Recommendations for short term insurance for 5 days, on a car I don't own.

Anyone recommend where I can get insurance for Lynn's fathers car for around 5 days? 

We have friends coming from Barbados to stay with us a few days and we will do a few nights in the Highlands with them, as my current car is only 2 seats it's either hire a car or borrow Lynn's dads. My insurance covers me for other cars, but only emergency/short term so wondering if there are companies that would insure on a car I don't own short term.

7 minutes ago, Scubaregs said:

Anyone recommend where I can get insurance for Lynn's fathers car for around 5 days? 

We have friends coming from Barbados to stay with us a few days and we will do a few nights in the Highlands with them, as my current car is only 2 seats it's either hire a car or borrow Lynn's dads. My insurance covers me for other cars, but only emergency/short term so wondering if there are companies that would insure on a car I don't own short term.

Maybe he could add you as a named/temporary driver ? 

Edited by iborguk

I've done something similiar getting short term insurance on one of my cars for my FIL when he's been over. Basically a call into the existing insurers to add a, driver temporarily is the easiest route. It's quite expensive though I think we paid about 30% of the annual policy for 1 month of cover. 

2 hours ago, Scubaregs said:

My insurance covers me for other cars, but only emergency/short term

How do they determine what is "short term"...?  My suggestion would be to just drive it under your own insurance.  If you're not comfortable with that, just hire the cheapest car you can find for 5 days.  I haven't hired a car for ages, but I don't think they're that expensive, as long as you avoid the bigger firms like Avis/Hertz etc.

16 minutes ago, Davey P said:

How do they determine what is "short term"...?  My suggestion would be to just drive it under your own insurance.

Most likely that will be third party cover only, certainly not comprehensive. For scubaregs to check.

Hiring a car is also an option to price up.

47 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Most likely that will be third party cover only, certainly not comprehensive. For scubaregs to check.

Hiring a car is also an option to price up.

Yes, 3rd party only which I'm not comfortable with, sods law and all that....

Having a half decent hire car will be around £250 for a couple of days, might be the way to go.

how much would it be to add dads car onto your policy for the period of time you need it? i'm just thinking, surely its a fairly common thing to do if you want to give a car a thorough test drive before buying it, you might need to insure yourself on it for a few days first.

might be cheaper than you think, given your own insurer will know you can't be driving your own car while you're driving another car.

or even phone up to swap your usual car for your dads car, in which case you might even get a refund if dads car is less risky than your current car. then swap back when you're done. though, this would, i guess, leave your current car uninsured for a few days, so might not be preferable unless you can lock it away in a garage or something.

but long story short, i'd definitely phone your insurer and see if they can help.

another thought - take out a separate policy to start the day before the holiday, then cancel it when you're done.  you'll still be in the cooling off period, so might only have to pay an admin charge of £30 or so.

2 hours ago, Justchris said:

I've used Veygo (its an Admiral Company) in the past and had no issues

I’ve also used Veygo a couple of times to insure my 17yr old son on my car as my own insurance company don’t insure under 21’s.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 944GS said:

I’ve also used Veygo a couple of times to insure my 17yr old son on my car as my own insurance company don’t insure under 21’s.

Coming out under £30 for 5 days, not too shabby. Not sure if that is third party though.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Scubaregs said:

Coming out under £30 for 5 days, not too shabby. Not sure if that is third party though.

My car was definitely insured, I made sure of it since the first time I used them was the day after he passed his test!  I don’t think third party was even offered as an option when I got the quote.

Edited by 944GS
  • Like 1

Whatever the insurer, you need to specifically check whether they cover drivers without a UK driving licence if that is the situation with your Barbadian visitor. Most will not. It will be in their T’s and C’s or details of the additional driver questions which most people don’t read. I have a relative who happily drove around uninsured for several visits unaware of this. They now hire a car because they couldn’t find any other way of getting insurance.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BrianJ said:

Whatever the insurer, you need to specifically check whether they cover drivers without a UK driving licence if that is the situation with your Barbadian visitor. Most will not. It will be in their T’s and C’s or details of the additional driver questions which most people don’t read. I have a relative who happily drove around uninsured for several visits unaware of this. They now hire a car because they couldn’t find any other way of getting insurance.

I didn't have any problem with LV or admiral as long as the driver had an IDL but their policies could have changed recently. 

6 hours ago, BrianJ said:

I will be driving.