Gear cable change, help needed

Delaneycatz

Hi all. Need some advice on how to remove the gear selection cable from the fixing bracket just before the cables attach to the gear box. Stripping down the car is no problem and removing the cables from the gear box where they attach is easy but I can’t work out how to remove the cables from the retaining bracket just before the gearbox connection. Any one undertaken this themselves? 

1 hour ago, Delaneycatz said:

Hi all. Need some advice on how to remove the gear selection cable from the fixing bracket just before the cables attach to the gear box. Stripping down the car is no problem and removing the cables from the gear box where they attach is easy but I can’t work out how to remove the cables from the retaining bracket just before the gearbox connection. Any one undertaken this themselves? 

Don't.

Remove the bracket with the 2 torx bolts instead.

Much, much easier :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Delaneycatz said:

Can’t seem to locate the right hand cable into its housing coming off the gear shifter. Anyone else had this issue?

Have you slid the collar back and turned it 90 degrees to lock?

If so, it is the reversal of this once you have the cable in the housing

14 minutes ago, Delaneycatz said:

Hi Trooper

thats not the issue. The cable isn’t long enough to slip into the connection. If you notice the photo due to the design the thread wont locate into the coupling 

Do you have it in gear at the box?

If so, take it out of gear

I had to adjust that cable to be longer when I fitted the 987/997 shift to my 986.  I made sure it stayed in neutral whilst doing it and with the lever locked in place by the green tool.

4 hours ago, Delaneycatz said:

How did you adjust that cable to be longer?

lengthened may be the wrong description, it was may be more a case of adjusting the lever position by 5 or 6 mm now I think about it.

1 hour ago, Delaneycatz said:

I hope so. The part supplier quoted the same part number that is in line with the parts catalog and what came off. There is no part number on the cables so I have to hope they are right. I have message them and asked them to confirm

3.2/6 speed cable should be 986 424 042 xx  (xx is 05, 06, 07 or 08 depending on the up issue).