Project 387

timbobalobox

26 minutes ago, Topbox said:

Thanks. I think the pinterest folder is a good idea. Lots of 356 images on Instagram too for inspiration. Ask friends and family too. Who is the snappy dresser? I'm not a fan of black on sports cars inside or out I should confess. However that's just me. The great thing with black inside it really does give unrestricted choice for your exterior. I would certainly look at the colours for the period of 356 production. I'm loving the blue from @Daboy3000 white wall tyres could enhance the retro look. Were any 356s produced with two tone paint schemes I wonder?

I'll have to revert to my better half for the colour options! :D

I can't find any original two tone, but this one from Outlaw looks quite good;

outlaw

I think this is one of the original colour charts;

Colour char

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, McDonald said:

This is likely to be the most popular thread over coming months. Your project is fascinating, I'll be following every instalment.

Thank you - I'll do my best to keep it up to date (it's also nice to keep it as a build diary).  I'm afraid I can't promise it'll be super-quick progress on the project however as I'll be shoe-horning this into everyday life with work/family etc!

• Like 1

IMHO - some "how not to's...." on this... the "386" badging and the horse brass seats.... but each to their own..... oh and the "someone else's steering wheel"

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373951940096?hash=item571145c600:g:w5YAAOSwoDViIxma

Edited by Paul P

17 hours ago, Paul P said:

IMHO - some "how not to's...." on this... the "386" badging and the horse brass seats.... but each to their own..... oh and the "someone else's steering wheel"

Totally agree, if I was basing it on a 986 I would do the centre console delete too, more leg room and classic Porsche look.

• Like 1

Oh my … that really is a beautiful thing. Look forward to the build. 
can I ask how much the kit costs ? 

As for the wheel I like the low profile tyres and the modern twist wheels. It’s individual not a replica of old. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Paul P said:

I think this is one of their early ones - Iconic no longer produce the kit for the 986 any more.  I plan on keeping the interior pretty much the same (other than replacing the worn/sticky buttons etc).  Still completely undecided on colour scheme! :D

2 hours ago, Wish said:

Oh my … that really is a beautiful thing. Look forward to the build. 
can I ask how much the kit costs ? 

As for the wheel I like the low profile tyres and the modern twist wheels. It’s individual not a replica of old. 

They look lovely in the flesh too!  The kit is £12k for the shell, then accessories on top 

I'm leaning towards the split rims in the original photos, but with the domed caps - this can all change though!

Had these delivered yesterday;

Parts

The dollies should make moving the car around the garage a bit easier whilst I'm working on it 👍

Really need to clear some space in the garage this weekend... 3 weeks or so for the shell/brackets will come round fast!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not a massive update... I spoke to Iconic today - looks like end of April/beginning of May for everything to be done :) 

They're really busy, but the body is pretty much complete, just need the bracketry fabricating then I can collect!

Still need to sort the garage out :D 

31 minutes ago, timbobalobox said:

Not a massive update... I spoke to Iconic today - looks like end of April/beginning of May for everything to be done :) 

They're really busy, but the body is pretty much complete, just need the bracketry fabricating then I can collect!

Still need to sort the garage out :D 

Exciting. You must be holding your breath. I'm really looking forward to seeing this project progress.

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Hi @timbobalobox , nice to meet you briefly today and enjoyed chatting on this, looking forward to updates on here as you get a chance. 👍

8 minutes ago, Pinewood said:

Good to meet you today - look forward to the project updates 👍🏽

These ^^

I think these look great. Saw a review from Jayemm on it. He mentioned that the screen ends up with a section at the bottom you can't see through. Other than that for me I think it's brilliant. I would go for the look in the pics apart from the hideous interior and hump colour. Silver, black interior and black humps. I really like that style of wheel also. Good luck. Can't wait to see how it turns out

On 4/27/2022 at 5:58 AM, Del_tl1000r said:

I think these look great. Saw a review from Jayemm on it. He mentioned that the screen ends up with a section at the bottom you can't see through. Other than that for me I think it's brilliant. I would go for the look in the pics apart from the hideous interior and hump colour. Silver, black interior and black humps. I really like that style of wheel also. Good luck. Can't wait to see how it turns out

That's where I first saw it - at the time I was looking at a Chesil (356 replica based on an original Beetle), but I preferred the modern driving characteristics of a Boxster!

Going out for a test drive I didn't think the screen was too much of a problem, comparable to the Boxster it isn't as good, but better than my old Cerbera which was a proper letter box :D

At the moment I'm leaning towards a petrol blue/original aquamarine blue with body colour humps, this is likely to change at least four times before I have to make the decision however!! :D

The split rim wheels have unfortunately gone up over double in price!  Iconic are looking at a single billeted wheel now which will look much the same but have the added benefit of being a lot lighter.

Kit should be ready w/c 9th May 👍👍

3 hours ago, timbobalobox said:

That's where I first saw it - at the time I was looking at a Chesil (356 replica based on an original Beetle), but I preferred the modern driving characteristics of a Boxster!

Going out for a test drive I didn't think the screen was too much of a problem, comparable to the Boxster it isn't as good, but better than my old Cerbera which was a proper letter box :D

At the moment I'm leaning towards a petrol blue/original aquamarine blue with body colour humps, this is likely to change at least four times before I have to make the decision however!! :D

The split rim wheels have unfortunately gone up over double in price!  Iconic are looking at a single billeted wheel now which will look much the same but have the added benefit of being a lot lighter.

Kit should be ready w/c 9th May 👍👍

Can't wait, the rest of us are posting b.....ks, passing time until this one starts (well I am anyway)

On 3/30/2022 at 11:39 AM, Daboy3000 said:

Great project, I look forward to the updates.

I am not a fan of the size of the wheels in your picture, i think they need more rubber.

This colour would work well with a black interior

porsche-356-speedster-blue_7716463148.jp

If that was taken at the Porsche museum in Stuttgart I owned that actual car, here it is with my mother in law sitting in it and my very young daughter she’s 25 now

M5OWLRc.jpg

• Like 1