Initial impressions….

Stuno1

Wheel size ref was for your Cayman (though it's probably a general comment). Most people Go Large for the looks - includes me - but those who know say handling is more responsive with the smaller sizes. A thought for you in future.

4 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Wheel size ref was for your Cayman (though it's probably a general comment). Most people Go Large for the looks - includes me - but those who know say handling is more responsive with the smaller sizes. A thought for you in future.

Yes this is good advice, if I had the X73 ride height I would be very tempted to downsize to the 19s that I bought and sit doing nothing in the garage.  You can even lower the profile of the tyre to 35s to lessen the gearing a tad.  I'm a sucker for the 20s though, they look too good.

5 minutes ago, daz05 said:

Yes this is good advice, if I had the X73 ride height I would be very tempted to downsize to the 19s that I bought and sit doing nothing in the garage.  You can even lower the profile of the tyre to 35s to lessen the gearing a tad.  I'm a sucker for the 20s though, they look too good.

I concur. My setup is just that. X73 and 19inch wheels. I’m tempted to try 20’s but am more than happy currently 👍

On 12/23/2021 at 6:00 PM, Stuno1 said:

Having driven the car for only 200 miles I thought I’d share my initial thoughts. 

Build quality: 

The build quality really is quite special!  The switch gear are solid feeling and surprisingly satisfying to use. The leather seats are really nice with decent leather and are very supportive and comfortable. The way all the doors and boots open and close is solid and feels robust. The car just feels solid and very well put together for every touch point. 

Storage:

The soft coverings inside the interior storage is great and welcome to limit noise from anything in there. The clever way they use internal space for storage is just that…. Clever. There is so much storage for the size of the car. I especially like the two sliding covered storage spaces either side in the rear. Perfect for medical kit, speed detailer and dome micro fibres. Also, who doesn’t like the cup holders. 

Instruments and gadgets:

Ergonomically it’s great and everything is where you expect it to be. It’s also very intuitive using the PCM unit. The PCM unit is great and having Bluetooth, nav etc is a necessity for me personally. Dual zone climate control should be standard… like a lot of other items such as auto dimming mirrors but ho hum. I can get the seat and steering wheel into the perfect position which being 6 foot 1 is not always the case in sports cars. I wasn’t sure if I would be able to with the non memory 1 million way adjustable seats. I also love the multi function right dial on the dash. It’s so good! Having the map on so I can see the corners coming up at a glance is brilliant. Again very easy to use. Porsche have done a great job making it easy to navigate the cars features. I like the upgraded headlights that turn with the road too. 

Styling:

To my eye it’s a very good looking car. The wheels are amazing and simple so easy to clean. PASM lowering the ride looks just right for me. The rear haunches are mega and look superb when using the wing mirrors. I love the interior and exterior styling. The only thing I plan to change is to add a duck tail wing and Porsche side decals. That’s it! 

Driving:

In all honesty it’s too early to tell. Weather is poop and I have not driven it enough. What I can tell is that PASM is amazing and makes a real difference when activated. The PSE is bloody amazing! Manual down shifts in sports or sports plus are intoxicating. The character change of the car between driving modes is simply incredible and a revelation. I love the steering wheel and paddle shifters too. They are lovely and positive to use. Some I have used in the past are plastic and mushy feeling, not the case here. The steering feel is great and direct with what seems to be a perfect weighting. The engine responsiveness is as you would expect from a naturally aspirated engine…. Sharp and perfect. I am yet to drive the car properly and do a launch control and can’t wait to do that. The PDK box is something else, amazingly fast changes, smooth changes when in comfort, aggressive when in sports plus…. It’s an incredible unit. The brake feel is solid and confidence inspiring. 

Conclusion:

I am blown away and it is better than my old same age lotus Evora s sr in every way. I simply love it. I just want better weather so I can drive it more! I will put PPF on the sides as that is a chip magnet. My car is ok so want that done before it gets worse. The whole package is just superb. As mentioned earlier, more stuff should be standard and not options. I am very glad I waited for a car with this spec. 

If you read all of that…. Well done. 

Stu

I thought about the Boxster a few years ago, the 987 but I opted for the BMW Z4 at the time. I went through 4 of them including the excellent Z4M roadster and the E89 35is, an excellent tourer.  I then had started looking at the 981 which had been unaffordable to me earlier.  Test drove a ‘15 Boxster S and was totally blown away.  The quality of the interior, switches, solid thump of the doors!  My 35is felt like a Lada on the way home.  
I pushed the boat out on a ‘14 GTS Boxster and everything you have said is true.  I’ve not really driven it even 200 miles as doing things over winter.  Spyder ducktail, paint refresh, paint correction and ceramic coating, ppf and center and side decals.  Then I’ll be finished.  Got it from an OPC and everything else is perfect!

There it is on collection day!

3435C1DE-E42B-4A6D-B537-BB9DAAF87DB3.jpeg

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Mr Bond said:

I thought about the Boxster a few years ago, the 987 but I opted for the BMW Z4 at the time. I went through 4 of them including the excellent Z4M roadster and the E89 35is, an excellent tourer.  I then had started looking at the 981 which had been unaffordable to me earlier.  Test drove a ‘15 Boxster S and was totally blown away.  The quality of the interior, switches, solid thump of the doors!  My 35is felt like a Lada on the way home.  
I pushed the boat out on a ‘14 GTS Boxster and everything you have said is true.  I’ve not really driven it even 200 miles as doing things over winter.  Spyder ducktail, paint refresh, paint correction and ceramic coating, ppf and center and side decals.  Then I’ll be finished.  Got it from an OPC and everything else is perfect!

There it is on collection day!

3435C1DE-E42B-4A6D-B537-BB9DAAF87DB3.jpeg

Looks lovely. Congratulations! I did apply the ‘Porsche’ side decals but took them off. Wasn’t a fan personally. I do want to get the ducktail at some stage and have joined the Porsche U.K. club so will leverage that discount when the time comes. Mine had 32k miles but that’s enough to chop the front to make PPF a waste of time at the moment. I am going to get the car correction detailed and have ceramic coating applied though. Look forward to more pics.