Heated Seats

Robin_GTS

When I was spending many hours searching for the Boxster that I wanted one thing I did notice that there were quite a few cars without heated seats, for me this was a possible deal breaker, thankfully the GTS I bought did have them however at a push I think if it didn’t have heated seats I would have gone for it anyway as the rest of the car was the spec that I wanted. I would have retrofitted the heated seats due to having a retrofitting company but it would have been a challenging retrofit to get it to OEM level to say the least. 

Just out of interest does anyone not have heated seats in their 981? I am wondering just how many 981’s didn’t have that option box ticked as I am tempted on spending a few hours to see just what the retrofit would involve. 

Not looked at the 981 market but a gut feel of what I see advertised for 987 then I would say 70% of cars have them. 

as far as market appetite for a retro kit   Precious car didn’t have them   I would have paid decent money to have factory retrofit ( everyone’s circumstances are different but at the time 500 to 750 would have been doable ) 

but that’s me   

4 minutes ago, robporsche said:

Defo a must for me on any car whether convertible or not, well if it has leather seats.

agreed. Would miss them on all my cars and a deal breaker on a convertible imo

9 hours ago, daz05 said:

On cars like the S2000 it wasn't even an option and it didn't really bother anyone because the heater had a bit more give, I'd give them up that any day.

I retrofitted an aftermarket kit to my previous 3 S2000's as it was relatively straight forward to do including adding in the heating elements to the seats. I have to say that the heaters in the S2000 were excellent, I found them much better than the 981 heaters.

Just now, Robin_GTS said:

I retrofitted an aftermarket kit to my previous 3 S2000's as it was relatively straight forward to do including adding in the heating elements to the seats. I have to say that the heaters in the S2000 were excellent, I found them much better than the 981 heaters.

other than the heaters the 981 is better than the S2000 in every other way haha

4 hours ago, Stark9 said:

I never thought I’d use a heated steering wheel, and now I have one, it’s on during these cold mornings. Things we get used to I guess 

First thing I switch off every time I get in the wife’s car.  She on the other hand refuses to have a car without heated wheel, hers seems to be on all year around.

Edited by Greenman
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Robin_GTS said:

other than the heaters the 981 is better than the S2000 in every other way haha

Yes I suppose it is, I had them both side by side for a while but I never seemed to pick up the keys as often. Fond memories now though. 

Maybe it was the smaller cabin rather than the heater either way it warmer!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Greenman said:

First thing I switch off every time I get in the wife’s car.  She on the other hand refuses to have a car without heated wheel, hers seems to be on all year around.

Funny that i think a heated wheel makes more sense than the seats, my hands are always colder than my body on a cold day but I've never tried one so no idea if they are any good. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, daz05 said:

Funny that i think a heated wheel makes more sense than the seats, my hands are always colder than my body on a cold day but I've never tried one so no idea if they are any good. 

To be fair, yes heated wheel does work well, and would help on a cold day. In my case it just tends to be left on all the time in the OHs car, which isn’t a Convertible. I tend towards gloves on a cold day in the Box.

Edited by Greenman
  • Like 1

Heated steering wheels are a delight to have, I do a lot of vehicle testing and most of the development vehicles I test have heated steering wheels and they are lovely when testing in Finland when it’s -30degc. 

It’s something that I would love to retrofit to the 981 Sport steering wheel one day but I think the amount of effort and time will be more than I can physically spend.