5w40 oil for 100k+ boxster?

Hainesy

I need to buy some more oil to top the car up with, was wondering if it was worth buying some 5w40 instead of 0w40 as standard.  I’ve read this an option as the car gets leggier.  I’d then ask the Indy to do the same when it’s due an oil change in May.

Any recommended brands? It looks like there isn’t a Mobil1 version?

7 minutes ago, Nobbie said:

Looks like good value, thanks.

I may be wrong but I thought that once at operating temperature a 0w/40 and 5w/40 had the same viscosity. I was under the impression that the W number is more to do with how well it flows in cold temperatures (an 0w flowing better than say a 10w).

On an older engine, the advice is sometimes to move to a thicker oil and so you would want to be looking at a 50w oil. 

For what it's worth, I use a 10w/50 in my car but I do quite a lot of track days and tend to change the oil regularly (probably twice a year or after every 4-5 track days).

There was a few threads I read about it over on pistonheads and PCGB, both referenced Revolution Porsche recommending it (https://www.revolution-porsche.co.uk/news/why-is-mobil-oil-the-best-choice-for-your-porsche, I believe they're well regarded and seems like sensible advice (I don't track my car - yet at least 🙂 )

I've picked up a 5l and a 1l bottle to keep in the car for £33 in total of the Fuchs so compares well to Mobil1 price (£43 for 5l) as well.

1 hour ago, Lennym1984 said:

On an older engine, the advice is sometimes to move to a thicker oil and so you would want to be looking at a 50w oil.

That should have read, 50 weight. Not 50w.

Hartech (who fix all the blown up Porsche engines) recommend a 10w50 oil. Cheddar Bob (who used to be on here and worked in the oil industry) recommended sticking to the manufacturers recommended weight. Me personally? I use a 10w50 racing oil and it doesn't appear to have done any harm. Like many things, everybody has an opinion on the correct oil to use.

My earlier post was merely pointing out that a 5w40 and a 0w40 will be largely the same viscosity once up to operating temperature and so unless you are planning to drive to the arctic, it won't make a huge difference (the UK isn't that cold). 5w40 tends to be cheaper than 0w40 if that helps...

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Hainesy said:

I need to buy some more oil to top the car up with, was wondering if it was worth buying some 5w40 instead of 0w40 as standard.  I’ve read this an option as the car gets leggier.  I’d then ask the Indy to do the same when it’s due an oil change in May.

Any recommended brands? It looks like there isn’t a Mobil1 version?

There is a Mobil version - https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/mobil-super-3000-x1-engine-oil-5w-40-5ltr-521772121

It’s what my Indy uses. Have had it in mine for the last 3 years with no complaints, but then my oil is changed every 3k & is as clean coming out as going in, thankfully!