Brakes

Elmer Fudd

Ayup! 😁

Got a bit of an intermittent fault with me brakes, most of the time they're OK ish but every now and then the pedal goes hard and they're pretty much none existent 😲 it's a bit scary especially with the boost in bhp.

Any thoughts? I was thinking maybe master cylinder or servo

Mine was 987 thus 997 GT3. Don’t know about 986 and as I never heard it here I assume it’s not an option. 987 was direct replacement to the extent they look almost identical, including part number!

14 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Mine was 987 thus 997 GT3. Don’t know about 986 and as I never heard it here I assume it’s not an option. 987 was direct replacement to the extent they look almost identical, including part number!

I also fitted the larger diameter master cylinder, but I think in this instance with the Op is possibly servo issue 

18 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Did it improve braking?

Thanks guys, will have a looky at the servo, they seem pretty expensive anyone got a link? Or would you get one from Steve Strange etc?

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Elmer Fudd said:

Ok, so I've now bought the bigger 3.2 S brakes and servo/master cylinder, do I need an adapter bracket to fit to my 2.7?

Upright castings and wheel carriers/hubs are all the same so should drop straight on.

Edited by ½cwt
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pordave said:

Silly question but if you upgrade to 3.2 discs on a 2.7 doesn’t inner wheel clearance and wheel size apply?

No question is silly, it's usually the answers 😂

If you have 16" wheels, probably, but I have 18" Panamera wheels with spacers 😉

The 16" ET 50 is actually a snow tyre size rim for the 3.2S as well as standard on the 2.5, so must clear as they wouldn't expect you to change the brakes as well.  That said I almost posted that 16" rims would be an issues until I checked.

16 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Upright castings and wheel carriers/hubs are all the same so should drop straight on.

Need to caveat this @Elmer Fudd - AT THE FRONT ONLY.. REAR is different wheel carrier/upright.  Apologies for mis-leading.

There are some variations depending on 5 or 6 speed, Tip and whether you have PSM for the reservoir as it shares with the clutch on the manual 'boxes. The master cylinder is only different if you have PSM, otherwise the same for all the gearbox options. Can I suggest you download the PDF of the Porsche parts catalogue from here:

Porsche Classic Genuine Parts Catalogue - Porsche Great Britain

and do a thorough check for your car.   

@TROOPER88 do you know enough about the differences between 2.7 and 3.2 brakes to comment here having physically seen many of both versions?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

There are some variations depending on 5 or 6 speed, Tip and whether you have PSM for the reservoir as it shares with the clutch on the manual 'boxes. The master cylinder is only different if you have PSM, otherwise the same for all the gearbox options. Can I suggest you download the PDF of the Porsche parts catalogue from here:

@TROOPER88 do you know enough about the differences between 2.7 and 3.2 brakes to comment here having physically seen many of both versions?

Thanks, having had a good search around it appears that the part numbers are the same for 2.7 and 3.2s non psm servo's/master cylinders, so it shouldn't matter having 's' fronts and 2.7 rears, just better front braking 

Edited by Elmer Fudd

16 hours ago, ½cwt said:

The 16" ET 50 is actually a snow tyre size rim for the 3.2S as well as standard on the 2.5, so must clear as they wouldn't expect you to change the brakes as well.  That said I almost posted that 16" rims would be an issues until I checked.

This is golden info. Thank you.

Cheeky question - do you have an image of the wheel design you can share please?

Fanks 👍

Edited by map

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

Nope as I only work on one at a time and as such, I never compare, if that makes sense.

What I would not do though is change from 2.5/7 to 3.2 with the aim of improving braking. The brakes on all models are fabulous when working correctly.

The OP needs to find his problem rather than throwing money at S brakes 

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, map said:

This is golden info. Thank you.

Cheeky question - do you have an image of the wheel design you can share please?

Fanks 👍

I believe the original standard 2.5 rims (3.2 snow tyre rims) look like this. I wait to be corrected !

PORSCHE BOXSTER 986 16 ALLOY WHEELS BOXSTER ALLOYS BOXSTER WHEELS J434HMV | eBay

14 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

I believe the original standard 2.5 rims (3.2 snow tyre rims) look like this. I wait to be corrected !

PORSCHE BOXSTER 986 16 ALLOY WHEELS BOXSTER ALLOYS BOXSTER WHEELS J434HMV | eBay

Thank you - a friend has these on his 2.7 - I’ll try them next time we have his car and mine in the same place.