My Cayman got vandalised last night

And.rs1800

As the title says-some front bottom snapped the rear wiper off my immaculate cayman S last night,and gouged the paintwork on the boot lid down to bare metal.

a few other cars got done aswell-luckily my Cooper S parked next to the Porsche escaped from damage.

none of the neighbours who’s cars were damaged  picked anything up on their cameras,and my own camera drew a blank also.

It would be fair to say I’m incandescent with rage right now.

• Sad 5

Hopefully I can get a smart repair done-

I’m still absolutely feking frothing-I live near the end of a quiet cul de sac,lived here for 25 years,never had a problem.

The to*ser that did it either came up here on purpose to do it,or they were visiting one of the five or six houses just past mine,but We don’t normally get any riff raff round there.all very worrying.

Yeah good place to vent here, we feel your pain, had similar.  Long term though, enjoy the car don't fret over it. I expect you'll live trouble free for another 25 years. For the cost of 2 or 3 tanks of fun juice its fixed. Perp. probably just a drunk teen being stupid.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, And.rs1800 said:

Any opinions on whether this can be sorted as a smart repair or am I looking at getting the whole boot lid sprayed? 

I think you can only get that advice from someone who can do a smart paint repair.  Plenty of mobile people doing this these days, so I guess you just need a local recommendation.  AutoRestore could be a starting point.

2 hours ago, ½cwt said:

I think you can only get that advice from someone who can do a smart paint repair.  Plenty of mobile people doing this these days, so I guess you just need a local recommendation.  AutoRestore could be a starting point.

I’ve got a guy looking into it now-👍

• Like 1

Really sorry to hear about this mate. I would be absolutely mortified if this had happened to mine. 

My advice, for what it's worth, is get the repairs done through your insurance.  And make sure the paint finish is absolutely perfect before you accept it back from them.

6 minutes ago, Davey P said:

Really sorry to hear about this mate. I would be absolutely mortified if this had happened to mine. 

My advice, for what it's worth, is get the repairs done through your insurance.  And make sure the paint finish is absolutely perfect before you accept it back from them.

Thanks Davey-I’ve had a few places look at the pics and a smart repair isn’t possible so I don’t want a cheap body shop job -I want it done right👍

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, And.rs1800 said:

Thanks Davey-I’ve had a few places look at the pics and a smart repair isn’t possible so I don’t want a cheap body shop job -I want it done right👍

Then I would seriously consider bypassing Insurance co. They will look to use one of their approved ( possibly owned) body shops who do volume work and aim for “good enough”.  If you want to go anywhere else they will drag it out with assessors and complications. 

they will load your premiums for the Porsche and any other car for a few years to get back the imagined 500 quid they spent - where the body shop probably saw 300 of it. 

And you will get ball ache along the way   

Personally I would find a body shop I trusted - have the conversation about “perfect match and blending in” before they get anywhere near it then pay the money and suck it up, last thing you want is the grief of it happening and the pain of having a good enough repair you had to fight for and are not happy with  

others will of course disagree. 

Edited by Paul P
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Interested to hear why a smart repair isn't also an option, what reasons did they give ? 

Couple of places look at the pics and said it’s a body shop job.

maybe the position of the scratches on the panel?

Every smart repair website has before and after pics much worse than mine-I’ll ask a few more tomorrow 

2 minutes ago, And.rs1800 said:

Couple of places look at the pics and said it’s a body shop job.

maybe the position of the scratches on the panel?

Every smart repair website has before and after pics much worse than mine-I’ll ask a few more tomorrow 

I've become a believer that less is more with these things, the right pair of smart repair eyes/hands might be able to do something with it.

Good luck getting it sorted.

• Thanks 1

Where are you? Your profile doesn't say where you are.  Someone might be able to recommend someone local to or at least not too inconvenient for you to get a good job done. 

I had a fleet/insurance repair done on my company car 3 years ago.  If I'd been teh body shop manager that let teh colour mis-match leave his shop I'd have either sacked someone or felt the need to jump in front of a train.  It was that bad I spotted it 50 yards away whilst the guy delivering back was approaching.  They ended up doing it twice so can't have made any money on the job, I'm sure they could ahve spotted it before the lacquer coat.

I feel your pain. Woke this morning to find foxes have gone absolutely beserk on my dark olive metallic boxster. Deep claw scratches on every panel. It really is unbelievable destruction. 
I’ve made a start on making them better but short of a respray I don’t think I’ll get it up to my exacting standards. 😩

3E8DB538-8575-41CB-A5F4-25D487DF854C.jpeg

• Sad 4

This is how the insurance co approved repairer tried to return my Audi to me after a bumper replacement. 

What this photo doesn’t show is the fact that the bumper had also been forced over the factory fitted tow ball bracket instead of being cut along the templates lines so the bottom of it was bowed about 3 inches out of line. 

took 7 weeks, an engineer, another body shop and another new bumper to resolve.  And then the insurance co still held this as a 2nd claim against me (they paid twice) for 8 months until the 1st body shop agreed to pay the costs of the second. 

• Sad 2

10 minutes ago, Paul P said:

This is how the insurance co approved repairer tried to return my Audi to me after a bumper replacement. 

What this photo doesn’t show is the fact that the bumper had also been forced over the factory fitted tow ball bracket instead of being cut along the templates lines so the bottom of it was bowed about 3 inches out of line. 

took 7 weeks, an engineer, another body shop and another new bumper to resolve.  And then the insurance co still held this as a 2nd claim against me (they paid twice) for 8 months until the 1st body shop agreed to pay the costs of the second. 

Yeah that's even close to trying re the colour match.

14 minutes ago, Macus said:

I feel your pain. Woke this morning to find foxes have gone absolutely beserk on my dark olive metallic boxster. Deep claw scratches on every panel. It really is unbelievable destruction. 
I’ve made a start on making them better but short of a respray I don’t think I’ll get it up to my exacting standards. 😩

3E8DB538-8575-41CB-A5F4-25D487DF854C.jpeg

Oh no!!!