Is it just me, or do you also hate dishonest sellers?

RedBarediver

I'm currently thinking about a 996 again - not planning on selling the Boxster, but would love to add a 996 to the stable. I'm not worried about whether it's Cat N or even Cat S, as long as it was properly repaired and well maintained etc. Looking at a few on Autotrader to see if I can spot a bargain and I run across this:

1998 Black Porsche 911 3.4 996 Carrera 2 Tiptronic S 2dr for sale for £14,500 in STOKE-ON-TRENT, STAFFORDSHIRE (autotrader.co.uk)

This guy advertises the car as having 63,000 miles on the clock when the odometer clearly shows over 121,000. To be fair, it looks like it got a new engine etc in 2005 so maybe it's done 63k on that engine? The guy does say it has a new engine etc etc etc. However, a new engine in 2005 that now has 63,000 miles on the clock isn't exactly a new engine that was put in last week, now is it?

I don't know. To me he comes across as dishonest. Makes me wonder what else is he massaging the facts about.

Doesn't read dishonest to me, just someone not great at wording an advert and you reading too much into how it's written and what's not written. Have you spoken to them? It says he has lots of paperwork, if you're interested best to view in person and read the paperwork, question him on the history and contact the previous owners as they will be listed on the paperwork and see if it ties up to the story, then you can really judge if he's dishonest or not.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, CMA said:

Doesn't read dishonest to me, just someone not great at wording an advert and you reading too much into how it's written and what's not written. Have you spoken to them? It says he has lots of paperwork, if you're interested best to view in person and read the paperwork, question him on the history and contact the previous owners as they will be listed on the paperwork and see if it ties up to the story, then you can really judge if he's dishonest or not.

Fair comment. I am not really interested in his car but I take your point. Seeing it in the flesh (so to speak) and meeting him may make me change my mind.

2 hours ago, RedBarediver said:

I'm currently thinking about a 996 again - not planning on selling the Boxster, but would love to add a 996 to the stable. I'm not worried about whether it's Cat N or even Cat S, as long as it was properly repaired and well maintained etc. Looking at a few on Autotrader to see if I can spot a bargain and I run across this:

1998 Black Porsche 911 3.4 996 Carrera 2 Tiptronic S 2dr for sale for £14,500 in STOKE-ON-TRENT, STAFFORDSHIRE (autotrader.co.uk)

This guy advertises the car as having 63,000 miles on the clock when the odometer clearly shows over 121,000. To be fair, it looks like it got a new engine etc in 2005 so maybe it's done 63k on that engine? The guy does say it has a new engine etc etc etc. However, a new engine in 2005 that now has 63,000 miles on the clock isn't exactly a new engine that was put in last week, now is it?

I don't know. To me he comes across as dishonest. Makes me wonder what else is he massaging the facts about.

MOT history doesn’t shout “someone’s baby”.  Looks to have done less than 1500 miles in 3 years but most recent pass had no advisories so maybe it got some attention for that because it’s been presented for mot with repeated advisories for a few years before that.  That kind of tallies with the list of things replaced.  

But. The mot that is current , tested march 2021 had mileage of 122,035.  The photo shows 121,780. 

so old photo or variable mileage….

My personal feeling   It’s cheap, likely for a reason but might be worth a look to see what it’s like up close but it doesn’t feel a bargain 

Yes I hate dishonest sellers.

Most dealers couldn't lie straight in bed and it is always difficult to fully understand whether they are being deliberately misleading, thick or simply lazy.

The fellas above are right, you need to go see it.

4 minutes ago, GmanB said:

I think it's pretty common to have lack of information on a car ad. What really annoys me is when they simply plaster details about the dealership/finance and nothing about the car!

Trying to build the dealership reputation. Most of us aren't buying that stuff although Mortimers might be an exception that proves the rule.

It's a bit like the ad's you see saying 1000's spent, or new clutch, suspension etc etc, but the receipts showing it was 5 years ago 

10 minutes ago, dunks said:

It's a bit like the ad's you see saying 1000's spent, or new clutch, suspension etc etc, but the receipts showing it was 5 years ago 

Well, 5 years ago is better than untouched in 23 years...  At least someone put their hand in their pocket and you should get another 8-10 years out of the suspension in the theoretical example you give rather than definitely really needing to do it straight away.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, dunks said:

Exactly. Advert says new engine which creates the impression it was recently replaced - but looking into it you can see it was installed in 2005. Not saying he's deliberately being vague but it does raise questions in my mind. I have no issue if someone wants to say that a new engine was installed but then put the details like installed in 2005, done 60,000 + miles since then without an issue etc etc etc. That's absolutely fine.

My Boxster is a Cat S after an argument with a truck on the M25. IF I do sell it one day I'll make sure to put all the before, during and after repair pictures in the advert so people can make an informed decision. Anything else is just a waste of everyone's time.

• Like 1

I am more put off by the grammar, spelling and use of capitals more than the car details, but if you have a new "BUISNESS VENTURE" and you are willing to consider "OART EX CHESPER CAR IF IT HELOS" then I don't really want to buy anything from you, if you can't take 15 mins to create an ad, then do I really want a car that you have owned for 4 years?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Paul P said:

I am more put off by the grammar, spelling and use of capitals more than the car details, but if you have a new "BUISNESS VENTURE" and you are willing to consider "OART EX CHESPER CAR IF IT HELOS" then I don't really want to buy anything from you, if you can't take 15 mins to create an ad, then do I really want a car that you have owned for 4 years?

:D:D

On 1/2/2022 at 10:30 AM, GmanB said:

I think it's pretty common to have lack of information on a car ad. What really annoys me is when they simply plaster details about the dealership/finance and nothing about the car!

My pet hate too. It says to me they are not interested in selling to anyone who may have a gram of interest, knowledge or enthusiasm for the car they are buying. They want a buyer they can sell a package to for the highest possible price irrespective of quality, of any part, least of all the car.

• Like 1

I bought a 996 C4 to join my Boxster a few months ago and yes there are some real skips out there advertised as minters, the only way really is to look at the car and speak to the seller and go from your gut, history and receipts along with condition is the best way to then judge the car.

• Like 1