Alternative Sport Design refurb ideas?

Gramps

Hi All. Has anyone tried doing anything different with the Sport Design wheel when they get it refurbed? To me they sometimes just look a bit lost in the wheel arch, at least on my car in white. I feel like they need to stand out a bit more. I thought maybe a metallic black may help, or maybe an anthracite/gun metal, but I'd probably struggle to get centre caps to match. Has anyone tried anything different? Got any pics? Looking to get them refurbed over the winter. TIA 51268403583_75c20c7e5d_z.jpg

black wheels always get lost imo. Very few cars can carry it off really well,but anthracite or gun metal grey looks better. 

I see you have a silver stripe around the edge, which does help a little. 

• Like 2

brilliant silver. you've got some very nice multispoke wheels, but having them black means all the definition is gone.

a white car is probably one of the few colours that can pull off a black wheel, but i'd still say a standard silver wheel is better.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, brillomaster said:

brilliant silver. you've got some very nice multispoke wheels, but having them black means all the definition is gone.

a white car is probably one of the few colours that can pull off a black wheel, but i'd still say a standard silver wheel is better.

What he said👍

• Like 1

9 hours ago, iborguk said:

So totally different wheels on mine but maybe gives you an idea of how silver/grey might look (elements of grey paint next to the diamond cut on mine).

51791454416_45e14d8538_b.jpg

I did enquire about something very similar in getting the "small V" sections diamond cut but that was a no no apparently 😌

It is tough one as your car has got the black and white theme like mine.

I had a set of loan wheels in silver and although I like the style of the alloys I don’t think the silver finish did my car any favours .

51484842870_aa4c601966_b.jpg

Although some may disagree but I think if you don’t want black then maybe Porsche platinum would work.

Maybe post a photo from the side and ask someone to photo shop some colour s on for you.

Did someone say Refurbed Sport Design,,,,,I might have a piccie :inocent:

Silver rim with anthracite centre works well on red 986.

You can always photo-shop various colours or there are even websites that can try different wheel colour/designs. Autotrader can usually proffer up some ideas.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2022 at 5:23 PM, Lonewolfgjp said:

It is tough one as your car has got the black and white theme like mine.

I had a set of loan wheels in silver and although I like the style of the alloys I don’t think the silver finish did my car any favours .

51484842870_aa4c601966_b.jpg

Although some may disagree but I think if you don’t want black then maybe Porsche platinum would work.

Maybe post a photo from the side and ask someone to photo shop some colour s on for you.

Nice to see what the silver option looks like but I agree that it doesn't enhance or add to the car. I'm tending towards Graphite or gun metal so far. I like the look of your current ones but I'm told I can't have the sport design wheel diamond cut.

On 1/13/2022 at 11:53 PM, Gramps said:

Hi All. Has anyone tried doing anything different with the Sport Design wheel when they get it refurbed? To me they sometimes just look a bit lost in the wheel arch, at least on my car in white. I feel like they need to stand out a bit more. I thought maybe a metallic black may help, or maybe an anthracite/gun metal, but I'd probably struggle to get centre caps to match. Has anyone tried anything different? Got any pics? Looking to get them refurbed over the winter. TIA 51268403583_75c20c7e5d_z.jpg

I’m not really a fan of black wheels at all,but on a white car they look good.

I have black wheels on my guards red cayman.still not 100 percent sure,but they are growing on me.

On 1/27/2022 at 6:45 PM, boer13 said:

No sun so not a great image. And it's beyond my 8-word colour vocabulary to identify these as gunmetal, graphite, grey or light black..

But maybe it helps.

fYih_6JK5p1CIkA8w13_XJ1albTRvaaPRkn_prBk

looks like light grey with a white line through it to me, might look ok on a car? 😉

2 hours ago, And.rs1800 said:

I’m not really a fan of black wheels at all,but on a white car they look good.

I have black wheels on my guards red cayman.still not 100 percent sure,but they are growing on me.

Saw a pic of some nice wheels on a GT3, from the blurb that went with it it sounded like it was the standard colour, but not been able to find the name of that colur or a better pic 😌

9 hours ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

Porsche platinum is the name of that colour 👆

I think that would be your best option if you don’t go black and yes maybe with a white lip.

platinum def coming to the fore now for me. Found this as what seems to be a good example with the white lip you mentioned

51852472808_31c828e931_z.jpg

3 hours ago, Gramps said:

platinum def coming to the fore now for me. Found this as what seems to be a good example with the white lip you mentioned

51852472808_31c828e931_z.jpg

Is it white, or a diamond cut edge to the rim?

On 1/31/2022 at 8:42 PM, Lonewolfgjp said:

Chris at Exel would definitely be able to do Porsche platinum with a white lip👍

👍 I've had a local guy recommended to me by a guy I know who works in a garage and uses them. They've come back to £70 a wheel, which sounds very reasonable, good reviews so looking promising 🙂

On 1/14/2022 at 9:43 AM, Menoporsche said:

Paint your brake calipers white. 

If it wasn't clear, my idea here was to make what's behind them stand out, which in turn makes the wheel design stand out.

And another thought I had earlier today, was to paint the wheel barrels white. Guvs painted @CAZ wheel barrels red (body colour).  Paint yours and keep the wheels black, the design would stand out much clearer against the white background, and would go so well with your existing colour scheme. And yes it would be a challenge keeping them clean, but frankly it's a challenge keeping the front of SD clean if you paint them anything other than a very dark colour! Could look into reduced dust brake pads...

Your wheels, your choice. But giving you ideas :) 

• Like 1