Scratchy sound on initial start up - 1 sec only

987 2.7

Remote diagnosis of these is always tricky. Starter Motor ? Exhaust ? Engine ? Belts ? 

Can you get another set of hands to start the car or another set of ears to help you zero in on where the noise is coming from ? 

Posting a link to a video which includes the sound might help give some pointers...

Edited by iborguk

53 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Remote diagnosis of these is always tricky. Starter Motor ? Exhaust ? Engine ? Belts ? 

Can you get another set of hands to start the car or another set of ears to help you zero in on where the noise is coming from ? 

Posting a link to a video which includes the sound might help give some pointers...

Your’e right there ! To me, it sounds possibly belt, starter related ??

2 hours ago, Nobbie said:

Starters can squeal a bit if the pre engaged gear starts sticking. Taking off, cleaning and relubricating should sort it.

I’ve just watched a few videos on U Tube and I’m sure it’s the starter pinion not releasing back after she starts. 
Do you advise replacing, or could it be worth removing, cleaning & lubricating before re-fitting ?

The noises on the videos are identical to mine 🤨

If you enjoy tinkering then it might be satisfying to clean and replace, but if you just want it sorted it’s probably worth paying for a new/ re-conditioned one to avoid the faff. I think West Lancs Auto Electrics do them for a decent price.

here’s a run down of the disassembly required

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/18/2022 at 8:42 AM, Nobbie said:

If you enjoy tinkering then it might be satisfying to clean and replace, but if you just want it sorted it’s probably worth paying for a new/ re-conditioned one to avoid the faff. I think West Lancs Auto Electrics do them for a decent price.

here’s a run down of the disassembly required

Many thanks!  Since I posted this, it has failed to make any further noise since. Maybe a one-off ? Will keep an ear out for any recurrence, and if it does, will take your advice. 

Cheers 👍

• Like 1