Porsche Boxster 2.5 986 1999 Project first time buyer help

JoshuaNaismith

Hello all,

I'm looking at this Porsche Boxster 2.5 986 1999 project on eBay

I've never owned a Porsche before and would like to know a bit more about the car and common problems if anyone can help?

Owner states the engine has gone with a blown head gasket and that he has a replacement sitting there ready but has never gotten around to it

My questions are:

how reliable is the 986 1999 

Gearbox good?

anything I should look out for?

Opinion on the car and listing?

Anything at all that yous could mention that would help me in the purchase?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224780584435?hash=item3455f785f3:g:SrcAAOSwlJBh2Ypt

Thanks very much for taking the time to respond and read!!

Welcome.  

all depends on how willing and able you with the spanners and what you want to end up with.  

Aside from the engine (which surely if it was just a head gasket - the seller would have fixed rather than buying an engine and not fitting ) you are likely looking at suspension refresh, tyres, clutch, IMS and RMS replacements (because you have and engine on the bench - makes sense to do those ), plugs, coil packs, exhaust (perhaps - but if it’s a non runner then you can’t tell ) - and a roof as well as the bits listed.  

These cars don’t do well with deferred maintenance - it stacks up when you come to making good.  

if you go for it.  Look for signs of water ingress collecting under the seats, the ecus under there are not happy with water and not cheap to replace ( alarm ecu, keys, engine ecu required as a set of buying 2nd hand) 

Couple of grand and a fair few hours in the garage is my guess  

Others may well have a different view but me. I would buy “less of a project”’ for maybe 4K for a running, on the road, Mot’ed car and then spend the spanner time and disposable cash on improvements rather than resuscitation. 

if it was a 500 quid -   Different story. 

as ever just opinions and I am sure better informed people at the sharp end of the 986’s will be along soon. 

• Like 1

Mines a 1999 Tiptronic with 158k on it and the only issue I have with the gearbox is that it doesn’t show it in ‘park’ on the display so I have to start it in neutral. Never bothered me enough to fix it. Apart from that the gearboxes have a good reputation for reliability. I’d be wary of paying much more than the present bid for it given the costs outlined above.

If you don’t mind a manual, this one’s a runner which needs a bit of work for around £3k

46 minutes ago, Paul P said:

Welcome.  

all depends on how willing and able you with the spanners and what you want to end up with.  

Aside from the engine (which surely if it was just a head gasket - the seller would have fixed rather than buying an engine and not fitting ) you are likely looking at suspension refresh, tyres, clutch, IMS and RMS replacements (because you have and engine on the bench - makes sense to do those ), plugs, coil packs, exhaust (perhaps - but if it’s a non runner then you can’t tell ) - and a roof as well as the bits listed.  

These cars don’t do well with deferred maintenance - it stacks up when you come to making good.  

if you go for it.  Look for signs of water ingress collecting under the seats, the ecus under there are not happy with water and not cheap to replace ( alarm ecu, keys, engine ecu required as a set of buying 2nd hand) 

Couple of grand and a fair few hours in the garage is my guess  

Others may well have a different view but me. I would buy “less of a project”’ for maybe 4K for a running, on the road, Mot’ed car and then spend the spanner time and disposable cash on improvements rather than resuscitation. 

if it was a 500 quid -   Different story. 

as ever just opinions and I am sure better informed people at the sharp end of the 986’s will be along soon. 

Thanks a lot both for your really detailed replies... I forgot to mention i'd probably be getting it for around £1000-£1500

Let me know what you think about this 

Welcome and I'd say give consideration to your overall budget, not just the car purchase.

Totally understand if you don't want to share that on here but if you do we may be able to help steer you to the right car.

As others have said if you can also indicate your willingness/experience to do the spannering that will also help folks to help you.

Good luck with the hunt.

Edited by iborguk

As above.  As a thing to spend time and spanners on then your call. What’s the mot history like - might give a clue to other stuff that’s lurking. 

one thought.  Clouds of smoke at startup isn’t always head or rings it can be AOS ( air oil separator ) which is almost a “service component” and is 10s of pounds to replace.  

Of course if it’s drinking coolant and what’s there is nasty mayonnaise then it’s not that but if it runs and you can’t take the oil cap off while it’s running it may be the aos.  

• Like 1

@JoshuaNaismithlike nobbie has said mine is up for sale for £3k Mark more than happy to chat to you about it have spent over £4k in last year on maintenance and willing to send pics I still use it daily but it's getting to point where it would be more suited as a weekend toy

I wouldnt pay much more than £1000 for that car. You wont know what other issues it might have until you take the engine out and fit the replacement engine.

It might still have other expensive issues which need to be fixed. you also wont know how good the replacement engine is until its fitted and running.Its a big gamble.

You could probably pick up a runner for not much more than the starting bid, which needs some work, which you could budget to do over a year or two.

All assuming you can do most of your own work. If you would be paying garage rates to have work done then the sums will never add up.

• Like 1

Might be worth having a read of this excellent write up of the work undertaken on a 2001 boxster within the first year or so of ownership

To give some context, i bought my 1999, 2.7 last year with 90k, it is Cat C and not full service history but 12 month MOT, for £3600

• Like 1

Just to give you a bit of perspective, I bought a 2.5 project with 130k no MOT but good sounding engine.  I paid £1500.  I am hoping to MOT it later this year but as this isn't my main or family car it won't get driven much and I can imagine spending at least £2-3k per year on maintenance and repairs for a while to come.

If you are happy to spend £5k to get it to where you want to be then go for it, if that amount scares you then walk away.

This is day one after a good clean, as you can see, it's not a shyateter.

51818923380_789cc862a7_c.jpg

Edited by Daboy3000

10 hours ago, 999mch said:

Might be worth having a read of this excellent write up of the work undertaken on a 2001 boxster within the first year or so of ownership

To give some context, i bought my 1999, 2.7 last year with 90k, it is Cat C and not full service history but 12 month MOT, for £3600

The linked post is mine.

Reiterates that there’s no such beast as a cheap Porsche!

Anything sub £3k is possibly worth more in parts - don’t make the mistake of buying a parts car and then spending on it.

Personally only be buying a non-runner if the car is otherwise very tidy, and there was evidence of significant spend on the suspension, tyres, brakes, etc.

• Like 1

If you can do the work yourself I would go for it.

if it turns out that it’s beyond the items listed in the ebay advert then You can part it and make money.  The list isn’t that daunting other then the engine swap.

as a guide I do all my own spannering, my Boxster s went from 57k miles with full Porsche history to 97k today in 6 years and I have spent circa £3.5k on maintenance.  So way less than £1k per year and that costs has included revised ims, new flywheel and clutch, new front shocks, disc and pads all round.   So you can run these on limited funds.   It’s still in fantastic condition mechanically as well.

Good luck if you go for it 

As said, it really does depend on how much of the work you can do yourself.  

Anything is possible if you put your mind to it.  My 2000 S was bought as a "bit of a project" for my son and I, for him to learn a few bits and put on his Uni statement.  I ended up taking the engine out, completely stripping and rebuilding it.  The first engine I'd ever attempted, but if id paid someone to do it, it wouldn't have been worth it. 

The hardest thing is diagnosing, fixing is easy in comparison!

Edited by Boxstclever
  • Like 1

I'd be tempted to go for chukkieggs car , he's spent quite a bit on it already , it's a sound car that needs a bit of fettling , you could get quite deep  quite quickly on the car your looking at .

Just my 2 cents , good luck either way 👍