Looking at a 981 S…

moonshine

Hi.

This is my first venture into the Porsche world and im looking at a buying a 981 Boxster S at the moment - the one i have got my eye on is a reasonably well spec’d 2012 Silver 981 S private sale £37K and 10K miles on the clock… on auto trader.

I’ve had MX5, BMW Z4, BMW 335d etc before and I’m currently skulking in a MB C250d wagon at the moment 😱 as my company pay me an allowance and it falls in the emissions bracket.  The Boxster would be a second car as whilst the MB is privately owned and paid for, i need to keep this to continue to receive my £6kPA company car allowance….

The Boxster S is a 2 owner car  … the first owner had from new as a garage baby with full stamped and up to date PSH.  

The second owner only bought it in Sept 21. The story given is he has a 911 and a PCGM member, and bought it for his wife - but she doesn’t like it, hence the sale… (but this has got my spider senses tingling…. no reason - maybe just suspicious!!  I’m wondering if hte owner has found an issue and wants to punt it on to an unsuspecting buyer?)

One of the issues i have is the car is in located London (Wimbledon) and i am in Glasgow - so it a lot of commitment / time to drive down to see / test drive, get a PPI to make sure there is not anything wrong with it before i part with cash and then leave a deposit whilst i put finances in place to complete the transaction, then return to complete hte deal and collect the car..

I was also wondering if it is worth getting it put through a 111 point inspection with a view to taking out an extended Porsche Warranty? What would the best way to get this sorted? - What is the cost of the 111 point check ahead of taking out the warranty? 

Am i correct that i need to have had the car for 3 months before i can look at the check / Porsche warranty? If that is the case - it is perhaps something the current owner could do (and transfer to me at cost?) 

Spec is as follows 

Silver

20” Carrera S wheels

Back Leather

Bi xenon Lights

Folding Mirrors

PDK

Park assist F&R

PCM

Sports Tailpipe

Sound Plus Package

Leather Package

Sports Chrono

Thanks for your comments/ advice

Welcome. As long as the most recent service was at a porsche main dealer then you can have a 111 point inspection undertaken for roughly £215. Then add a warranty for roughly £700. If anything comes back as non Porsche you will need of replaced to have the warranty. The current owner could do as you suggest but it’s a bit of hassle for them to go through. 

I went third party warranty myself with a company called Motoreasy for leave of mind. 

I would not buy without a PPI either by porsche or a independent individual.

I would want to know it it’s been garaged too. One year of neglect can undo all the years of being treated properly. 

Edited by Stuno1
  • Thanks 1

Hi - welcome...

the porsche 111 point inspection is about 200 quid - its quite detailed, but does focus on things that matter to the Porsche warranty underwriters ( has it got a Porsche battery in it, does it have 3rd party mods etc. has it got matching n rated tyres all round, not more than 5/6 years old etc) so if you want to know "is it how porsche would like it" then it's great (and a pre-requisite for Porsche warranty) - but it you want to know "is it good enough - then they might not say (for example) "the shocks are 3rd party but fine, it's got 3rd party components in the brakes but they are fine and it has got good tyres ( but not n rated ) all round"

Pays your money etc.....

My spider senses woul twitch at "bough in september and didn't like it" as well.

Care to share the link to the ad - we are good at picking holes in adverts and also brilliant at spending other peoples money .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Guessing it is this one? https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202111229841042

If it's a second car, will you be putting much mileage on it? I'd be more concerned its sat doing nothing for long periods of time, maybe even still on the original tyres, check date code on the sidewall to see. It will also be due the 10 year service in 5 months, so another expense to factor in. 

It has Sport Chrono, so see if any dynamic transmission mounts have been replaced at any point. No PSE, might not be a problem but I wouldn't buy one without or I'd have it fitted (£2.4k'ish cost), standard steering wheel with buttons not the flappy paddle wheel, again might be your preference. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, CMA said:

Guessing it is this one? https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202111229841042

If it's a second car, will you be putting much mileage on it? I'd be more concerned its sat doing nothing for long periods of time, maybe even still on the original tyres, check date code on the sidewall to see. It will also be due the 10 year service in 5 months, so another expense to factor in. 

It has Sport Chrono, so see if any dynamic transmission mounts have been replaced at any point. No PSE, might not be a problem but I wouldn't buy one without or I'd have it fitted (£2.4k'ish cost), standard steering wheel with buttons not the flappy paddle wheel, again might be your preference. 

That is the one. 😉

I noticed it had buttons vs paddles. Paddles would be a preference, but I could always retrofit for about £1k or add aftermarket for about £500

Tyres have reportedly been replaced 6months ago.

Was garaged in former life. Wouldn't be garaged going forward though  🙁

Just now, moonshine said:

That is the one. 😉

I noticed it had buttons vs paddles. Paddles would be a preference, but I could always retrofit for about £1k or add aftermarket for about £500

Check what tires are in it now. Have a chat as you can gain a lot of or lose confidence that way. Definitely have a PPI undertaken. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, moonshine said:

That is the one. 😉

Hi and welcome.

What's your approach to the unexpected - you looking to Porsche warranty it or stick some cash aside ?

Edited by iborguk
  • Thanks 1

Looks lovely to me apart from the steering wheel, which is important seeing as you touch it all the time!

Get it bought and put some miles on it would be my advice.  If you're keeping it outside perhaps invest in a Stoplock & Cabrioshield 1/2 cover to prevent the drains clogging up.

From the pictures it looks good & the mileage being low gives you a ton of head space to rack up 'free' miles too.  

If you're of a nervous disposition then get it OPC warrantied via the 111 point check etc - I'm glad to be away from this quite honestly as your hands are tied with the Porsche gestapo restrictions & hope I haven't jinxed it now too!

Never has this saying been more appropriate: "You snooze & you lose"

Enjoy the ride - cracking cars!

Edited by GTSMarky
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, moonshine said:

^There is an idea…

How much would i expect to pay / how long would a Pre-Purchase inspection take to carry out? (would a 111 point check be equivalent / more (or less) thorough than a PPI?

Paul explains in the 3rd post in this thread, the 111 point check is looking for suitability for Porsche warranty. A PPI will advise you if the car is a good buy.

22 minutes ago, GTSMarky said:

..why not fly down and get the seller to pick you up in the car?

Pop along to the servicing dealer for a pre-arranged inspection & away you go!

This is the most exciting way to buy a car, definitely. You'll never forget the occasion. 

• Like 1

I have taken a train to Hull with a 1 way ticket before to buy a bike, driven to Falkirk with an empty trailer and a pile of cash to buy a bike, driven to Heywood with an empty trailer and a pile of cash to buy a bike - this time I came back with an empty trailer and no RD 350 YPVS which in hindsight was a massive mistake...etc etc so quite a few random mystery tours & all were memorable.

Personally I'd drive the car about for an hour and if nothing fell off I'd then fill it up and drive up the M1.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Stuno1 said:

It took the bloke 3 hours to do mine. The issue you have with this is that if something is wrong you have forked out for flights and hotel as well as a PPI. 

Still cheaper that buying a lemon…

my MiL lives near Amersham, so i could stay over there…. So no hotel required…

it would just be so much easier without Covid risks on public transport…. The thought of flying or train at the moment is not appealing 

3 minutes ago, moonshine said:

my MiL lives near Amersham, so i could stay over there…. So no hotel required…

it would just be so much easier without Covid risks on public transport…. The thought of flying or train at the moment is not appealing 

Don’t disagree that’s why I would and did have a PPI undertaken then went to collect the car once I had the result of that inspection. 

13 hours ago, moonshine said:

That is the one. 😉

Don't buy it. No PSE.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, moonshine said:

That is the one. 😉

Paddles only come on the sport wheel.

Buttons come on the multi function wheel which can have heating as an option.  Thats my favourite option if I am honest.  I do like getting the roof down when the weather isnt great and bum warmers only do half the job.  A heated steering wheel is just nice.

I never use the buttons.  The PDK is far more clever than you will ever be.  You would probably never use the paddles.

Just now, ATM said:

Paddles only come on the sport wheel.

Buttons come on the multi function wheel which can have heating as an option.  Thats my favourite option if I am honest.  I do like getting the roof down when the weather isnt great and bum warmers only do half the job.  A heated steering wheel is just nice.

I never use the buttons.  The PDK is far more clever than you will ever be.  You would probably never use the paddles.

Forget all that - your chosen car has the standard wheel.  I dont think that will have heating.

9fd0e0f160614b3283cfd6fa324d4212.jpg

37 minutes ago, moonshine said:

If you can't tell by looking and driving it then perhaps wise to go OPC and remove as much risk as you feel comfortable with.  Likewise with regards other humans and your local OPC..

54 minutes ago, JonSta said:

I were spending that much I wouldn't buy a car without paddles, PASM and a PSE. And I would like an LSD. There was one with all that for the same price but higher mileage. You pays your money.

Thinking on I don't think I'd buy such a car privately. Just me....

There is no Cruise Control on it either… that is a must as well. So i think I’ll move on and keep looking.

29 minutes ago, moonshine said:

There is no Cruise Control on it either… that is a must as well. So i think I’ll move on and keep looking.

Sadly it is a waiting game and jumping when the right spec car come up. Could be weeks or could be months. Know what are must haves and what can be sacrificed. Good luck with the search. 

• Thanks 1

From the MOT history it suggests the tyres were replaced in 2019 - be surprised if they’ve been replaced again 

on the plus side, seems like a good price for the age and miles - assume you are happy to pay that sort of price privately with no comeback? I’d personally be looking for a dealer to at least have some level of comeback for any issues 

2012 S with Paddles and PASM at RSJ - https://www.cargurus.co.uk/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?zip=RG22 5LS&maxPrice=40000&distance=660&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d3716#listing=147232641/NONE

2013 with Paddles but no PASM

https://www.cargurus.co.uk/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?zip=RG22 5LS&maxPrice=40000&distance=660&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d3716#listing=146607672/NONE

Edited by Mattman42