987 query

Chukkieegg

OK so looked at my first 987 today thinking of px my 986 car drove well but 2 things put me off it it had a aftermarket boot spoiler and when you started it up it made like a growl noise/ as if something was grinding for about 3/4 seconds then stopped it appeared to stop doing it when the car got warm and you started it up

It put me off I could live with boot spoiler but engine noise was weird 

Any ideas

Sounds like a cracker.

I reckon the spoiler issue would have been in the advert mind?

Got a link?

Cheers, Baggers.

5 minutes ago, bagss2 said:

Sounds like a cracker.

I reckon the spoiler issue would have been in the advert mind?

Got a link?

Cheers, Baggers.

Yes in pics I couldn't decide if I liked it or not when I saw it defo didn't like it also been a cat D but damage unknown as was in 2010 and i ran a car vertical report on it I think the noise was the deciding factor 

Here is link to add

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202112180637422?atmobcid=soc3

1 hour ago, Chukkieegg said:

Yes in pics I couldn't decide if I liked it or not when I saw it defo didn't like it also been a cat D but damage unknown as was in 2010 and i ran a car vertical report on it I think the noise was the deciding factor 

Here is link to add

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202112180637422?atmobcid=soc3

Thanks for the link.

I hope you didn't travel far. I certainly wouldn't have.

Cheers, Baggers.

This has been on my AT watch-list for 2 months. For no other reason than it's cheap (for the current / recent / pandemic market).

Looks tidy enough from the pics.

Now would be the time to bid low & firm.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202101208183757?atmobcid=soc3

Cheers, Baggers.

4 hours ago, Chukkieegg said:

OK so looked at my first 987 today thinking of px my 986 car drove well but 2 things put me off it it had a aftermarket boot spoiler and when you started it up it made like a growl noise/ as if something was grinding for about 3/4 seconds then stopped it appeared to stop doing it when the car got warm and you started it up

It put me off I could live with boot spoiler but engine noise was weird 

Any ideas

Just to throw another thought on the noise....early sign the water pump could be on its way out ....sometimes get a little noise at start up from it if it's in bad shape...or at least what I've been told...I'm sure the experts on here will confirm or call it out as nonsense. 

Just looked at the add....cheap!....a lot of car for the money. 

Edited by pjk1978

9 hours ago, pjk1978 said:

Just to throw another thought on the noise....early sign the water pump could be on its way out ....sometimes get a little noise at start up from it if it's in bad shape...or at least what I've been told...I'm sure the experts on here will confirm or call it out as nonsense. 

Just looked at the add....cheap!....a lot of car for the money. 

Yes it was a lot of car and it was good for me as only ever driven my 986 so no idea what any other porsche drives like so I now know how much different a 987 is to a 986 at the end of day the car didn't say buy me to me so I left it

7 hours ago, Chukkieegg said:

Yes it was a lot of car and it was good for me as only ever driven my 986 so no idea what any other porsche drives like so I now know how much different a 987 is to a 986 at the end of day the car didn't say buy me to me so I left it

I'd always go with your gut, I walked away from 3 prior to buying mine and on reflection I'm pleased I did because the perfect one turned up. ...many years on I still have it and still love it! 

Good luck with your search.

17 minutes ago, JonSta said:

My 2.7 (987) growled ferociously on startup. I read somewhere that if it's below a certain temp the ECU bungs a big squirt of fuel in to get the cats hot ASAP.

I sort of liked it....

I don't like customised cars. Not even a little bit.

That’s maybe what mine is then