Exhaust

Justchris

Would the recall for the rear subframe support work have involved the removal of the back boxes??

Been monitoring the deterioration of my cat to back box joint studs and noticed no real deterioration in the 1st 5 months of my ownership so decided to leave well alone (although I do have the bolts and gaskets to replace).

Less than a month on and 2 weeks after my recall work was completed I've had a failure on the nearside with both studs completely destroyed, and looks like the offside may be very close to failure.  Just seems a little coincidental.

Looks like it's backboxes off tomorrow and see if I can get the remnants of the studs out of both sides without disturbing the manifolds 😱

All done today.

Pretty sure one of my cats may have been replaced at some time as one side had standard 13mm bolts tacked to the cat side, and the other had circular collars tack welded with a press fit stud through the middle

Drivers side wasn't too bad, managed to break the tack welds on the captive heads the on cat side so easy to remove once I'd sheared off the rusty bolt.

Passenger side a little more tricky as the bolts had already sheared leaving tiny stumps of the bolts. Managed to press them out eventually with a bit of perseverance.

All reassembled with new gaskets, bolts and washers.

If they had them off they would have replaced the bolts and charged Porsche for the pleasure. The tough bit is getting them out, they are literally made of chocolate and just don't last.

The disappointing thing here is that the OPC in question didn't report the issue when it was up on the ramp and quote you to replace them at least.

• 4 months later...

When mine went in for its 111 point check. Only thing they picked up on was that the exhaust bolts will need replacing soon.

Spoke to my local Indi who has quoted like for like.

I asked about fitting stainless bolts and they said it would be a lot more labour as the flanges would need to be drilled out. Is that correct?

15 hours ago, JurassicGTS said:

When mine went in for its 111 point check. Only thing they picked up on was that the exhaust bolts will need replacing soon.

Spoke to my local Indi who has quoted like for like.

I asked about fitting stainless bolts and they said it would be a lot more labour as the flanges would need to be drilled out. Is that correct?

I wouldn't say it was a lot more work or was he quoting just to replace the nuts.

4 minutes ago, Tony Daniel said:

I wouldn't say it was a lot more work or was he quoting just to replace the nuts.

Good question, I need to ask are they fixed studs with nuts or mild steel bolts and nuts?

Edited by JurassicGTS