My 987 with blown engine rebuild

El Vikingo Tropical

On 12/19/2021 at 9:31 AM, El Vikingo Tropical said:

Im also building 7 bikes into Cafe Racers and converting my Austin A40 Countryman in to a camper at this moment and I’m not retired from work yet

Sounds like you are a busy man, would love to see how you are getting on with the A40.

Keep up the good work :)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/25/2021 at 9:46 PM, El Vikingo Tropical said:

Anyone have experience painting soft touch panels?

First of al it’s hard taking of the old paint without scratching the plastic, I can’t find any paint reference to have this made locally!

Have only just seen this and, if you've not sorted it yet, do a search for centre console and you will find lots of info including my own refurb, done with acetone based nail varnish remover, scotch pads etc. Most important thing is to ensure you remove ALL the soft coating. Then prime with a filler primer before paint and clear coat (I used Satin but lots of people go for Gloss).

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, red rocket said:

Have only just seen this and, if you've not sorted it yet, do a search for centre console and you will find lots of info including my own refurb, done with acetone based nail varnish remover, scotch pads etc. Most important thing is to ensure you remove ALL the soft coating. Then prime with a filler primer before paint and clear coat (I used Satin but lots of people go for Gloss).

Hi red rocket, I still haven’t solved this issue…

Just acetona and scotch pads?

16 hours ago, El Vikingo Tropical said:

Hi red rocket, I still haven’t solved this issue…

Just acetona and scotch pads?

I used acetone based nail varnish remover (some is not acetone based) then I think scotchpads to remove most of the coating and probably wet and dry sandpaper to smooth before filler primer to help cover any scratches/abrasions. It's not hard to do but you need to take time to get all the coating off otherwise the paint won't stick and the surface will be rough.

5 hours ago, red rocket said:

I used acetone based nail varnish remover (some is not acetone based) then I think scotchpads to remove most of the coating and probably wet and dry sandpaper to smooth before filler primer to help cover any scratches/abrasions. It's not hard to do but you need to take time to get all the coating off otherwise the paint won't stick and the surface will be rough.

I will try the acetone and compare with 97º alcohol which I use, The alcohol works ok but maybe the acetone is better...

1 hour ago, El Vikingo Tropical said:

I will try the acetone and compare with 97º alcohol which I use, The alcohol works ok but maybe the acetone is better...

Acetone is a much more “aggressive” solvent for plastics and will dissolve/soften the coating better than ethanol.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, El Vikingo Tropical said:

I had a couple hours of this afternoon enuf to put on all piston rods and close the two engine half’s 

51834518406_d4609336d7_b.jpg51834874769_b50be6ae9c_b.jpg

Love the “assembly lubricant”

you have skills and a style.  

More power to you.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Paul P said:

Love the “assembly lubricant”

you have skills and a style.  

More power to you.  

Now you now what’s “Tropical” Viking comes from😏

2 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Great to watch the work of someone that knows their stuff.  Engine insides scare the living daylights out of me almost as much as gearboxes.

I have to say I’m scared also as this is first time I works at a water cooled boxer six!

Normally when you rebuild a engine you is the one who unassembled the engine, in this case this was made by a bad plumber who just putted the engine in boxes with out no markings or planning and handled over to me!

So this is like a big puzzle, I won’t play drum rolls and victory fanfare before this engine have made some good km

• Like 1

• 5 months later...