My 987 with blown engine rebuild

El Vikingo Tropical

I have been a petrolhead whole my life and using tools since my first motocross at five years old With the help of my dad, now I’m 55 and things haven’t change much (except now I’m bold hair).

I bought I just bought my first Boxster after earning many Porsche during last 24years 911, 914, 928, 944….

I found this 987 3.2 in what I feel a beautiful colour combination with blown engine, witch was just the type of challenge I like.

The car had 19” alloys, sport interior and exhaust and the paint in good condition 

BFF59662-88EB-4F8C-836B-215446568491.jpeg

FE9C6C1B-C196-40A1-9076-20369D546600.jpeg

• Like 2

The story about how the ruined the engine:
The engine was in good shape with all service records stamped until the second owner bought it and went to a local "mechanic" (plumber), This plumber was supposed to repair a oil leak from the IMS shaft seal.
He swapped the seal and somehow he put the camshafts out of timing...
When he started the engine he heard some crunch sound (two broken exhaust valves), so he pulled out the engine again for inspection but when it had it out, he succeed to drop the engine upside down like a toast with the marmalade down at the floor, crashing the intake manifolds.
Then he realised he was in a problem and then he called me in to help him out, So the guy destroyed the engine and the owner wasn’t informed yet….

As I have been racing preparing Porsche (as a hobby) for years he supposed I was the person to call, 
1. My advice was tell the owner he needs a new engine.

2. Tell him you destroyed the engine and if he wanted to sell the car I was interested.

He opted for nr.2 😁.

C1134CB7-3404-4340-BF1F-61EF1EBDE0C2.jpeg

1AA4F019-A78E-47FD-9D26-8CC3492A0B89.jpeg

431C131C-091B-4818-BA01-1F8956B6C3BB.jpeg

6878596E-5DBE-44C7-AE22-AA059A88615D.jpeg

2298CDC0-AC16-4D07-B184-114918D628EE.jpeg

755D7CCA-F134-4784-A925-FD4634E6EBB9.jpeg

I have always been modifying cars and bikes,  so I just have to make something with this car as well.

The idea is just building this engine without spending to much as it will not be the final engine for this car, so I will also slowly begin making a 3.9engine as that’s what I feel this car needs.

I say slowly as it’s a question of time and money, Im also building 7 bikes into Cafe Racers and converting my Austin A40 Countryman in to a camper at this moment and I’m not retired from work yet…

First thing was to figure out which of the two piston option this engine had as there two different weight options

578D5EA5-8C43-4A32-9336-E2A9E9F51C03.jpeg

49F8B3BC-72EB-41F6-8CA3-00F8BB159ACF.jpeg

DB326598-C453-4C13-82B1-947A30B4F95B.jpeg

• Like 1

New stuff was ordered as Piston, bearings, valves, IMS, joints etc…

As I live a bit far away and due to Canary Islands doesn't belong to EU VAT system it always takes time before we recibe our package (2x time customs 1. Madrid 2. Gran Canaria).

But I’m not in any hurry and after living here 40 years it’s just a normal…

IMS

My car has the bigger model of IMS who is more difficult changing, I opted for a stinger unit with wider bearings, I handled over the engine to a local shop who made the diameter of whole bigger making the process of changing the IMS easier at the future 

10 minutes ago, JonSta said:

What condition is the old bearing in?

It’s sound rough if you spin it with the fingers…

At this car they ruined the engine trying to change the leaking IMS seal, My theory is that the oil leak was because the IMS bearing was in bad shape producing vibrations waisting the oil seal.

44 minutes ago, El Vikingo Tropical said:

I’m afraid I can’t or don’t know how to put up more photos regarding the process, but I can always write about it😅

Keep a record of your progress in photos and whenever you are ready you need to upload them to a hosting service like Flickr or Imgur.  Once hosted you can embed as many photos as you like in your build thread, we can help when you get to this point if you need...

• Like 1

Making good progress already.  That new IMSB assembly makes sense as it could be changed in future, if ever required, without splitting the crank case now.  Shame Porsche didn't think of that!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Making good progress already.  That new IMSB assembly makes sense as it could be changed in future, if ever required, without splitting the crank case now.  Shame Porsche didn't think of that!

That’s the idea, this way you can inspect the bearing at every clutch change preventing failures.

1 hour ago, El Vikingo Tropical said:

As I had some time during the waiting parts I decide changing colour of the alloys, In several if my bikes (Ducati) I always liked golden wheels so that was the option for the Boxster as well.

987s

I’d have gone for a darker gold towards bronze to try to tie together with the interior. But it’s your car :) 

• Like 1

Enjoying this thread - Thank you. 

On 12/19/2021 at 9:31 AM, El Vikingo Tropical said:

it will not be the final engine for this car, so I will also slowly begin making a 3.9engine as that’s what I feel this car needs.

Lookin forward to reading about this when you start work on it.  

Edited by map
Typo

On 12/22/2021 at 1:06 PM, JonSta said:

Who makes the 3.2 into a 3.9? I know hartech do a 3.7.  I'm sure the hartech engine is an excellent thing but the power increase they advertise doesn't look all that exciting for the cost.

The thing is having a broken engine it makes sense put in cylinder barrels and rebuild, this way you know it’s in good condition, buying a used 3.6-3.8 you will never be 100% it’s ok!

On 12/22/2021 at 1:06 PM, JonSta said:

Who makes the 3.2 into a 3.9?

The standard crank throw in the 3.2 won’t give 3.9 litres.

Having been through this loop a few years ago I now know that it isn’t possible without significant (costly) machining to the 3.2 crankcases to fit a 3.6 crank and cage (also costly). If you want 3.9 litre motor start with a 3.6

As you’ve seen a 3.2 will go to 3.7 litres with 100mm pistons and liners - I don’t believe there’s room to go for larger liners in these blocks.

• Thanks 1