Stonechip on windscreen

Stark9

Last night on the motorway a stone hit my screen pretty hard and has left a big chip in my screen right at the centre of vision as I drive. It’s not cracked but just chipped.

Are there options to use Porsche directly with a replacement and my insurers and just pay a bigger excess? Just don’t fancy Auto Glass and then using a non OEM screen….

4 minutes ago, Stark9 said:

Last night on the motorway a stone hit my screen pretty hard and has left a big chip in my screen right at the centre of vision as I drive. It’s not cracked but just chipped.

Are there options to use Porsche directly with a replacement and my insurers and just pay a bigger excess? Just don’t fancy Auto Glass and then using a non OEM screen….

That's really irritating & it's an MOT failure if its in driver's line of vision.

I can't imagine your car insurance will pay for a Porsche windscreen but may pay a fixed amount towards the cost. You'll end up paying the lion's share, I'm sure.

Keep us posted.

Check first, it might be repairable and only cost you £10ish excess for that. Just ring the appointed windscreen company up from your insurance docs and have a chat.

You find if you want to use Porsche to fit the glass it will cost you a lot, as they only pay £200ish towards a non approved fitter (yes Porsche would be classed as non approved!) Check your insurance docs as all insurances are different on what they cover.

I had Autoglass do my last windscreen, cost me £70 excess and the job was fine. Although I did stand over and watch him like a hawk. lol

12 minutes ago, Stark9 said:

It’s just because it’s only 3 weeks old that it irritates me that’s all. Most people would just accept it and be done but not me. iAd happily pay £500 to get it done today if I could 

I get the irritation, had the same happen to me. I ended up using Autoglass via my insurer and paying a balance to supply a genuine screen. I was really happy with the outcome (comes down to the pair of hands doing the work on the day not the company name above the door).

Historically some others have achieved a genuine screen for no extra cost via their insurer, wasn't my experience but don't ask, don't get as they say.

Most OPCs will outsource the glass fit anyway.

There was a chap called Paul (company name Glasstec) who came recommended by some folks on here and Pistonheads. He might be able to give a view as to whether the chip can be improved before you go for replacement, again maybe worth a quick convo.

https://glasstecpaul.com

Edited by iborguk

35 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Only MoT failure if above a certain size I thought, like 4-5mm diameter?

Had mine filled with resin. Fell out after 4 years or so but still there and hasn’t got worse. 

I has a repair on my Mercedes windscreen and hated the result. I could always see it.

I think the size of the damage that fails an MOT is the size of a 5P piece - Sorry Meno, I don't know the Euro equivalent.

I had a small chip repaired by Autoglass, and they did a great job.  After they'd finished, no matter how close I looked, I couldn't see where they had repaired it.  Admittedly, it was pretty minor, but it was on the driver's side and in my eye line, so annoying enough that I had to get it sorted:

20210702_102307

1 hour ago, McDonald said:

I has a repair on my Mercedes windscreen and hated the result. I could always see it.

Mine is in dead centre of the screen thus not centre of drivers vision. Pleased it doesn’t irritate me as I’m looking at it for 10 hours straight right now! (driving from Pyrenees back to Lisbon; just changed drivers at Zaragoza).  

I had to have a replacement windscreen in my 2 month old 718 GTS due to a large stonechip. My insurers (Aviva) use Autoglass. I was a bit sceptical to say the least however I decided to go with it as the cost of going to my OPC was the best part of £1K. Aviva agreed that Autoglass could use an OE windscreen at no extra cost to me. Autoglass let me inspect the new screen prior to installation to ensure it was exactly the same as the existing one. Their work was faultless and I wouldn't hesitate using them again.

8 minutes ago, Stark9 said:

Well I used Aviva - just not sure whether they will see it as a repair or replacement 

I'm with Aviva, just call them and say you have a chip that needs filling. They will then give your details to the local approved place to arrange a visit, they will then decide if they can repair or have to replace it.

Looking at my details and assuming yours are the same, if you use your own company they will only stump up £50 towards it:

Glass Repair
Approved Repairer Windscreen Repair Limit Unlimited
Approved Repairer Windscreen Repair Excess £10
Non Approved Repairer Windscreen Repair Limit £50
Non Approved Repairer Windscreen Repair Excess £0

Glass Replacement
Approved Repairer Windscreen Replacement Limit Unlimited
Approved Repairer Windscreen Replacement Excess £115
Non Approved Repairer Windscreen Replacement Limit £50
Non Approved Repairer Windscreen Replacement Excess £0

For a chip that size I’d definitely be having it repaired rather than replaced, the possibility of issues with a replacement  screen far outweigh the downside of a repair IMO.  There are reports of: wind noise, condensation, DAB radio or GPS issues etc if you are unlucky with a replacement.

On 12/23/2021 at 9:46 AM, McDonald said:

I think the size of the damage that fails an MOT is the size of a 5P piece - Sorry Meno, I don't know the Euro equivalent.

Sorry Meno, I don't know the Euro equivalent

• Haha 2