Boxster S Race car build

jcbaldock

Hi all - I've been using my 986 S for track days for about 5 years now, gradually making it more and more track focused.  I did my race license a few years ago and have decided to convert the car from it's current state into a race-eligible spec, so thought I'd start a thread on the build

http://[img]https://i.imgur.com/Ynvv9nJ.jpg[/img]

Edited by jcbaldock
Picture not showing
  • Like 1

Thanks iborguk - Always struggle with pictures on forums!

Here's the current spec of the car, as it stood about a week ago...

Car 
986 Boxster S 2002.

Interior
Corbeau bucket seats
Harnesses
Momo style steering wheel non-airbag
Rear, custom cage replacing the factory roll hoops
Full carpets/interior/radio/aircon etc.

Exterior
Hard top. Soft top and motors removed

Mechanical
X51 Baffled sump
987 Short Shift Kit
Engine/Intake standard
Exhaust has a bypass modification

Suspension
Gaz Gold Coilovers with custom spring rates
Eibach Adjustable ARB's front and rear
GT3 Coffin Arms
Rennline top mounts (Rose jointed)
Adjustable rear toe arms

Brakes
GT3 master cylinder
GT3/997 Turbo Brake Ducts
Braided brake lines
Sebro slotted discs
Pagid RSL pads

• Like 1

Looks like a nice track car.  There's a lot of weight saving potential by removing various trim, carpets and sound deadening if you are seriously heading in the race direction and many more mandatory bits like extinguishers, isolator switches.

Good Luck.

23 minutes ago, brillomaster said:

Mmmmm that is bloomin' lovely. 😇 looks really clean... be a shame to race it and bash it up! 🤣

might i ask, what wheels and tyres are you running?

Yeah, it is really nice - but I bought it years ago for track days and I think she likes them!  The wheels are 18" Carrera 5 spokes and I've run Yoko AD08R, Nankang NS2R and Nankang AR1's.  Although I'll be building it to run in most of the series that a Boxster would be eligible for, I'm planning on doing Sprints and Hill Climbs initially, to keep damage risk to a minimum!

25 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Looks like a nice track car.  There's a lot of weight saving potential by removing various trim, carpets and sound deadening if you are seriously heading in the race direction and many more mandatory bits like extinguishers, isolator switches.

Good Luck.

There is indeed - That's all going to come out.  It'll be fully stripped - Interior, A/C, heater (heated windscreen will be going in), Lexan side and rear glass etc etc.  I'll share some pictures as we do this.  As it stands today, it weighs 1342Kg with 1/8 fuel and that's with some basic weight reduction already (bucket seats, no soft top)

All of the MSA Blue book items will be going in to add weight, but safety first...

23 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Nice.  I'm guessing the hood doesn't fit over the cage?

Correct.  The soft top and all the mechanisms have been removed.  No point lugging that around when the hard top is on 100% of the time anyway -  I've always had a hard top on, just for a bit more debris protection.

Id like a cage. But would not want to lose the rear screen as its handy for not blowing everything around the car. 

And would also like to be able to put the top up. 

Wonder if there is a solution?

Also are you removing the interior?  If you take out the airbags please let me know. As Im also considering that

35 minutes ago, MickH said:

Id like a cage. But would not want to lose the rear screen as its handy for not blowing everything around the car. 

And would also like to be able to put the top up. 

Wonder if there is a solution?

Also are you removing the interior?  If you take out the airbags please let me know. As Im also considering that

As a rear cage will generally attach to the rear suspension towers, I'm not sure that would be possible with the hood mechanism etc.  All of the interior will be removed, including the airbags and airbag control module.

11 minutes ago, Darren Sapsford said:

Following with interest as we race a boxster in the classic championship.

Great - Any hints and tips for the build would be appreciated!  Anything you wish you had (or didn't have!) in the car?

I've ruled out the PCGB Boxster Cup class as I found the regulations a bit too restrictive, when considering the modifications I'd already made to the car which I'd need to revert, so I'm planning on making it eligible for the PCGB Race Series in Class 2, 750MC, CSCC etc.  

1 hour ago, jcbaldock said:

Great - Any hints and tips for the build would be appreciated!  Anything you wish you had (or didn't have!) in the car?

I've ruled out the PCGB Boxster Cup class as I found the regulations a bit too restrictive, when considering the modifications I'd already made to the car which I'd need to revert, so I'm planning on making it eligible for the PCGB Race Series in Class 2, 750MC, CSCC etc.  

Yes were in the PCGB boxster championship. I think you,ll need a full cage for some of the race series.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Darren Sapsford said:

Yes were in the PCGB boxster championship. I think you,ll need a full cage for some of the race series.

Yep - the current rear bolt in cage will be taken out and a full MSUK compliant multi-point weld-in cage will be going in towards the end of the month.

Edited by jcbaldock

The stripping is coming along well, getting everything ready for the cage to be built at the end of the month. All traces of the heater and A/C are out, as are the spoiler and window motors, bumper bars, all air bags, sound deadening etc.  Still a bit more to come out and left over interior adhesives to scrape out to tidy things up, but the big ticket items are gone.  Including the heavy badge 😆 

VA7v6Lp.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...