A possible PDK Repair ??

alank

http://t-design9.com/PDK_distance_position_sensor_7DT45_7DT70_7DT75_porsche.html

http://t-design9.com/ppm_tdesign.gif
Distance / Position sensor unit for PDK gearbox

Exclusively developed by us for Porsche transmissions 7DT45 7DT70, used in 911, Cayman and Boxster since 2009 (models 997 991 981 718)

Request Purchasing Info

Repair your PDK instead of buying a new one! The distance / position sensor fail is usually indicated by 1731-1735 and other 17xx errors. Previously this kind of error required a new and very expensive PDK transmission. But now it's a relatively simple repair for an indi shop working on transmissions. Please contact us with your specific details to make sure that this is the part you are looking for.

Diagnosis:
- Car is undrivable or in limp mode
- Dash message "Gearbox fault..."
- OBD codes 1731,1732,1733,1734,1735 and some 17Dx
- OBD errors "Shift rod N displacement sensor"
- Dealer/Shop diagnosed "distance (or position) sensor failure"

http://t-design9.com/porsche_pdk_displacement_distance_gearshift_sensor_5.jpg

The distance/displacement sensor is important part of the Porsche PDK gearbox. It's function is to tell control unit where all 4 shift rods are at the moment. Gearbox control unit constantly communicates with sensor pack to make sure gear shifts occured correctly. Once the sensor goes bad/dies - control unit can not continue. So it will keep driving in the gear currently selected, will not do any more shifts, and after car stopped - it will not let it drive again at all.

Here is a thread on Rennlist about PDKs, PDK related problems, solutions, and distance / postion sensor : Guide to Repairing a PDK Transmission

Our brand new gear position sensor pack, installed:
http://t-design9.com/porsche_pdk_displacement_distance_gearshift_sensor_installed2.jpg

Design Highlights:

- Direct replacement for Porsche part 0501325775, 0501327105, 0501324703

- Works on 7DT45, 7DT70 PDK

- For 987 991 981 718 car models

- Developed using the latest technology/electronics (2021 vs 2007)

- Brand new part. NOT a used part salvaged from an accident car

> List of car shops experienced in PDK repairs

http://t-design9.com/porsche_pdk_sensor_repair_shops_map.jpg

> Sensor installation manual for PDK 991, 997, 981, 987

contact us: info@T-Design9.com

Thread on pcgb forum with 911 owner using this (I think).  Last time I looked still having a challenge in getting the gearbox to calibrate after fitting.

hope they get there in the end.  These things may be expensive but they should be fixable.  

10 minutes ago, daz05 said:

Simply too expensive when you can pick up pdk boxes all over the country and change them over in less time. You need to create tools to even open them up.

How much would that be though? If an Indy can work it out and do it substantially cheaper than a replacement they will end up with reasonable business I imagine. 

13 hours ago, daz05 said:

Our man @ATMhas found a place.

They wouldn’t touch my PDK in the early part of the year as they couldn’t get parts for it. Austrin gearboxes were very helpful and I had a lengthy chat with them about the issue. Porsche no longer supply parts to third parties for the PDK box. If the OPC can fix the box in house then i guess it may be  possible to buy the seal or gasket from them but nobody I spoke to(and I spoke to a lot)will touch the PDK box as they can’t get parts for it. I spoke to one gearbox repair company who were prepared to take a look but only after I signed a disclaimer to say that if the farked it up they wouldn’t be held accountable. 

9 minutes ago, bandit_287 said:

They wouldn’t touch my PDK in the early part of the year as they couldn’t get parts for it. Austrin gearboxes were very helpful and I had a lengthy chat with them about the issue. Porsche no longer supply parts to third parties for the PDK box. If the OPC can fix the box in house then i guess it may be  possible to buy the seal or gasket from them but nobody I spoke to(and I spoke to a lot)will touch the PDK box as they can’t get parts for it. I spoke to one gearbox repair company who were prepared to take a look but only after I signed a disclaimer to say that if the farked it up they wouldn’t be held accountable. 

Did you have a PDK box replaced then? 

2016 car 13,000 miles, one previous owner and fpsh. It wasn’t under warranty I had to fight for it. My thought process is that the PDK box is a bit like the IMS issue on earlier cars as If it fails your car is a brick and it typically needs replacing and if not under warranty you’re looking at anything between £8500-£16,000 for a replacement. It’s not as uncommon as people think, if you do some research you’ll find there’s been quite a few PDK boxes fail and need replacing, four that i know of on this forum in the last year or so. 

Edited by bandit_287

@bandit_287you replaced yours with a salvage box, what did that cost in the end?

@Stuno1you've brought a lot of fear and worry to this forum since you joined the party. Do you work for a warranty company or a rival manufacturer? 🤣🤣🤣

However, today I heard about a friend who lost his engine on a Cayman at around 60k, he's bought it second hand from an indy a while back.  He's got a horrendous bill on his hands.for a replacement engine The failure seems to have stemmed from use of the car with an intermittent valve lift solenoid issue. Hoping to catch up with him soon for the full story. 

6 minutes ago, daz05 said:

@bandit_287you replaced yours with a salvage box, what did that cost in the end?

@Stuno1you've brought a lot of fear and worry to this forum since you joined the party. Do you work for a warranty company or a rival manufacturer? 🤣🤣🤣

However, today I heard about a friend who lost his engine on a Cayman at around 60k, he's bought it second hand from an indy a while back.  He's got a horrendous bill on his hands.for a replacement engine The failure seems to have stemmed from use of the car with an intermittent valve lift solenoid issue. Hoping to catch up with him soon for the full story. 

Ha! Certainly not my intention at all! Just part of my process so I can weigh up warranty or not, Indy or Porsche, make sure I am aware of potential bills etc. 

So my gearbox on my 981S went 2.5 years ago at about 80,000 miles and was out of warranty. It was temperamental and I managed to get Porsche to do a 111 point warranty and pay them £1100 for the warranty (yes I had an Indy reset the fault a few times before they saw it!!) and then a month after I called them and they replaced it.

Before this I called 20 gearbox places and nobody could do it. If an Indy replaced it, it was £8000 and if Porsche did it was nearly £12000.

Thankfully the warranty took care of it. And 2 weeks ago, after 5.5 years and 130,000 miles, I said goodbye to it. Apart from the gearbox, it was perfect.

• Like 1

On 12/16/2021 at 11:01 AM, bandit_287 said:

Austrin gearboxes are fixing mine.  They had an initial look over the car - I called 4 or 5 places closer to home and no one was even interested in looking at the car.  Then they called me and started talking about seals and stuff.  I wasn't really listening very carefully because I was thinking this is going to be bad news so I just asked - Can you fix it.  The guy said yes.  They are 180 miles from my house so it wasn't simple for me.  Hopefully its a good result at the end.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ATM said:

Austrin gearboxes are fixing mine.  They had an initial look over the car - I called 4 or 5 places closer to home and no one was even interested in looking at the car.  Then they called me and started talking about seals and stuff.  I wasn't really listening very carefully because I was thinking this is going to be bad news so I just asked - Can you fix it.  The guy said yes.  They are 180 miles from my house so it wasn't simple for me.  Hopefully its a good result at the end.

Great news! Hope it works out for you. Keep us updated. 

• 2 weeks later...