What's this all about?

Ninesomething

As I'm coasting to a halt in gear without the brakes on I hear a noise like the brake coming on - left rear side. Then just before the car stops it goes off and it feels like a brake has released - the car accelerates just slightly. Tried it with the handbrake slightly on, PSM on or off doesn't make any difference. This is at 10-15mph or less. Dunno.....

Possibly small stone lodged down the back of a brake caliper. They can make very odd noises and being a wedge shape can have that slight braking effect as the slowly rotating disk causes them to act like a clamp, then release. Had this several times on my 987. If it is that, sometimes they ping out when you go into reverse. One defeated my service guy and several weeks later I found it by taking the wheel off and peering down the back of the caliper from above - a tiny, ground down stone was lodged in a groove in the back of the caliper, resting against the back of the disk. Poked it out with a wire, end of months of intermittent weird noises and strange slight braking effects. 

I doubt it's the master cylinder. I would check the pistons are free on the affected caliper. Then if your car has the anti vibration shims that these are working and on as should be.