Vanity Plates

Jackrabbit

I have never paid the extra money for optional custom or themed license plates. I figure that the state gets enough tax revenue from me already. However, the other day I popped into my local DMV to check out the just released Oregon "Salmon" plates. When I saw them I knew I had to get a set. I could immediately visualize how nice they would look on my seal grey jackrabbit as opposed to the boring, standard issue, basic white plates that currently were on the car. What further cemented my purchase was the number sequence on the next plate out of the box that would be mine upon purchase. I never seem to get a plate number that is easy to memorize. Now I have one that I can remember even when stoned. The wife mused that I now pamper the car more than her. She may be right ......... cheers, tommy z

salmon 1.jpg

salmon 2.jpg

• Like 7

Great number plate, but I do feel for you having those ugly bits either side of it. I guess this was some NA regulation at the time? Are they removable?

No idea what 01111 means in binary, you could be insulting people. 👍:) 

Edited by GmanB

1 hour ago, McDonald said:

I find registration plates interesting. I saw one recently in Windsor 'SKI 80Y'. Just fun.

38 minutes ago, T911UK said:

Cant be that combination

Deliberately modified J ??

I'll admit to having one, P555 BRG on a dark green Impreza Turbo.  Also my business at the time was BRG Technical.  The only time it has seemed vaguely relevant to me.

I’ve never bought a plate but my old Land Rover is RGC which is my partners Dads initials. Also my 986 came with a nice plate which the PO had bought when they bought the car 23 years ago and spelt his wife’s name. I’ve tried to get my partner to change her name but she’s having non of it 😄

• Haha 1

I have a personal plate - just an old single letter prefix, single digit, initials thing - was about 250 quid straight from DVLA - kids bought it for me when I got my 1st boxster,  as a Christmas present.

My old 911 had an NL "GIL" plate on it when I bought it, and when I sold it.

Just my version of "stickers and stripes" - makes me smile.

21 hours ago, Jackrabbit said:

I have never paid the extra money for optional custom or themed license plates. I figure that the state gets enough tax revenue from me already. However, the other day I popped into my local DMV to check out the just released Oregon "Salmon" plates. When I saw them I knew I had to get a set. I could immediately visualize how nice they would look on my seal grey jackrabbit as opposed to the boring, standard issue, basic white plates that currently were on the car. What further cemented my purchase was the number sequence on the next plate out of the box that would be mine upon purchase. I never seem to get a plate number that is easy to memorize. Now I have one that I can remember even when stoned. The wife mused that I now pamper the car more than her. She may be right ......... cheers, tommy z

salmon 1.jpg

salmon 2.jpg

Do what feels good..... - more power to you.

UK vanity (or indeed regular plate) scheme is different - the "registration number" is assigned to the vehicle, depending on how old the car is there's a formula that gives you year ( or half year ) of registration, the rough geographic location of where the car was registered, and some numbers to make it unique. If you do nothing - the plate stays with the car for it's lifetime.

You can hit upon letters that mean something - and with a little creativity - the plates can be made to look like they say a particular word - but generally the central registration office hold back low sequence plates, or plates that "say" something and then sell them off - plates that don't match the "year" scheme - non aging plates are popular . You can buy a plate without putting on a car and just hold it for while etc. Or you can swap a personal plate onto a car - and then take it off and the car reverts to its original assigned plate.

Market in desirable plates is mad - people pay thousands for things like "R U 1 2" or "DOG 1" 

But you can pick up a plate with your initials and some prefix like "T7 BJP" ( if you were called Barry John Pimple for example ) for a few 100 pounds. Bit of fun if that's your thing.

What we cant do is have the funky backgrounds you guys get - you have to have to regulation size/font/colour/spacing - a few cheat and reformat things or put screws in odd places to make letters look different - but ultimately that attracts attention from the "officials" out there.

I like the look of the plate on your car. And the number is cool...

I'm not really a fan of personalised number plates but there have been two which have made me chuckle...

"V14GRA" on a TVR Tuscan on the way to Goodwood and "V12 1 DAY" on a very mundane Ford Mondeo 

I also saw one which I think was supposed to spell out M3 SCOTT (the number was something like M3 52OTT but ended up looking like M3 SNOT. My five year old daughter really liked that one and wanted me to get a snot numberplate too

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, cdm said:

01111 can be written as 0F in hexadecimal - for those of us old enough to remember when programming was real work....

Indeed.   See my post above somewhere.  This also equates to ascii SI or Shift In ... taking us back in time... 😬

On 1/9/2022 at 8:21 AM, Daboy3000 said:

Not a fan, far too busy.

I don't like UK vanity plates either, but they say more about the person than the car. 

My daughter bought me one for my motorcycle on my 70th birthday 'K70 ***' (my initials) I transferred it to subsequent motorbikes, but now I've just transferred it to my Boxster as I'm selling my motorcycle and not replacing it. I think it has more meaning now as unless you know your Porsches my 18year old 986 looks a lot younger than it is!😂

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Rev Ken said:

My daughter bought me one for my motorcycle on my 70th birthday 'K70 ***' (my initials) I transferred it to subsequent motorbikes, but now I've just transferred it to my Boxster as I'm selling my motorcycle and not replacing it. I think it has more meaning now as unless you know your Porsches my 18year old 986 looks a lot younger than it is!😂

Most people don't have a clue what number plates actually mean.  But I would say it would have plenty of meaning as a lovely reminder of your daughter.  

• Like 1

I bought mine with a personalised plate on the car. Didn't even realise it at the time until my wife pointed out a few weeks later that it spells Boxster (well sort of) - R30 XST.

To be honest I couldn't really care less about the registration. If it didn't have the personalised plate on it I would have just kept whatever it did have. I am much more concerned about spending money where it will make a difference and keep the car mechanically sound for as long as possible.

• Like 1