987 radio upgrade non Fiber optic

Terry Mains

Welcome. 

Fairly well trodden path and the answer are really what do you want, how hands on effigy etc

There an active thread running on this and a few in the how to section I think. 

Suggest start here 

Upgrade Stereo Head Unit https://www.BoXa.net/topic/95399-upgrade-stereo-head-unit/

• Like 1

Hi @Terry Mains

I'm going through exactly the same at the moment and have done some research.

This is a great place to start;
https://incartec.co.uk/Porsche/Boxster-987/Stereo-Upgrade-Double-Din/Pioneer-Double-din

From here I navigated to the CDR-24 without Bose (I have the entry level system)

Then this seems to be the kit I need;
https://incartec.co.uk/product/Porsche-987-997-Single-Double-DIN-stereo-fitting-kit-CANBUS-IGNITION-SILVER-FK-9591-IGN

This will present a standard ISO socket to fit an after market head unit in to.

I considered the following 2 units;
  Pioneer SPH-DA160DAB (circa £350 GBP) (some great videos on YouTube)
  JVC KW-M560BT (circa £310 GBP)

JVC has no DAB so I'm going for the Pioneer even though I may not rig up DAB on day one. (need to research that a bit more)

This should give me;
  Bluetooth hands free phone calls
  Sat Nav via Android Auto
  Spotify and locally stored music (MP3 and FLAC)
  The ability to fit a reversing camera rather than try to retro fit parking sensors and drill the Bumper!

Edited by Dan888
  • Like 1

I'm also looking at this, sparked by Dan's finding of the DA160DAB.

My situation: 987.1, Bose, currently PCM2.1, no steering wheel controls.

My wants: 

Reliable unit, not a budget Chinese one. Fit and forget, don't want to change every 6 months.

Cheap as possible; everything for £400 would be nice but seems unlikely.

Hands free phone via speakers

Reverse camera

Apple carplay for satnav

Bose adaptor, fitting surround and harness

Phone charging – probably wired, I see several functions don't often work wireless/bluetooth

USB slot for music? Though for 10 years I rarely use music in that car. Maybe it will change. I don't keep music on my phone now, maybe that's an option.

No interest in Spotify as Portuguese mobile data packages are really mean.

So far I've got Dan's DA160 at €315 (but no USB card for music) and a Kenwood DMX5020DBS at €370. There is a Sony XAV-AX1005KIT but it's a bit odd, single DIN body but double DIN screen. and a Sony XAV-AX3250ANT for €355, which has physical buttons but seems to only work when the phone is cabled.

Ironically we'd get far more use of a new unit in the family Toyota, but in that case I've managed to screw a wireless charging iphone mount to a great place by the steering wheel, so that pretty much does the phone, satnav duties which is what I really want.  Reverse sensors in the Toyota work fine, but the Boxster ones have always been iffy.

and if I really want just hands-free phone, I can get a Mr12volt/Denison adaptor for about €160, which also has a USB socket (for music?) But it seemed to be half the price for a third of the functions, and you know, man maths...

Edited by Menoporsche
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

I'm also looking at this, sparked by Dan's finding of the DA160DAB.

My situation: 987.1, Bose, currently PCM2.1, no steering wheel controls.

My wants: 

Reliable unit, not a budget Chinese one. Fit and forget, don't want to change every 6 months.

Cheap as possible; everything for £400 would be nice but seems unlikely.

Hands free phone via speakers

Reverse camera

Apple carplay for satnav

Bose adaptor, fitting surround and harness

Phone charging – probably wired, I see several functions don't often work wireless/bluetooth

USB slot for music? Though for 10 years I rarely use music in that car. Maybe it will change. I don't keep music on my phone now, maybe that's an option.

No interest in Spotify as Portuguese mobile data packages are really mean.

So far I've got Dan's DA160 at €315 (but no USB card for music) and a Kenwood DMX5020DBS at €370. There is a Sony XAV-AX1005KIT but it's a bit odd, single DIN body but double DIN screen. and a Sony XAV-AX3250ANT for €355, which has physical buttons but seems to only work when the phone is cabled.

Ironically we'd get far more use of a new unit in the family Toyota, but in that case I've managed to screw a wireless charging iphone mount to a great place by the steering wheel, so that pretty much does the phone, satnav duties which is what I really want.  Reverse sensors in the Toyota work fine, but the Boxster ones have always been iffy.

and if I really want just hands-free phone, I can get a Mr12volt/Denison adaptor for about €160, which also has a USB socket (for music?) But it seemed to be half the price for a third of the functions, and you know, man maths...

Everything there doable.  Except I reckon the price.  The Bose adapter adds a chunk of money and you likely need an extra adapter for canbus signals for lights on,ignition on and perhaps reverse for triggering the switch to a camera.  those and the fascia kit are going to eat your 400 EUR before you get a head unit I think.  

And absolutely go for physical buttons, if you have steering wheel controls then maybe you could get away without but it's really difficult on the move to get to a volume button on a screen.   

Thanks Paul I think you're right, it will be the adapters/fascia that kill the budget as much as anything else :(  Just seems crazy to spend 500+ on something I hardly use.  Perhaps I should just get the Mr12Volt and rely primarily on the voice instructions coming through the speakers. Doesn't get me a reverse cam though... 

Ah, tech...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

Thanks Paul I think you're right, it will be the adapters/fascia that kill the budget as much as anything else :(  Just seems crazy to spend 500+ on something I hardly use.  Perhaps I should just get the Mr12Volt and rely primarily on the voice instructions coming through the speakers. Doesn't get me a reverse cam though... 

Ah, tech...

But.  Do it once and do it right.  If you don’t put in what you want then it’s forever a compromise. Easy to say of course, but if it worth doing etc.  

me personally, either swallow it and get what you want or keep what you have.  

but that’s me.  

12 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Ah, tech...

I know they are unfashionable, but a £15 FM transmitter blue-toothed to my phone gives me Spotify (download a playlist @Menoporsche if your data package is tiny), Waze spoken instructions and even phone calls at a push (the microphone is limited). For the few times I use music in the car this works well and I’ll only spend the £600 to upgrade when something in the original equipment breaks. I also use a wireless charging phone holder to complete the setup.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-Transmitter-ZeaLife-Wireless-Charging-black/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/9/2022 at 8:42 PM, Menoporsche said:

Ah, tech...

I’ve this fitted and it’s perfect for the times I use Nav and play music via my phone. 

Keep thinking be nice to have a double din ApplePlay unit but with the above and a Brodit bracket for the phone, it’s a hard sell even using man maths.