Direct Line breakdown cover

I’ve been with Direct Line/Green Flag for some years now, and they always quote a renewal figure just a few pounds under last year’s premium, presumably as some mild psychological trick to make you think you’re getting good value.

I’ve used them as it gives me personal cover for any vehicle I’m in (including the motorbike), but the wrinkle is that our T25 camper van is now 34 year old so has to be the named vehicle on the policy. No problem for many years, but this year’s renewal stated that they only cover other vehicles that are under 16 years old, and my 2005 987 would not therefore be covered automatically.

So this is the point of my post:

- initial renewal quote was £244 (personal cover for me and my wife, any vehicle + aged camper van)

- quote to add the Boxster raised it to £280

I objected, said I could get it from the RAC for £180 and 10 minutes later a “mystery loyalty bonus” was applied and the new quote is £174.

Probably not news to many people, but just like car insurance, haggle people, it’s worth it (and annoying that we have to).

My renewal came today for my Ford Ranger wildtrack,ive been with Directline 3yrs,last year it was £625 as its classed as commercial insurance ..... they want a staggering £934!!! ive had no accidents etc so have gone with Autonet - £327!!!

Gone with AA  at £11.30 a month covering me in any vehicle - onward travel - night in hotel if needed and car relayed to choice of garage - registered the box and my fiesta - this was after the RAC left me & Mr997 stranded for 18hrs and having to try to sleep in the car because the RAC don't have any flatbeds in their fleet - they sub contract that side of things out...very badly!

I guess all the players want to chip their premiums down to be competitive.  I've used the AA for a very long time (since '87) for me and added The Better ½ when we met and married.  Any vehicle either of us is even travelling in (let alone owned by us) is covered as it is personal not vehicle based membership. Is it cheap, no.  But as per @CAZ's recent experience there is a reason they also review as one of the best with Which? each year.  There are another set of useful benefits, 10% off at Halfords, 20% off Greene King related restaurants (handy when taking the younger generations out or touring on holidays) and several other member benefits too which can quickly recoup the extra membership costs.

I've recently upgraded my Nationwide current account to get Worldwide family travel insurance, UK & Europe breakdown cover (from the AA), worldwide mobile phone cover for £13 per month, but will still keep my personal higher spec'd UK AA membership running.  Much the same as car accident insurance you only find out whether shaving a few quid off was really worth it and you get to find out where those few quid were saved by the provider, eh @CAZ?

Are they fallible and I'm sure a few can post AA horror stories too prove a point, however I've not been let down by them yet, but then Linda or I have only been stuck at the roadside 5 times (2 accidents with vehicle undrivable - one was with Linda as a passenger in someone else's car - and 3 breakdowns, electrical, but not a failed battery, and all roadside fixes) in 35 years and each time the service has been satisfactory with the required solution.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Our RAC ultimate cover at £0 (see post above) covers the driver not the car.

I also thought the RAC were rolling these out…no flatbed required ?

https://www.rac.co.uk/innovation/all-wheels-up

Not quickly enough to hlep @CAZ though.  Jam tomorrow may be?

Even though the vaunted RDT system on the same link that they've had for 20 years couldn't help a Boxster with a water leak apparently and that should only need 2 wheels lifted to recover it!