CDR24 Ipod / aux connectors

Lewis987

Afternoon all, newbie saying hello!

New to me, '07 987 S in midnight blue bought from Sean at Flat six classics in Devon. Lovely car and every bit as enjoyable as my previous 964 Targa and 996 Cab.

Quick stereo question; I have CDR24 with Bose. In the centre console I have 2 ports, one for a standard headphone jack (marked Aux) and one for a round multi-pin plug (marked iPod). Standard kit? Looks it.

Playing around with some old cables, my iPhone 8 plugs straight into the Aux and plays Spotify on channel 9 of the radio! I'm thrilled with that to be honest as I don't want to throw cash at a Dennison or the like yet. 

To use the other port marked iPod, I'd need to buy a £30 cable (mini-DIN to Lightning I think) BUT what would that give me if anything? Would I gain use of the stereo controls to switch songs etc or would it just play whatever is on the phone as the Aux port does?   

Ta very much in advance!

1 hour ago, Lewis987 said:

Afternoon all, newbie saying hello!

New to me, '07 987 S in midnight blue bought from Sean at Flat six classics in Devon. Lovely car and every bit as enjoyable as my previous 964 Targa and 996 Cab.

Quick stereo question; I have CDR24 with Bose. In the centre console I have 2 ports, one for a standard headphone jack (marked Aux) and one for a round multi-pin plug (marked iPod). Standard kit? Looks it.

Playing around with some old cables, my iPhone 8 plugs straight into the Aux and plays Spotify on channel 9 of the radio! I'm thrilled with that to be honest as I don't want to throw cash at a Dennison or the like yet. 

To use the other port marked iPod, I'd need to buy a £30 cable (mini-DIN to Lightning I think) BUT what would that give me if anything? Would I gain use of the stereo controls to switch songs etc or would it just play whatever is on the phone as the Aux port does?   

Ta very much in advance!

No 1st hand experience with that particular setup - mine has the pcm with universal audio interface which is similar but adds a USB port. 

I suspect you will need something “different” to make an iPhone work on the mini din port since I assume it’s the same as the one in the universal audio. You will likely get iPod controls and track information  but perhaps no sound   

the iPhones only provide digital audio on the lightning connector.  The car wants analog audio - so you need an digital / analog converter between the phone and the car.  The apple lightning to 30 pin adapters provide this.  The eBay ones don’t - so you end up with no sound. as such I would assume you would need to end up with mini din to 30 pin and apple 30 pin to lightning adapter. In my setup that gives you track info, allows you to search for artist album etc and does pause when the phone rings.  

But that’s a guess - there maybe some other magic cable combo - and if you have found a din to lightning cable I would be interested in the specs to see if I could use it to minimise the adapters and cables in use on my setup.  

1 hour ago, Dan888 said:

Would that charge your iPod / iPhone too?

In the universal audio setup (aux/iPod (din) /usb) you get “Y” cable.  Goes in to usb and din and results in a 30pin old style iPod connector.  Usb just carries power to the phone everything else goes through the din. 

Trouble is - that’s all based on original ish spec - so carries 0.5a so a modern iPhone, screen on, gps running, nav software running and potentially streaming music needs more the 0.5a. So the phone discharges, all be it slowly but on a long drive it could be an issue.  

You can pull the Usb part of the y cable and connect that to a higher rated charger (ciggy lighter or a wired 1amp transformer, but that’s another cable you have to route and stuff into the glove box

i use the standard usb unless I am on a long drive or the phone is particularly low when I start - in that case I run a short usb extension lead from a ciggy lighter adapter in the centre console back to the armrest - ugly but practical for when it’s needed.  

I don’t reckon the non usb version of the connection carries power at all to be honest - otherwise they wouldn’t have bothered with the heath Robinson setup on the gen 2 cars. 

20 hours ago, Paul P said:

I would assume you would need to end up with mini din to 30 pin and apple 30 pin to lightning adapter. In my setup that gives you track info, allows you to search for artist album etc and does pause when the phone rings.  

That's great info. I suppose if I go Amazon with free returns I can check whether it works as long as I unpack it all carefully. It's a potential 60 quid solution which is pretty impressive... 

But that’s a guess - there maybe some other magic cable combo - and if you have found a din to lightning cable I would be interested in the specs to see if I could use it to minimise the adapters and cables in use on my setup.  

This was what I found. If you understand the specs, please do let me know! Says it charges too...

https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/IK-Multimedia-Lightning-to-Mini-DIN-cable-with-charging/art-PCM0016363-000?campaign=GShopping/GB&ProgramUUID=HADAqJarPzAAAAFlea9yjI.G&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpN7f89HN-QIVVO3tCh0yOAAbEAQYAiABEgLEevD_BwE

13 minutes ago, Lewis987 said:

I reckon that the cable linked is non Porsche specific and is unlikely to charge. I am pretty sure there is no power provided to that din port.  

the description on the Porsche y cable on the d911 site suggests the same. 

https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod21580/Multimedia-Connecting-Cable-for-Porsche/

I would also suspect that there won’t be any sound - because the lack of digital /analog converter

but of course I may be completely wrong on this.

I honestly don’t know.  I suspect yes since the connections you have are very similar except for usb.  That’s the cable you use for the universal audio adapter in the later cars and in that case usb is just for charging.  

rhat only gives you 30pin though.  You still need something to get you to lightning, I am using the apple connector (because of the DAC). 

You could supply power to the usb leg with a ciggy lighter adapter to her charge to the phone (more plumbing required) 

If you go that route it would be cheaper from a Porsche dealer - they will post smaller items for a nominal charge and they will be approx 15 % cheaper than d911 - especially if you ask for (and get) discount.