Project 387

timbobalobox

Small update...  van booked to collect the kit on Thursday next week :) 

Means by Thursday afternoon I'll have a car in pieces and wondering what I've done 🤣🤣

I also started refreshing the interior with new climate switches;

Before

IMG_3829

After

IMG_3830

Huge difference and a really straight forward job to do.

Roll on Thursday!!  👍 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, timbobalobox said:

Small update...  van booked to collect the kit on Thursday next week :) 

Means by Thursday afternoon I'll have a car in pieces and wondering what I've done 🤣🤣

I also started refreshing the interior with new climate switches;

Before

IMG_3829

After

IMG_3830

Huge difference and a really straight forward job to do.

See @Chukkieegg, it’s a really straight forward job to do 😉

Collected!  I need a bigger garage :D 

52084892769_7682dd9ff7_b.jpg

The door skins/valances/brackets are buried underneath the clams.  

I doubt I'll be able to get properly started until the beginning of June as we're away for half term, but plan on getting cracking as soon as we're back!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

And so it begins...

Jacked the car up and moved it through 90 deg on the dollies - I had envisaged this being a doddle, but it despite the floor being really smooth it was bloody hard work to shift it round!

IMG_4058

Then off with taking it to bits

IMG_4062

I'm struggling to get the front wings off so may end up cutting the brackets I can't reach the bolts for - the original plan was to sell all of the parts, but the wings don't seem to be getting for much. 

Once the front is bare, I'll work my way round to the back and tonneau cover.  Then it's onto the cutting of the door skins... 😲

So far it's been the odd hour here and there in the evening, but hoping to get a better run at it over the weekend.

And yes, it's been mentioned more than once that 'why am I doing it now, when the weather is getting good' :D - I'm just impatient like a kid with a new toy 😁 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, timbobalobox said:

And so it begins...

Jacked the car up and moved it through 90 deg on the dollies - I had envisaged this being a doddle, but it despite the floor being really smooth it was bloody hard work to shift it round!

IMG_4058

IMG_4062

I'm struggling to get the front wings off so may end up cutting the brackets I can't reach the bolts for - the original plan was to sell all of the parts, but the wings don't seem to be getting for much. 

Once the front is bare, I'll work my way round to the back and tonneau cover.  Then it's onto the cutting of the door skins... 😲

So far it's been the odd hour here and there in the evening, but hoping to get a better run at it over the weekend.

And yes, it's been mentioned more than once that 'why am I doing it now, when the weather is getting good' :D - I'm just impatient like a kid with a new toy 😁 

Looks like your passing the point of no return now! Why do the door skins need cut?

50 minutes ago, timbobalobox said:

And so it begins...

IMG_4058

IMG_4062

Hat off to you and really looking forward to updates as it progresses. 👍

Edited by iborguk
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Del_tl1000r said:

Looks like your passing the point of no return now! Why do the door skins need cut?

Certainly feels that way!

In order to raise the top line of the doors and blend in with the new clams, there is a new shell that goes over the original door - for access to the handle mechanism and alignment most of the door gets cut open 😲

Soon I'll have to cut the rear wings! 

It's been like Christmas with the deliveries coming (and costing a small fortune!)

IMG_4065

Rear grills, different number plate options, door mirrors, front indicator grills, lights, light grills, rear light clusters, front bonnet handle and crest... the list goes on and on 😁

New springs get delivered today (the front needs to be lowered by 30-35mm), but unfortunately you can't buy just fronts so if anyone needs rear springs let me know!  Side note; I found out if you have PASM the springs need to be linear, not progressive

Managed to get a couple of hours in over the weekend - juggling with family/work was always going to be a challenge!

It's starting to look more naked!

Front wings off

IMG_4075

Working on the suspension - I found a local company that will swap the springs over if I take the dampers in for £15 a side, it's cheaper than buying a spring compressor, and to be honest that was one job I didn't fancy having seen what can go wrong on youtube :D Wing mirrors off too now.  You can see the marker on the door - this is where it needs to be cut open as mentioned in a previous post.

IMG_4076

I've worked round to the back now.  Bumpers, tonneau, lights etc off.  And yes, that's a huge pile of bits in the box behind!

IMG_4077

Various wiring - proximity sensors, number plate lights

IMG_4078

I'd like to be able to re-use the sensors, so will try and soak in thinners to get the original paint off.  The only issue is where to place on the new body, as they're not exactly period!  It might end up that I go without, but I'll play that one by ear.

One thing I've noticed throughout the disassembly so far is how well engineered these cars are - everything is well thought out and logical, with wire connectors where you need them, recesses for the spanner to unbolt etc, which is quite refreshing from working on TVRs!

Hoping to get another couple of hours tonight/tomorrow so should be on the cutting :(

Wait until you guys see what I have to do to the rear wings!

Once everything is cut, I'll give it all a good vacuum and wipe down then I can start putting it back together :) 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, timbobalobox said:

quite refreshing from working on TVRs!

Progress is starting to look rapid.

The 987 is indeed a joy to work on compared to TVRs. I owned a 350i for 5 years and anything on that car of TVR design was over-complicated and trouble.

I would vote for keeping the rear parking sensors. Hardly noticeable and no less period then the rear spoiler popping up.

1 hour ago, Codfanglers said:

The 987 is indeed a joy to work on compared to TVRs. I owned a 350i for 5 years and anything on that car of TVR design was over-complicated and trouble.

Definitely - the Chimaera wasn't great, and I was afraid to touch anything electrical on the Cerbera!

1 hour ago, Codfanglers said:

I would vote for keeping the rear parking sensors. Hardly noticeable and no less period then the rear spoiler popping up.

A very good point! :D

As long as I can soak the paint off so they match well they should look fine  👍 

2 minutes ago, Wish said:

Get rid of the sensors …… it’s not your wife’s shopping car is it ? 

Get a grip man, are you or are you not a driving god ? 

Ditch the power steering, PSM, heater, heated seats, air con, brake servo, ICE, and door mirrors as well if you want the inconvenience of a real man's sports car. 😎 

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, Wish said:

Get rid of the sensors …… it’s not your wife’s shopping car is it ? 

Get a grip man, are you or are you not a driving god ? 

🤣

The jury is still out for them - if I was going for bumpers on the new clam it'd be easier to blend them in, but as I'm keeping cleaner I may just not worry about putting them back.

Plus, I am of course a driving god 🤣

And on to the cutting...

The front intakes needed trimming back - it was roughly done and will be neatened up with the dremmel

IMG_4081

That thing on the left hand intake is an ipad wrapped in clingfilm!  It's great for checking things online as I go

Next up cutting the doors open!

IMG_4080

It was bit fiddly getting the handle off from the door side, so ended up cutting the plastic 'pull' that won't be used.  I dry fitted the new door skin but couldn't get a photo as it needed two hands!  They are the first parts on (you then line up the clams to these) so once the new solenoid and handle are in I'll temporarily silicone them on and get a snap - even holding it on it looks 😎

Starting to work on the rear wing 

IMG_4082

You can see the rough black marker line where it needs to be cut to, but as there are some pipes/wiring underneath I was taking it slow :(

That's all for last night - I tried to get the front dampers off, but needed a very thin 19mm spanner - luckily my father-in-law has one so will give it a go tonight.

I also had a quick go at taking the windscreen out with a wire kit, but with the amount of trim inside that could be damaged I've admitted defeat and will call in a pro!

• Like 1

A question, as I can't remember if you mentioned it in your "enquiry" thread. When you started this, was your Boxster totally fine? Or was there anything (scratched/faded paint, dents, rust etc) that made you a bit more willing to sacrifice it?  Old kit cars were based on 70s classics where the mechanicals were fine but the body/subframes had been rendered unroadworthy by rust. I think some of us are a bit surprised that someone would take an unblemished Porsche and hack bits off it...

Just curious!

2 hours ago, Daboy3000 said:

This is currently my favourite thread! Keep up the good work.

Thank you! 👍🏻 I’m really enjoying doing it so far - looking at the weather however I am wondering if I should have held fire for a few months… 🤦‍♂️

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

A question, as I can't remember if you mentioned it in your "enquiry" thread. When you started this, was your Boxster totally fine? Or was there anything (scratched/faded paint, dents, rust etc) that made you a bit more willing to sacrifice it?  Old kit cars were based on 70s classics where the mechanicals were fine but the body/subframes had been rendered unroadworthy by rust. I think some of us are a bit surprised that someone would take an unblemished Porsche and hack bits off it...

Just curious!

No worries 😁

There were a few stone chips/slight rust, but for a 2005 car it was in pretty good condition! 

The problem I found was sourcing a ‘problem’ car with the right spec, a straight chassis and the right price. 

I have to admit it feels a bit sacrilegious to do this to an otherwise good condition car, but I really wanted a decent car to build on and it seemed the only way to go to be honest 👍🏻

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Bit more chopping tonight!

IMG_4086IMG_4085

It needs a bit more coming off around the wheel arch, but I'll need to place the rear clam on to get the lines right.  Near-side is almost done too, but I'm taking it very gingerly due to the monster wiring loom underneath!

Totally agree with everyone above, balls of steel, great thread etc. I would feel exactly the same as you about cutting a good car but you logic is spot on, way cheaper and better to buy a good car, than try and fix a poor one along the way. They are not exactly thin on the ground either and if you look at what Singer etc. do to far more valuable cars it gives you some perspective.

• Like 1