Is there a way to see remaining wear if it is?

9 minutes ago, Stuno1 said:

Is the brake sensor a wear sensor? Is there a way to see remaining wear if it is?

Not sure about who Porsche use - variously you will see Brembo, Pagid and Texar sold as or quoted as "the same as Porsche use in a plain white box" - I have never seen a definitive list ( and perhaps  it varies by model as to who supplies ) - but my thinking is they can't all be the right. 

Wear sensor is "on or off" - when the pad wears down enough for the sensor to touch the disk then the light comes on - no indication of "remaining" thickness.

As to costs - front discs and pads ( and on the 987 - shims) and new bolts and stuff from opc was about £780 fitted. Warranty wise - another one of those things, if you go in with a failed instrument cluster, they won't look at the wheels - but go in with a failed wheel bearing or a an ABS fault and likely any non Porsche parts will likely be an issue, but Porsche parts fitted by a 3rd party shouldn't be an issue.

There has been a few cases were on 981's people have used aftermarket pads and had terrible brake squeal issues - some have fixed it by chamfering the pads, others gave up and put genuine pads in. I am sure many others have had no issue with non original parts.

• 2 weeks later...

Am considering doing this myself as well and was looking around to try and figure out which parts I need.  Design 911 do a package of pads, discs, shims & sensors described as "OEQ" here for £230 inc VAT with code CLOUD05 (for the fronts on a 987), https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod135988/FRONT-Brake-Pads-and-Brake-Disc-Package-Porsche-987-Boxster---987C-Cayman_2/

Is this everything I need or should I also pick up some replacement bolts / clips etc?

Edited by Hainesy

7 minutes ago, GTSMarky said:

I paid £165 for a full set of Brembo pads FYI & would for sure have these over Pagid.

I am regretting the Textar pads, they are squealing at low speeds so far (Yes I've tried bedding them in repeatedly).

Hopefully the 260 mile round trip down to Tamworth tomorrow for a Christmas eve funeral will sort them out or its going to be very embarrassing following the hurst 😏

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tony Daniel said:

I am regretting the Textar pads, they are squealing at low speeds so far (Yes I've tried bedding them in repeatedly).

Hopefully the 260 mile round trip down to Tamworth tomorrow for a Christmas eve funeral will sort them out or its going to be very embarrassing following the hurst 😏

Been a few threads on brake squeal on 981.  Usually ends up with “chamfer the front edge of the pads” or “Gave up and fitted Porsche genuine pads”. 

No 1st hand experience but that’s what I read.  

32 minutes ago, Tony Daniel said:

I always do this but with Textar pads they come with huge chamfers already, half the new pads is chamfer

As I say.  It’s what I read, and I don’t have 1st hand experience and it’s small sample but it seems there are more who gave up than those who “won”.  One poster had multiple visits to an Indy and multiple sets of pads from suppliers who are reckoned to be be OEM before trying original.  

YMMV 

On 12/23/2021 at 3:43 PM, Tony Daniel said:

Yeah, I got this too - repeatedly trying the hard braking routine did nothing and I just had to wait for them bed in over time, which seemed like months due to the limited amount of driving I was doing...