V or N tyre speed ratings for a 2000 reg 986

Rjg

Ordered 2 205 55 r16 Bridgestone tyres with  a V speed rating this morning and have just had an Email from the supplier that

these are not suitable for my car and should be tyres with a N rating.Otherwise my warranty with Porsche may be null and void and my insurance may be affected. Not worried re the Warranty, it’s 22 year old car but I’m struggling to understand the insurance part. What is wrong with V speed rated tyres can anybody tell me.

TIA Rob.

V is the speed rating. N is the designation for Porsche approved. Presumably you ordered from Blackcircles as this is their standard email. Don't worry about the N rating. 

The insurance thing is often repeated and as far as I know totally unfounded.  Some have asked their insurance company and have been told “legal tyres of the correct speed and load rating” 

Just “legal”‘weasel words  

personally, if that’s how they think that’s the way to do business I would pay a bit more to go somewhere else.

A local tyre pace that lots of people use have a big sign over the counter and make of point of saying 

“You must check the torque of the wheel bits after 30 miles”

what utter BS.  If they have done them up properly then why do I need to do it again, if they haven’t and rhey get sued would “we Told you to check them” would hold up in court.  

6 minutes ago, Paul P said:

what utter BS.  If they have done them up properly then why do I need to do it again, if they haven’t and rhey get sued would “we Told you to check them” would hold up in court.  

Only if they document the torque setting used on every bolt on every car and have certified calibrated wrenches and the hubs and wheels were all at ambient temperature to ensure the metal hasn't contracted possibly causing a lower effective toque, otherwise they are the qualified person carrying out the work. When I was doing my Mech Eng degree at Cov Poly on of the keen amateur car mechanics (like many of use were) in the year group asked our materials lecturer about torqueing bolts when we were studying yield and shear.  The reply was the only reliable clamping force using a bolt is torque to yield.

Perhaps if they said come back after 30 miles for a free torque cheque they might ahve a better relationship with their customers?

2 hours ago, Rjg said:

Ordered 2 205 55 r16 Bridgestone tyres with  a V speed rating this morning and have just had an Email from the supplier that

these are not suitable for my car and should be tyres with a N rating.Otherwise my warranty with Porsche may be null and void and my insurance may be affected. Not worried re the Warranty, it’s 22 year old car but I’m struggling to understand the insurance part. What is wrong with V speed rated tyres can anybody tell me.

TIA Rob.

Go back to them and ask exactly which tyres on the market now that are N rated achieved that homologation with Porsche on a 986?  They might have to do a lot or research and look in some very old warehouse to find some for you.  Any tyre homologated by Porsche for a 986 is a design that is at least 18 years old now.  I'm not even sure you will find a 205/55/16 tyre with an N rating anywhere now, Blackcircles do list 3, two N0 (the Yoko one is described as a 'Vintage' tyre!) and one N5, none of which appear on the 986 Certificates of Conformity as being N tyre options as those have all been superseded (QED).....  If they were that concerned they should decline your order...

Short answer - they are talking rubbish.

Edited by ½cwt
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Only if they document the torque setting used on every bolt on every car and have certified calibrated wrenches and the hubs and wheels were all at ambient temperature to ensure the metal hasn't contracted possibly causing a lower effective toque, otherwise they are the qualified person carrying out the work. When I was doing my Mech Eng degree at Cov Poly on of the keen amateur car mechanics (like many of use were) in the year group asked our materials lecturer about torqueing bolts when we were studying yield and shear.  The reply was the only reliable clamping force using a bolt is torque to yield.

Perhaps if they said come back after 30 miles for a free torque cheque they might ahve a better relationship with their customers?

If their kit couldn’t tighten the bolt correctly 30 miles ago. Won’t be any better this time.  and why 30 miles.  Why not 35 or 25 etc. 

they use the word torque to mean tight. They don’t know or ask what the torque should be, and they don’t ever ask if the person they are telling to “check the torque” knows what they are talking about.  Mate of a mate’s mum ended up calling the as because she realised she hadn’t “done the thing the man in the garage said” and had driven 50 miles.  

just unnecessary. 

• Haha 1

It won’t be the supplier that will be fitting the tyres, that is booked in for sat morning with a good local

Garage I have used previously always with excellent results. 

I have been given to understand the SPEED rating is/has an input into the tyre construction so gauging tyre fitment on speed rating alone is an erroneous concept.

i.e. fitting tyres with a U rating of 124 MPH(assuming you could find the appropriate size) might be seen as adequate for driving in a country with a legal top ROAD (not track) speed of 70 MPH however there are other factors at play.

Really rare to see a Boxster with 16" wheels BTW.

If I was me I'd be content with the V rated tyres.

Based on the speed performance parameters of a Boxster, a 2.5 is technically right on the limit of V rated tyres with a top speed of 149mph/240kmh, a 2.7 should be on a W at least with top speed of 155mph/250kmh (slightly higher on facelift cars) and all the 3.2 variants are still in the W range.

V - up to 149/240

W - up to 168/270

Y - up to 186 / 300

Interesting as when I was searching for tyres for my 2.5, I tried to give the business to a local garage that have been very helpful over the years, so I shared the tyre cost from the internet with them for the Goodyear F1's that I'd converged on. The owner said they weren't 'Porsche' rated and insisted on offering 'N' rated tyres, and wouldn't even give a quote for the F1's - crazy! Anyway, I finally purchased 'Y' rated F1's off the net and fitted locally, and so far been delighted 😁 

19 minutes ago, brillomaster said:

N rated tyres for a car thats over 20 years old... 🤣

I know, everyone knows the N stands for New :whistle:

On 6/18/2022 at 12:01 PM, GmanB said:

V rating should be fine, just remember to keep her under 149mph. 👍

I’ll try my best but can’t make any promises.😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/18/2022 at 12:44 PM, EXY said:

I have been given to understand the SPEED rating is/has an input into the tyre construction so gauging tyre fitment on speed rating alone is an erroneous concept.

i.e. fitting tyres with a U rating of 124 MPH(assuming you could find the appropriate size) might be seen as adequate for driving in a country with a legal top ROAD (not track) speed of 70 MPH however there are other factors at play.

Really rare to see a Boxster with 16" wheels BTW.

If I was me I'd be content with the V rated tyres.

It’s my more than satisfied POV with the tyres that were on the car before and for 2 years in my ownership that convinced me to replace with the same.  Happy with my 16’s too. 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brillomaster said:

Just out of interest... whats higher than Y? There are quite a few cars these days that top out past 200mph, what tyres do they run? Arent the likes of MPS4S and GY f1s all Y rated?

Once you get over 300 km/h or 186 mph performance I guess you are on to vehicle specific tyres, although I thought there was a Z rating at one time but can't find it now.  A bit more info here: Tyre Speed Rating | Chart and Rating Letters | The AA which lists (Y) as 186+