987.1 Tyres

ChrisW2

I have a 987.1 2.7 with 18" wheels.  It currently has Continental Sport Contact N rated tyres.

The front tyres need changing due to cracking.  Budget doesn't really allow me to change all 4 right now.  What would you recommend and would mismatched from and rear be a real issue for a while?  Just road driving and I don'r really push the limits.

Thanks for any advice.  

On fresh rubber the front will feel more grippy.  The go to option would be one of the Michelin Pilot Sport variants, but Goodyear Asymmetric are also a good option and a bit more wallet friendly.  I'm sure others will add more in due course.

Money no object, it has to be Michelins.

excellent performance, but slightly wallet friendlier i'd go Goodyears (my preferred choice)

medium performance, but very wallet friendly would be the likes of Hankook or Kumho.

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2022-Tyre-Reviews-17-Inch-UHP-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2021-Tyre-Reviews-UHP-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm

Also, ignore the N rating requirement, it makes no difference on a car of that age.

Edited by brillomaster
  • Like 2

Thank you

On black Circles fitted price is £130.50 for the Michelin Pilot Sport 5 (same price for the Pilot Sport 4) and £126 for Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 so not much in it price wise.  I guess either would be fine.

• Thanks 1

Not sure if you or anyone you know is a Costco member but they often do good deals on Michelin and, I think Bridgestone. Not the quickest fitters at least at my local branch but the tyres I have had from there have always been a few weeks old based on the date stamp. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Quick question.

About to take the plunge and buy 4 new tyres for my Boxster by taking the Michelin ATS Euro master promotion. For some reason the Pilot Sport 5's are far cheaper than the Pilot Sport 4s for the fronts. However I can't get Pilot Sport 5's on the rear just the 4s. Is it ok to mix Pilot Sport 5s on the front a Pilot Sport 4s for the rears? Maybe a stupid question but don't really know much about it. 

1 hour ago, Bleedsoff said:

Quick question.

About to take the plunge and buy 4 new tyres for my Boxster by taking the Michelin ATS Euro master promotion. For some reason the Pilot Sport 5's are far cheaper than the Pilot Sport 4s for the fronts. However I can't get Pilot Sport 5's on the rear just the 4s. Is it ok to mix Pilot Sport 5s on the front a Pilot Sport 4s for the rears? Maybe a stupid question but don't really know much about it. 

Probably less difference than new rears and part worn fronts when the rears wear out more quickly.  Ultimately it is fresh rubber of a similar type so will be fine.

9 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Probably less difference than new rears and part worn fronts when the rears wear out more quickly.  Ultimately it is fresh rubber of a similar type so will be fine.

Thanks for all the answers. 

I doubt there will be much difference between the 2 tyres. But was approx £70 cheaper to to put the newer 5s on the front then the 4s. I haven't gone for N rating not sure it worth it for such an old car. So that's £500 for all new Michelin on my Boxster! 

• Like 1

Tell them the entire car is not Porsche approved, it is too old for any standard Porsche warranty. And the new tyres probably were not approved for a 987, perhaps not even a 981, only a 718.

And can't they sell them to you without fitting, then you get someone else to fit?

On 8/11/2022 at 12:47 PM, JonSta said:

Loved the Falkens on my Subaru. Hard to unstick wet or dry. Usually v reasonable too.

+1 for Falken Azenis, seem to be a decent tyre (I don't claim to be an expert though) - my local tyre place happens to be Falken agents, I got a pair of 19in rears for £300 fitted plus a £15 fuel voucher last time.  Miles cheaper than anything else 'premium'.  If it makes the purists feel reassured Porsche are fitting Falken as OEM on Macans these days.

From what I've read the N rating tyre thing on older cars makes no difference - tyre technology has moved on loads since my 2006 car was new so as long as you're fitting something decent then it's bound to be on a par or better that what would have been 'approved' at the time.  Obviously I get that it makes a difference if you have a shiny 718 and want to keep it under OPC warranty.

Edited by Hainesy
  • Like 1