Water Pump Manufacturers/Suppliers

Codfanglers

My water pump has started making a noise and looking for anyone's experience of the quality of replacements. A quick look sees a Meyle HD with a plastic/fibreglass impeller or a Febi Bilstein with a metal impeller, both around £120.

There are cheaper "OE quality" pumps out there but I do prefer at least a manufacturer's name.   

Question is, what are indie's fitting, or how much is an OEM Porsche pump and is it worth paying the (expected extra) price?

1 hour ago, iborguk said:

OE part 99710601106, £457 before any discount from an OPC.

Personally I'd fit an original.

That said, Pierburg is the OE suppliers so an aftermarket one from them will save a few pennies but be same spec, like TRW suspension arms or Sachs front top mounts.  Same parts but with no VP logo visible.

23 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

That said, Pierburg is the OE suppliers so an aftermarket one from them will save a few pennies but be same spec, like TRW suspension arms or Sachs front top mounts.  Same parts but with no VP logo visible.

Didn't know that re the pump, learn something new every day.

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/61051-pierburg-water-pump.html

£260 sounds tempting if that were to include VAT and delivery.

Amazon lists the Pierburg pump at £161 but would guess there would be complications. More reliable suppliers would be around £190.

Still unsure which way to go. There seems to be no end of different "manufacturers" offering 2,3 and 5 year warranties with their pumps so they must all sell quite a few For most cars, indies will just use whatever pattern part is on the shelf from a local motor factor and warranty their wirk if it fails.

If it was a £30k car there would be no question, but for a £7k beater with nearly 93k on the clock that does 3k miles a year is it worth the extra?

Edited by Codfanglers
additional info

2 hours ago, Codfanglers said:

£260 sounds tempting if that were to include VAT and delivery.

Amazon lists the Pierburg pump at £161 but would guess there would be complications. More reliable suppliers would be around £190.

Still unsure which way to go. There seems to be no end of different "manufacturers" offering 2,3 and 5 year warranties with their pumps so they must all sell quite a few For most cars, indies will just use whatever pattern part is on the shelf from a local motor factor and warranty their wirk if it fails.

If it was a £30k car there would be no question, but for a £7k beater with nearly 93k on the clock that does 3k miles a year is it worth the extra?

A lot depends on how you drive your car. Mine was on it’s original pump when I got it at 140k, but was mostly used for commuting from what I can tell. I used it for thrashing around at high revs and it gave up the ghost pretty soon. I replaced it with a Laso pump at £150 which was also OE fitment and it has survived a further 3 years of abuse. I did also fit an under drive pulley to reduce the stress on the ancillaries from enthusiastic driving. Definitely get a composite impeller as you don’t want it grinding into your block and sending bits of metal through your cooling system when it fails.

You don't want the failed bits of a cheap water pump fouling up the inside of the engine. Would cost 3 to 4k to fix.

Go Peirberg, have you checked Autodoc?. Takes 8 to 10 days to get the bit but prices are good.

Edited by ½cwt

I decided on the Meyle HD pump, seem to be trusted brand in VW circles who report their pumps are of decent quality and come with 100,000 miles/4year warranty, gasket and bolts. Design 911 sell them so I take that as an endorsement. It will be seeing some revs and spirited use but no track days.

I'd have gone for the Pierberg but can't find anyone selling at a decent price that quote immediate dispatch so assume most will be making their way over from the continent. 

Coolant ordered as well.

Car has always held spot on temp. Is it recommended to change the stat or leave alone?