Latest PCM4 maps?

moonshine

In anticipation of collecting my (new to me) late 2016 718S next week, im trying to establish what maps are on the PCM

it has option 7UG Navigation Module for Porsche Communication Management (PCM), and If I’m correct, it has the PCM4.0 Nav, but doesn’t have Car Play capability.  

The dealer went out and checked with his phone last week  and couldn’t get it to work - It was built October 14, 2016 , so appears was right on the border of having it or not.

i doubt it has had a PCM map base map update since new - the dealer has said the latest SD card maps they have are dated 2020…. 

Is there any indication of if / when there will be a map update? I want to update the base maps but don’t want to do it now and find there is a mew update imminently expected..

also, any links / tips how to get CarPlay enabled on a PCM4 car that doesn’t have it enabled from factory? Dealer said Porsche cannot do it, but *ahem* there may be third parties that can…. Any suggestions / recommendations and idea on cost to do this ?

thanks in advance

Gerry

Edited by moonshine

2 hours ago, moonshine said:

In anticipation of collecting my (new to me) late 2016 718S next week, im trying to establish what maps are on the PCM

it has option 7UG Navigation Module for Porsche Communication Management (PCM), and If I’m correct, it has the PCM4.0 Nav, but doesn’t have Car Play capability.  

The dealer went out and checked with his phone last week  and couldn’t get it to work - It was built October 14, 2016 , so appears was right on the border of having it or not.

i doubt it has had a PCM map base map update since new - the dealer has said the latest SD card maps they have are dated 2020…. 

Is there any indication of if / when there will be a map update? I want to update the base maps but don’t want to do it now and find there is a mew update imminently expected..

also, any links / tips how to get CarPlay enabled on a PCM4 car that doesn’t have it enabled from factory? Dealer said Porsche cannot do it, but *ahem* there may be third parties that can…. Any suggestions / recommendations and idea on cost to do this ?

thanks in advance

Gerry

There is a lad that enables carplay remotely on the 718 forum. Done loads of cars and is really good apprently. I have car play in mine so can't vouch first hand.

The easiest way to look is if you have a USB port under the armrest between the seats. No USB no car play.

• Like 1

Hmm.  To be honest, I know less about PCM 4.0 than I do about previous versions, despite the fact I have got one.  I only use CarPlay with the TomTom app for navigation.

I believe you can update the PCM maps using Porsche Connect (assuming thatthe car is equipped with it).  If you want to read up a bit in advance, here are the Drivers manuals for my car (MY2018):  <718 Drivers Manuals>.  There is a document on updating the maps in the pack.

For retrofitting CarPlay, take a look at the 718 Forum: https://www.718forum.com/whats-new/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Stark9 said:

It will have Car Play. Mine is a 66 Plate. Use the USB in armrest and it works but not from glovebox 

Its possible he tried the glovebox USB, not the armrest one… so there is hope :) I guess i will find out next week 🤞

10 hours ago, Stark9 said:

It will have Car Play. Mine is a 66 Plate. Use the USB in armrest and it works but not from glovebox 

That is not 100% the case. My previous 718 (a 16 plate) did not have carplay. My current 66 plate does. The majority will but not all of them.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, moonshine said:

For the 987 they seemed to be about every 4 years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iborguk said:

If you feel inclined there's also a £5 service which helps support the forum which can provide the build option list from the VIN.

Thanks. 

I have a VIN lookup already and all it has relevant is

7UG Navigation Module for Porsche Communication Management (PCM)

9ZX MOBILE PHONE PREPARATION

EL0 W/O ONLINE SERVICES

ER1 REGION CODE "ECE" FOR RADIO

I8L RADIO PREMIUM (GEN2)

IU0 W/O CONNECT PACKAGE

IV0 W/O CONNECT PACKAGE PLUS

9VK SOUND PACKAGE 1 / SOUND PACKAGE

UI4 EL. INTERFACE, AUX-IN + USB/IPOD

QH1 Voice Control

*W/O meaning without 

Edited by moonshine

Mine is a 16plate 718 (registered May 2016), the original owner spec'd satnav & speed camera warning but not car play. There is a USB socket in the glovebox that will connect to play music but nothing in the armrest.

I'm toying whether to add it (approx £1k dealer fit:blink:) or replace the car....

I've never tried to update the maps as I use a TomTom sat nav linked to my phone for realtime traffic.

48 minutes ago, Pezky said:

Mine is a 16plate 718 (registered May 2016), the original owner spec'd satnav & speed camera warning but not car play. There is a USB socket in the glovebox that will connect to play music but nothing in the armrest.

I'm toying whether to add it (approx £1k dealer fit:blink:) or replace the car....

I've never tried to update the maps as I use a TomTom sat nav linked to my phone for realtime traffic.

It does appear it's may be able remotely code car play. I'll do further investigation once I pick up the car and investigate property 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Pezky said:

How did you get it to work??

I contacted Sinisa (Aka @Simaservice1108) (found via 718forum) in Serbia on WhatsApp on +381 65 3086899

He remoted on to a laptop computer connected to the glovebox usb with ethernet adapters and reprogrammed the PCM 4.0 to activate the Apple Carplay  (can do Android Auto as well) and did the map update.

Cheaper than buying a new car to get Carplay  👍🤣

Edited by moonshine
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, moonshine said:

I contacted Sinisa (Aka @Simaservice1108) (found via 718forum) in Serbia on WhatsApp on +381 65 3086899

He remoted on to a laptop computer connected to the glovebox usb with ethernet adapters and reprogrammed the PCM 4.0 to activate the Apple Carplay  (can do Android Auto as well) and did the map update.

Cheaper than buying a new car to get Carplay  👍🤣

Wow!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Pezky said:

I had CarPlay activated today and updated to 2022 maps on the nav unit. Sima did a fab job.

@moonshine he was impressed by the adapter you lent me😀

Cheaper than the £1k dealer cost or changing the car! 

Reccomend you get the Carlinkit3 kit to give you wireless carplay 👍(on amazon for £85)

• Like 1