Exhaust /cat flange

sa utah

So as usual on the run up to Christmas something always spoils my plans !

The exhaust flange bolts where the exhaust meets the cat has split.   Rusted bolts which is common I see.       I got the parts from stock at my local OPC and will get them on the car in the new year.   

Here are the part numbers if anyone has the same issue.    2 x triangle gaskets and 6 x nuts and bolts.   The nuts and bolts are in the same bag so here's the list

2 x 997 111 113 00  exhaust gaskets 
6 x 900 075 365 02  m8x30 bolts
6 x 900 075 365 02 m8 lock nuts 

IMG_5947 Small.jpeg

IMG_5948 Small.jpeg

IMG_5949 Small.jpeg

IMG_5950 Small.jpeg

I think the best thing that can happen is that the studs snap when you try and remove the skinny nuts. You can then attack the remaining pressed in studs with MAP gas, if you have it, and knock them out once they're red hot. 

• 3 weeks later...

Odd side effect of getting this job done has been the elimination of my very slight engine idle speed when the engine is warm.    Sat at a standstill in neutral I`ve always had a s100 RPM or so drop / increase/drop on the rev counter and you could hear it also.   I`d checked the usuals and replaced plugs and coil packs not long ago so I just put it down to "they all do that" as read elsewhere.

It`s totally rock solid now.,  No variation or odd stumble.      Obviously the escaping gases at the flange have been affecting the readings from the second O2 sensor.  

So upon reflection I should have tackled this long ago!   For the sake of a few quid for the parts it`s one of the best fixes i`ve had to to.