Clean Switches

Dan888

Hi,

I have the start of the gummy / sticky switches issue (temp and blower).
The videos I've seen to rectify this involve replacing the switches which looks very involved.

Is there a simple way to clean them off with a cotton bud and some sort of solution?
Is it soapy water or is there recommended stuff to use?

Cheers

This was one of the first jobs I completed myself when I bought the car last year, it’s really not that difficult and I think it only took me around an hour, well worth doing and only cost about £30 for the switches.

17 minutes ago, 944GS said:

This was one of the first jobs I completed myself when I bought the car last year, it’s really not that difficult and I think it only took me around an hour, well worth doing and only cost about £30 for the switches.

Were they OEM replacement parts?

3 hours ago, skoosh1970 said:

... i assume this only affected the 987.1 models ..?

My 2010 2.9 buttons are like new, even after 155k miles.... did they update or upgrade the materials used i wonder..?

yes.  Different material on the .2 but the knobs on the pcm can suffer the same - those are available as replacement parts from OPC unlike the temp and fan on the .1 hvac units. 

2 hours ago, Dan888 said:

Most opinion seems to be do a replacement...
Is there much point in trying to clean them up first, if so what should I use?

There was a thread on here a while back regarding repainting them but you have e  to remove them to do that - at which point - you may as well replace them - there’s nothing to clean really. The sticky nastiness is the coating - so all you can remove is that - If you clean that off  it then underneath is translucent white plastic. 

On 8/16/2022 at 1:05 PM, Dan888 said:

Hi,

I have the start of the gummy / sticky switches issue (temp and blower).
The videos I've seen to rectify this involve replacing the switches which looks very involved.

Is there a simple way to clean them off with a cotton bud and some sort of solution?
Is it soapy water or is there recommended stuff to use?

Cheers

The replacement process isn't that hard...

https://climarepair.com/remove-porsche-a-c-heater-controls/