Cold start issues

Meridianmet

Hi,

I started my 01 2.7 yesterday, and it was a rough idle, and was misfiring when given a bit of a rev, this goes after a few seconds of the car running,  and it drives fine.  I had a look at various threads and forums, they seem to indicate either coils or AOS.  Any other suggestion are welcome, and where to start to diagnose the fault. 

Thanks,

G

Whereabouts in Kent are you? - If you are anywhere near me ( Strood ) then happy to plug in my PIWIS diags system and see if the car is reporting any misfires -  would help in narrowing the options.

Let me know if I can help.

7 minutes ago, Meridianmet said:

Thanks for the offer Paul, I'm a bit further away, near Tenterden. I think I'm going to book it in at Maistone Sports Cars and get it diagnosed as they are only 10 minutes from me. I will post the outcome.

Cool.  Offer stands if you change your mind.  (Or down the line if something else comes up).  

When my AOS was giving me early symptoms, I was getting a lot of white smoke (like a big cloud) every now and then. My Idle when warm would sit around 900rpm and rise to 1000 at a traffic light. Also the car was acting like it was running rich but that would have been a combination of AOS and a cat leaking.

Has it been a long time since you last used the car, before you got the rough idle?

Check for any codes first but I am leaning towards coils.

The car is booked in to Maidstone Sports Cars for Friday morning, it was either there or Project Nine, I went with MSC as they were much more helpful over the phone, PN couldn't have been less interested, this is the price to look at it, nothing else.  Both are about the same distance from me.

3 hours ago, Meridianmet said:

The car is booked in to Maidstone Sports Cars for Friday morning, it was either there or Project Nine, I went with MSC as they were much more helpful over the phone, PN couldn't have been less interested, this is the price to look at it, nothing else.  Both are about the same distance from me.

Doesn’t surprise me with project nine to be honest.   I had a very bad experience with the owner back when he was spanner man at la rose. 

Some I talk to swear by him.  Most swear at him.  

1 hour ago, Paul P said:

Doesn’t surprise me with project nine to be honest.   I had a very bad experience with the owner back when he was spanner man at la rose. 

Some I talk to swear by him.  Most swear at him.  

Spannering & charm is a winning combination. Some believe they are so outstanding as mechanics that they don't need to be personable.  

11 minutes ago, McDonald said:

Spannering & charm is a winning combination. Some believe they are so outstanding as mechanics that they don't need to be personable.  

True.  

except the spannering is questionable too “the reason your brakes failed completely after you spent more than a grand having them sorted is because you have new pads”

and “the pedal goes to the floor because you don’t know how to drive”

and don’t ask him to get his son to help get the car mot’Ed.  That doesn’t have a history of ending well.  

3 minutes ago, Paul P said:

True.  
except the spannering is questionable too “the reason your brakes failed completely after you spent more than a grand having them sorted is because you have new pads”and “the pedal goes to the floor because you don’t know how to drive”

and don’t ask him to get his son to help get the car mot’Ed.  That doesn’t have a history of ending well.  

That business is unlikely to flourish in the medium to long term. Talentless grunt doesn't usually do well.

• Like 1

It's all gone slightly off topic!  Anyway the chaps at MSC have diagnosed the fault as an o2 sensor on bank 1, the one behind the cat.  So the next question is, how are are they to change, and has anyone got a link to the correct part, otherwise they want £280 to do the job.

Thanks in advance.

Porsche part number is 986 606 126 01 (about £250 +VAT on D911) Bosch part number 0 258 003 806 (about £65 +VAT on D911).  Go to your local Bosch auto electrics centre and you may get a few more pennies off that.

On 1/21/2022 at 11:08 PM, ½cwt said:

Porsche part number is 986 606 126 01 (about £250 +VAT on D911) Bosch part number 0 258 003 806 (about £65 +VAT on D911).  Go to your local Bosch auto electrics centre and you may get a few more pennies off that.

I bought the Bosch one from D911 last week used discount code PCGB005 £80 delivered  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, deanmr2 said:

I bought the Bosch one from D911 last week used discount code PCGB005 £80 delivered  

I fitted the o2 sensor myself used plenty of dismantling fluid and left to soak for a couple of days and the old one came out without much of a fight it’s an easy enough DIY job

• Like 1

So they reckon that a misfire/rough idle on a cold engine at startup is an o2 sensor ?

i may well be wrong but I thought when the engine was cold the car operates in “open loop” mode and ignores the o2 sensors until things have at least started to warm up  

if it fixes it great but curious what they found to lead them to that conclusion. Did they give you any idea of stored codes or anything else their diags showed ? 

If there are stored error codes then you should clear them before replacing the sensor otherwise you won’t know if What you have done has had any effect on them, but I would have thought the garage would have cleared any codes and if they don’t come back you are chasing ghosts.  

Is the cold start issue still there ?