H7 to HID headlight kits

YorkshireBoxster

Ok so I've picked up my first Boxster, a very nice midnight blue with tan leather and the 1st thing I want to do is improve the headlights so wondering if anyone has fitted these or similar. 

https://porshop.co.uk/porsche-body-trim-parts/porsche-boxster-987-gen-1-body-trim-parts-2005-to-2009/porsche-boxster-987-gen-1-lights-light-upgrades-2005-to-2009/hid-light-kit-for-h7-bulb.html

Cheers

Mine has reflector lenses.

I've noted posts 23 and 31 here: https://rennlist.com/forums/987-forum/1178703-headlight-upgrade-on-987-standard-halogen-3.html but could go with alternative advice.

Edit: apologies to the OP - not trying to hijack the thread..

Edited by boer13

The projector/reflector comment is perfectly relevant for OP as well.  I don't know about LEDs, but for HID it was explained that reflector lenses spread the beam badly and thus risk to dazzle other users, while projector lenses work well to focus the beams.  The latter also conceal the bulb making a visual check difficult at MoT time.

I think the total ban is OTT for HID conversions, given that they allow drivers to see better at night, but there should be a FPN for a badly adjusted beam, aggravated if it involves brighter bulbs like HID or LED. Pay £100 for a professional to adjust your beams in a garage, or £400 fine if they aren't. A rational choice I'd hope - but we know people aren't rational.

5 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

The projector/reflector comment is perfectly relevant for OP as well.  I don't know about LEDs, but for HID it was explained that reflector lenses spread the beam badly and thus risk to dazzle other users, while projector lenses work well to focus the beams.  The latter also conceal the bulb making a visual check difficult at MoT time.

This basically. 

FWIW mine have been installed for a few thousand miles now and I haven't been flashed once by other drivers and it passed an MOT with them in the other day without issue.  I did spend some time making sure the beam pattern was correct though when i first installed them.  I just used tape markings on the garage door of the original set and then compared them to the replacement LED to make sure they were the installed at the right angle (you fit the holder first and then slide the LED unit itself in which can rotate within a rubber washer. I'd say definitely go for it if you have projector lenses, I haven't read up on viability of doing it if reflector style though.

Edited by Hainesy

I put these on my 987.1 with projectors (big lens is visible) . You have to cut the cover of the headlight case to put the ballast outside but fantastic light output  you can keep the ballast inside but I wasn’t happy doing that as it’s a bit of a squeeze! There are a couple of write ups on here and it’s an easy job 

H7 HIDS4U Stealth 55W Xenon HID 

Research update - thoughts about the physics.

LTR: Philips H7 halogen (a suitable reference point, I hope), 20Twenty LED, and Nighteye LED:

image.thumb.png.4257366347ff7c07796d2b1264392785.png

To function properly a replacement bulb should present the filament at the exact position to match the original design of the reflector / lens / light assembly. 

For easier comparison of the above 2 LED options to the 'reference' Halogen, I've resized the images below. Measurement based on scaling suggests that the 20Twenty may be a reasonable match for the Halogen, but the Nighteye not. This should hold for any vehicle which could use the Philips H7, independent of reflector/projector type design. 

image.png.011fb2ac344389280c477f9f661f7439.png

I'll not post on this again before next year. Happy miles all!

• Like 1

Just now, earley231186 said:

I have the nighteye LEDs. Visually they look great. But the light output through the projector is cr*p. 

I originally ordered “Nighteye” LEDs from Amazon and they were definitely fake Chinese copies when they arrived. The genuine article seem to be quite well reviewed (I went with a different make in the end tho so can’t compare)

13 minutes ago, Hainesy said:

I originally ordered “Nighteye” LEDs from Amazon and they were definitely fake Chinese copies when they arrived. The genuine article seem to be quite well reviewed (I went with a different make in the end tho so can’t compare)

Quite possible I have the same. They were in a night eye branded box etc. 

The full beams are excellent. The dipped not so much. 

I also have osram LEDs that's were about £100 but they throw a code so I removed them. Be interesting to run them and establish of they are any better. 

6 minutes ago, earley231186 said:

I also have osram LEDs that's were about £100 but they throw a code so I removed them. Be interesting to run them and establish of they are any better. 

Philips & Osram both do Canbus 'control' units - essentially just a resistor and a heatsink in a box I suspect.  I had to use a set with my Twenty20 LEDs as they started flickering when the temperatures dropped (although I didn't get an error on the dash). Might be worth a go with your Philips lights only £20ish - and you can always send them back if they don't make a difference. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-18952-°C2-Canbus-LED-Adaptor-Set/dp/B07C5PN1LH/ref=sr_1_3?crid=JVH09NP9U6WL&keywords=philips+canbus+h7&qid=1641038346&sprefix=philips+canbus+h7%2Caps%2C65&sr=8-3

Edited by Hainesy

10 minutes ago, Hainesy said:

Philips & Osram both do Canbus 'control' units - essentially just a resistor and a heatsink in a box I suspect.  I had to use a set with my Twenty20 LEDs as they started flickering when the temperatures dropped (although I didn't get an error on the dash). Might be worth a go with your Philips lights only £20ish - and you can always send them back if they don't make a difference. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-18952-°C2-Canbus-LED-Adaptor-Set/dp/B07C5PN1LH/ref=sr_1_3?crid=JVH09NP9U6WL&keywords=philips+canbus+h7&qid=1641038346&sprefix=philips+canbus+h7%2Caps%2C65&sr=8-3

I will order a set of them and give them a go. Maybe these will be a improvement on the night eye candles haha. 

2 hours ago, YorkshireBoxster said:

Thanks all. I have projector lenses so might look at thd led option rather than the hid conversion. 

2 hours ago, earley231186 said:

I have the nighteye LEDs. Visually they look great. But the light output through the projector is cr*p. 

Well, I've learnt yet another lesson: difference-between-projector-reflector-headlights

Earlier, I've incorrectly assessed my own as reflector type while they are actually projectors.. just like yours (and probably every other 987 🤷‍♂️)

From earley's note and the article above, Nighteye LEDs for the dipped beam is a no go. I think Twenty20 LEDs may be working (as confirmed by Hainesy) due to its dimensions being so similar to the Halogen unit. This may therefore be our LED option, next to HID's.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, YorkshireBoxster said:

Might look at ordering these as they seem to include the can us correction without additional widgets in some cases. If they prove to be good I would look to get the full beam changed too. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08N56JYJT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_2XSSV7N394PD5AJYYQ2G

Check the detail.  The small print seems to suggest they have the built which (should) avoid flicker (but might not) but need additional “adapters” to fool the control modules that the lamps are lit

Therefore, we have developed smart solutions to overcome those challenges. Philips’ unique CANbus adapters* ensure the vehicle’s lighting systems function smoothly, for reliable electrical performance over time. Please use Philips Adapter CANbus to remove inaccurate error message on the dashboard and Philips Light Repair CANbus* to remove flickering issue. 

*Philips Light Repair CANbus is directly integrated into our new-generation LED bulbs (Ultinon Pro9000 and Ultinon Pro5000). No need for additional accessories to remove flickering! In some rare cases, an additional light repair CANbus might be required to eliminate the flickering completely.

2 hours ago, Paul P said:

Check the detail.  The small print seems to suggest they have the built which (should) avoid flicker (but might not) but need additional “adapters” to fool the control modules that the lamps are lit

Therefore, we have developed smart solutions to overcome those challenges. Philips’ unique CANbus adapters* ensure the vehicle’s lighting systems function smoothly, for reliable electrical performance over time. Please use Philips Adapter CANbus to remove inaccurate error message on the dashboard and Philips Light Repair CANbus* to remove flickering issue. 

*Philips Light Repair CANbus is directly integrated into our new-generation LED bulbs (Ultinon Pro9000 and Ultinon Pro5000). No need for additional accessories to remove flickering! In some rare cases, an additional light repair CANbus might be required to eliminate the flickering completely.

Another £20 or so for these CANbus adapters to make their LEDs work, takes the price of the Philips LED system to around three times the price of HIDS4U Stealth HIDs kit that delivers the same brightness and colour.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Codfanglers said:

Another £20 or so for these CANbus adapters to make their LEDs work, takes the price of the Philips LED system to around three times the price of HIDS4U Stealth HIDs kit that delivers the same brightness and colour.

I had 2 Hids4u kits fitted to a 987.1 and 987.2. Faultless and a lot brighter than me.