Frozen windows

Justchris

Hi Guys,

Experienced my first real problem this morning!!

We had a heavy frost last night (I'm a southern softie so not really used to it) and my Boxster is my daily and lives on the drive. When I unlocked her and attempted to open the drivers door the window wouldn't (couldn't) drop. I cleared the frost from along the window seal, but it still wouldn't drop I could hear the motor try. I gently opened the door with the window in the full up position thinking while I was de-icing the rest of the car with everything set to demist, and the door closed (not properly as the window was still fully up) that it may defrost enough to work. Worked my way around the car de-icing, got back to drivers door, lifted the handle and the window still wouldn't drop!! And now wouldn't operate on the switch either. After the initial panic had subsided a little I got out my phone and asked google, with very few results except a few for reset procedure which all required you to be able to open and close the window!! Panic started to rise again and I tried the switch again in case by some magic it had fixed itself, which was lucky as it now rolled almost all the way down!! Ah a sigh of relief, closed door, pressed button to roll up window and, window rolls all the way up and then halfway back down!! Hmmm try again same result. Press open, window runs all the way down. Press close, window runs all the way up, then back down half way. A brainwave strikes me, inch it up until its almost full closed and drive to work. Arrive at work, gently pull the handle to open the door, window doesn't drop 😱. Give in, inch window down until its just clear of the seal, close door, lock car and go into work!!

Fast forward 2 hours and I decide to go and have another play. window is exactly as I left it (well what did I expect), unlock car and open door, window doesn't move. Run window up and down a few times with no issue and I'm now think its fixed itself, then I remember that I have the door open and the window now fully up! Bang my head against steering wheel a few times, and I suddenly remember the reset procedure. I follow the instructions with my fingers crossed, and all seems OK, except I'm still stuck with the window fully up and the door open. I abandon all hope, switch off the ignition to go back to work. Go to shut the door and remember I need to drop the window so I can shut it, put key in ignition switch on and window drops slightly 🎉🎉

And now to the point of this post, well other than as a warning to other not to be an idiot and try to open the door with a frozen window! I know that there must be a few other mad individuals who use there Boxster as a daily and don't have the luxury of a heated garage to keep them in so what do you do to prevent this from happening??

Thanks in advance

A silicone spray, just on the top portion of the seal helped me last year. But I still found that it was best to pour some warm (not hot) water from the roof edge to just defrost the top of the window. You only need to do this to the drivers side so it doesn’t take long.

• Like 1

On the 986, and I assume following models, there is a second seal below the external window seal you can see. In my experience it is this lower second seal which remains frozen to the window preventing the window from dropping. I have a credit card sized ice scraper which I  run along the second seal to free it. Window drops immediately.

4 minutes ago, Boxob said:

On the 986, and I assume following models, there is a second seal below the external window seal you can see. In my experience it is this lower second seal which remains frozen to the window preventing the window from dropping. I have a credit card sized ice scraper which I  run along the second seal to free it. Window drops immediately.

Thanks, I suspect that may be the case on the 981 too, I ran my nice warm fingers along the upper seal and that defrosted the glass in that area and the seal seemed to be free, however the window still wouldn't budge.

I suspect I'll get the chance to take another look at it tomorrow morning, or maybe I'll just steal the wife's car and leave mine at home

oh yeah, i've had this. the one day i needed to take my boxster to work is the one day there is a heavy frost. obviously, my major problem was just getting the door open in the first place, kinda difficult without the window dropping. and then once thats done, getting the door closed again, again without the window dropping.

i could hear the motor trying to drop the window, but it was frozen solid. didnt realise there was a lower seal that freezes as well. i figured once i'd got the glass unfrozen at the top it would start working again, but no.

got a trackday planned in the middle of january, and knowing my luck it'll be a hard frost that morning too. if i remember, will bring some bottles of water inside the night before so they're 20 degrees or so, which should defrost things without cracking anything.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Justchris said:

been thinking of a half cover anyway to protect the roof, and hopefully prevent any drain issues!! Any recommendations?

Expensive but really good, breathable so prevents moisture collecting/sweating.

https://cabrioshield.com/uk/porsche-boxster-981-premium.html

I have one , which I was lucky enough to pickup from the forum for my 987.2

5 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Expensive but really good, breathable so prevents moisture collecting/sweating.

https://cabrioshield.com/uk/porsche-boxster-981-premium.html

I have one , which I was lucky enough to pickup from the forum for my 987.2

51738088395_9a89d11a01_b.jpg

Ouch

Just found this one from UK Custom Covers Porsche Boxster 981 Tailored Half Cover- Black (2012-2016) (ukcustomcovers.com) which looks very similar but not breathable at 1/3rd the price. Might take a chance on it.

28 minutes ago, Justchris said:

Ouch

Just found this one from UK Custom Covers Porsche Boxster 981 Tailored Half Cover- Black (2012-2016) (ukcustomcovers.com) which looks very similar but not breathable at 1/3rd the price. Might take a chance on it.

I had one of those originally.

The cover will sweat , causing condensation as the fabric isn't breathable.

It'll be fine if you just want to use it overnight but it's not designed for long-term use, unlike the £££ one.

Edited by iborguk

2 hours ago, iborguk said:

I had one of those originally.

The cover will sweat , causing condensation as the fabric isn't breathable.

It'll be fine if you just want to use it overnight but it's not designed for long-term use, unlike the £££ one.

OK thanks for that, mine is a daily driver and very rarely sits for more than a day.

I think I'll chance it and if its not great and doesn't work out for my needs I'll bite the bullet and buy the cabrioshield

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Justchris said:

OK thanks for that, mine is a daily driver and very rarely sits for more than a day.

I think I'll chance it and if its not great and doesn't work out for my needs I'll bite the bullet and buy the cabrioshield

Probably fine for your needs then. See how you go.....good luck.

• Like 1

Last winter I had the frozen window problem on my 981 Boxster and 997 coupe (no top door frame so window freezes to rubber).  I forced it with window fully up.  Then had to drive to work with door not closing properly because window wouldn’t drop!  Next morning the easiest way I found to defrost and get everything working properly was to gently warm with a hairdryer (used it around top of window, handle/lock and bits of door).  All was good after that. 

3 hours ago, Maxthedane said:

Last winter I had the frozen window problem on my 981 Boxster and 997 coupe (no top door frame so window freezes to rubber).  I forced it with window fully up.  Then had to drive to work with door not closing properly because window wouldn’t drop!  Next morning the easiest way I found to defrost and get everything working properly was to gently warm with a hairdryer (used it around top of window, handle/lock and bits of door).  All was good after that. 

All the hairdresser jokes are flashing before my eyes lol 😂 

• Haha 2

Had a UK Custom Cover for about an hour, a right PITA to get on , so sent back .

Have had this Half Cover for past 2 years and can't recommend it enough. It's proved it's fully waterproof over time, and so easy to fit in a minute. I've added a couple of loops so I can tie it in the middle( small rope running under car and picking up loop on other side) after folding in the mirrors. With this done it is very stable in strong wind and does not flap about due to the corners being fixed by elastic straps down to wheel spokes. 

It is a SUMEX Premium Semi Cover,. SMALL size. Was about £20 last time I looked on AMAZON.

SUMEX Cover, Small ttps://imgur.com/gallery/sMbkbWah a photo

21 hours ago, Justchris said:

been thinking of a half cover anyway to protect the roof, and hopefully prevent any drain issues!! Any recommendations?

Cabrioshield.  I use mine each time the car's in/out and it's a piece of cake to fit/remove.

I'd also advise treating both your hood and the cover with Fabsil Gold & putting a good StopLock on which seeing as you need to open/close the door to use the cover is just part of the routine.

6th Jan 22

Edited by GTSMarky

6 hours ago, GTSMarky said:

Cabrioshield.  I use mine each time the car's in/out and it's a piece of cake to fit/remove.

I'd also advise treating both your hood and the cover with Fabsil Gold & putting a good StopLock on which seeing as you need to open/close the door to use the cover is just part of the routine.

6th Jan 22

Thanks, maybe I will bite the bullet and go straight for the cabrioshield 🤔

Roof was treated with a Protex World Convertible Soft Top care kit

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B081HBY3LN?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

shortly after I bought her, came highly recommended from a friend. Can't compare to the fabsil as not used it.

Already have and use the Stoplock Pro after researching on here back in August 👍🏻

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GTSMarky said:

StopLock Pro.  If you position your wheel ~90 degrees ish to the left the Stoplock rests on the PDK lever nicely, so no pressure on the leather - or if you're posh Alcantara!

StopLock

Snap, that's how I put mine on, took me a while to get used to leaving the steering wheel in that position, but do it unconsciously now 😀

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Justchris said:

Snap, that's how I put mine on, took me a while to get used to leaving the steering wheel in that position, but do it unconsciously now 😀

I use one of these if I'm parked anywhere unfamiliar. Probably off-putting for the casual thief, surely no problem for a professional?

Then again, a pro probably isn't considering my car.