Retrim steering wheel

Doddler

Hi, I am getting my 987.2 Spyder steering wheel retrimmed in Alcantara from royalsteeringwheels using there exchange process. Ive watched a few YouTube videos in how to get the steering wheel off but wondered if anybody has any good tips so I don't mess it up. Also if I wanted to replace the centre piece of the steering wheel (its silver I'd like black), does anybody know where I could get a replacement from or is it a case of searching the breakers yards. Cheers

spyder steering wheel.jpg

Edited by Doddler

• Doddler changed the title to Retrim steering wheel

@Doddler Price of a black centre piece will be more than having yours professionally painted. And I bet you could even get a good result with a rattle can.

Steering wheel removal is easy but getting the steering wheel trim off on some wheels is sometimes a risky business. My 987 Gen 1 came apart no problem but Jack recommended letting him take my 981 wheel apart to avoid breakages, watching the process I'm glad I did. Ask his advise on strip down.

I would imagine that wheel is simple to strip down using some trim tools.

I think it would look good in satin/Matt black and that would make for a easier Diy. Another option is to remove it and get it professionally wrapped in what ever you fancy.

Removal and installation is easy, just make sure you disconnect the battery at least a half hour before you start removing the airbag 👍

Thanks everyone. Effectively I’m getting a new wheel retrimmed in alcantara with red stripe marker. I then have to remove the wheels innards of my existing one ie airbag module plus silver cross member and transfer to new wheel. I thought originally that the cross member would come with the new one but that does not seem to be the case. Think I’ll keep it silver unless I can find a spare black one.