Spark Plugs and Coils @ 4 years

Sanky

After bit of maintenance advise.

Its coming up to nearly 4 years and 7K miles since I last changed the spark plugs coil.  Should I or would you change them again with the up coming major service due this year.

Or maybe just do the sparkplugs?

I done the plugs on our 986 every 4 years more out of fear of them siezing in there, 993's have a reputation for this or so I'm led to believe.

I also used anti-sieze compound on them despite what Porsche recommend, again this was due to the plugs feeling very dry going in as much as for its anti-sieze properties. I think the correct torque setting is more readily achievable with a bit of lubrication. 

Regarding coil-packs all I would do is inspect them and if any signs of deterioration then replace them, mine were still like new after 8 years.

On the 987, I think Spark Plugs are every 6 years and so I cannot imagine that there is much risk of leaving the 986 plugs longer than the scheduled time.

As others have said, coilpacks are not a maintenance item and so I would only replace them once cracked.

Thanks for your feedback, think I will leave the spark plugs until they reach around 10k miles or if I get any misfire issues or the coil packs are cracked.

I am concerned about them seizing, but I’m sure I applied some copper slip on them at the time.

54 minutes ago, Sanky said:

Thanks for your feedback, think I will leave the spark plugs until they reach around 10k miles or if I get any misfire issues or the coil packs are cracked.

I am concerned about them seizing, but I’m sure I applied some copper slip on them at the time.

You could just take them out, clean them, and retorque them in you are worried (although for that amount of effort, you may as well replace them as well).

The spark plug interval for my Jaguar is something like 9 years. These days, unless there is an issue with how the engine is running, the spark plugs seem to last a long time and look almost brand new when you do finally remove them. I did my 987 plugs last year (after 4 years) and they looked absolutely fine.

8 minutes ago, Lennym1984 said:

You could just take them out, clean them, and retorque them in you are worried (although for that amount of effort, you may as well replace them as well

That would have been my thought as well, if I’m taking them out might as well replace them all. 

Think I will just leave them and just do the major service with a brake fluid change which is also due this year.