H7 to HID headlight kits

YorkshireBoxster

2 hours ago, YorkshireBoxster said:

Hi Andy, do the ballast boxes fit nicely as I am tempted by them now that I've seen the prices etc. Thinking the 35w version as the 55 might be a bit bright. Cheers

The three boxes for each H7 lamp fit quite easily into the back of the light housing, but if you want main beams as well there won't be room to get another set of boxes in there. 

No CANbus errors. I went 35W for the same reason (see recent thread). 

Yellow wire is +ve, Brown is earth.

Edited by Codfanglers
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, boer13 said:

Would insurance companies regard a halogen -> anything else upgrade, as a vehicle modification?

Probably if it was a contributing factor into an accident but with projectors giving an accurate light pattern and brightness still less than modern headlamps why would it be?

I fitted the ballast boxes inside the standard headlamp casings with no problem. I used some 2inch wide heavy duty velcro. The heat wasnt an issue as the velcor didn't melt or become unnattached. Much better solution IMHO than dangling tye ballasts on the outside of the casings to rattle around in the elements.

1 hour ago, Codfanglers said:

Probably if it was a contributing factor into an accident but with projectors giving an accurate light pattern and brightness still less than modern headlamps why would it be?

Arguably this is nit picking. Recently needed to complete the annual red tape, and recall the question 'has this vehicle been modified in any way'? While better lights most certainly will assist to prevent incidents, I don't want to compromise my cover. I can check with them, but was hoping somebody here already knows the answer. 

13 minutes ago, boer13 said:

Arguably this is nit picking. Recently needed to complete the annual red tape, and recall the question 'has this vehicle been modified in any way'? While better lights most certainly will assist to prevent incidents, I don't want to compromise my cover. I can check with them, but was hoping somebody here already knows the answer. 

Should I contact my insurance company about fitting reversing sensors and changing the speakers in the doors?

21 hours ago, boer13 said:

Would insurance companies regard a halogen -> anything else upgrade, as a vehicle modification?

Given that it is currently deemed "not for road use" (in other words illegal on the road) for any such mod unless the vehicle is pre 86 (iirc) then your insurance would likely be void if going by the word of the law. In reality I think it would have to be very specific circumstances for that to happen such as extremely bright bulbs in a reflector lens throwing blinding light all over the place which caused a serious collision. 

Kind of like an aftermarket bike exhaust/full system which is race only. I've been stood next to police when bikes clearly fitted with race systems pull out of a bike meet and they just make a mental note for potential future use. In other words don't break the law when you're breaking the law. 

Make of that what you will. 

Edited by YorkshireBoxster
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/2/2022 at 8:57 PM, Codfanglers said:

The three boxes for each H7 lamp fit quite easily into the back of the light housing, but if you want main beams as well there won't be room to get another set of boxes in there. 

No CANbus errors. I went 35W for the same reason (see recent thread). 

Yellow wire is +ve, Brown is earth.

Thanks Codfanglers, I went the same route (H7's only) and v happy with the complete transformation. The Mrs had to lend a hand so I could take a few pics, but no drilling required - everything fits easily as you've mentioned. IMG_20220115_1246328.jpg.326c15c9e532d53118aa488a9b0a74a4.jpg

60min job. Car's happy too. Last pic before closing up: IMG_20220115_1257551.thumb.jpg.cb796ee7557c7ea3e217ded5af0a6b21.jpg

Edited by boer13
  • Like 1

I'd also like brighter dipped lights in my 06 987, but being a technical doofus lean strongly towards the simplest solution of just switching bulbs if possible.

Would switching to LED bulbs like these make much difference and would it trigger any warning lights?
https://www.hids4u.co.uk/led-car-foglight-bulb-h7-477/?finder_tab=abd_bulbs&finder_end=front&finder_type=led_bulbs

If they are ok, any specific recomendations?

Or would just upgrading the bulbs to better quality ones like these given any tangible benefit
https://www.hids4u.co.uk/porsche-boxster-convertible-2006-06.html

And again if so, any specific recommendations.

I believe I have projector lens' but would't put my mortgage on it.

Thanks

ChrisW2 your Q leans towards those early on in this thread. Then some users explained the advantages of Xenons. And some others complained about their LED attempts.

In all cases, installation is pretty much the same effort and requires you to operate the headlight removal tool and a screw driver. That's it. So I suggest read this thread top to bottom & then decide which type you want - as mentioned, it's all the same (minimal) effort.

Good luck

• Like 1

@ChrisW2, I’ve just fitted these

https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/h7-twenty20-projector-led-headlight-bulbs-pair.html

and they’ve made a big step up from the standard bulb, probably quite a lot due to the whiteness (6000K) of the beam.

Previous LEDs I tried were more yellow coloured and also flickered at low temperatures so I also installed Philips CANBUS adapters which just go in line between the OEM connection and the LED bulb. I followed the guide that @Hainesy made and it all worked first time. The hardest part was taking the headlight out and putting it back in again as I was worried about breaking the headlight, but take your time and it will make sense when you actually try it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BBB said:

https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/h7-twenty20-projector-led-headlight-bulbs-pair.html

and they’ve made a big step up from the standard bulb, probably quite a lot due to the whiteness (6000K) of the beam.

Previous LEDs I tried were more yellow coloured and also flickered at low temperatures so I also installed Philips CANBUS adapters which just go in line between the OEM connection and the LED bulb. I followed the guide that @Hainesy made and it all worked first time. The hardest part was taking the headlight out and putting it back in again as I was worried about breaking the headlight, but take your time and it will make sense when you actually try it.

Can you remember which way round they went? I've read the reviews and one mentions v up/down. I'm tempted by these over the hids due to the instant light. 

5 hours ago, YorkshireBoxster said:

Can you remember which way round they went? I've read the reviews and one mentions v up/down. I'm tempted by these over the hids due to the instant light. 

The pointy bit of the ‘V’ shape that the LED elements sit in was pointing downwards. It also matches the orientation that they were supplied, so the tab on the LED surround matches the gap in the bulb holder without any changes.

• Thanks 1

On 12/31/2021 at 5:07 PM, TV8 said:

I put these on my 987.1 with projectors (big lens is visible) . You have to cut the cover of the headlight case to put the ballast outside but fantastic light output  you can keep the ballast inside but I wasn’t happy doing that as it’s a bit of a squeeze! There are a couple of write ups on here and it’s an easy job 

H7 HIDS4U Stealth 55W Xenon HID 

I managed to fit the power supply inside the housing. Same kit.

On 1/29/2022 at 11:15 AM, DaveEFI said:

I managed to fit the power supply inside the housing. Same kit.

You can fit them in but from memory, some of the reviews talk about the heat of the ballasts. Are you pleased with the light output? I thought they were fantastic!

On 1/28/2022 at 11:03 PM, BBB said:

Thank you will give it a go.