Anti-roll bad drop links

Timsky

8 hours ago, Timsky said:

The front anti-roll bar drop links on my 2001 Boxster S are seized solid. I have tried everything I can think of - any advice on how to remove them would be greatly appreciated. 

What. have you tried so far?

Unless you have a gun such as the Milwaukee Fuel, it will be extremely tough

24 minutes ago, RalphyBMW said:

Chopped off the ball, stuck a big impact gun on the hex stub?

Very often unfortunately this is not enough.

A few I have done recently, I have had to cut into the bolt with a grinder from the back of the strut. Once the bolt has been cut in two, the impact wrench will remove the one end and a nut driven onto the other end will extract it.

I read on the other thread running on the same topic that the one chap removed the strut from the car. I would not advise this as it is always easier on the vehicle and never just smash it with a hammer.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, TROOPER88 said:

Very often unfortunately this is not enough.

A few I have done recently, I have had to cut into the bolt with a grinder from the back of the strut. Once the bolt has been cut in two, the impact wrench will remove the one end and a nut driven onto the other end will extract it.

I read on the other thread running on the same topic that the one chap removed the strut from the car. I would not advise this as it is always easier on the vehicle and never just smash it with a hammer.

Paul,

We've got a duplicate thread on this subject from the same poster, one with a spelling error in the title. 

That was my first attempt and used a a cautionary tale about how seized these can be.  I now know more hence what else I wrote on that post reposted here:

These can be a b*tch.  Heat on the bolt and a good impact wrench both help a lot, otherwise lots of slow high force twisting with a breaker bar.  Cut the drop link end off the bolt to give good access to the 17mm hex and only use a 6 pint (not 12 point) socket or you risk rounding it off.

To give you an idea on the first one I did, with the strut/hub assembly off the car and wedged against a concrete step a 14lb sledge hammer did not move the bolt.  Heat and an impact wrench got it out in about 5 minutes.  I used a magnetic induction heater to focus the heat in the bolt and avoid heating the hub casting too much.  A local indy budgets 30 minutes per bolt once they ahve got it up in the air and the wheel, caliper and disc off.

We've got a duplicate thread on this subject from the same poster, one with a spelling error in the title. @Araf can you do anything to tidy up?

• Thanks 1