981 Coffin Arms

spook

My 2012 981 Boxster S is into the 70k's now and the rear suspension is getting increasingly knocky, particularly on lateral ridges on the road. I've surmised from what I've previously read on this forum that worn rear lower ball joints are likely to be the culprit and that new rear coffin arms will therefore be required, even though it's still passing its MOT every year. Has anyone got any recommendations on replacements? Are the aftermarket items (e.g. Spyder Performance) any good? What else should I consider while I'm at it, e.g. poly bushes, new drop links?

All advice gratefully accepted .....

Spyder prefprmane ones are good. I fitted some to my previous 981 and got them to fit the bushes. They were no worse than standard for NVH and of course meant that it's easy to replace the bushes if they ever need doing again.

• Like 2

Hi @spook Spyder arms are reasonable prices - but check / inspect them first - or ask whoever is fitting them too.

I’ve ordered all the arms for mine (leggy 996) over the last few months - to fit next week - two looked a bit iffy / re manufacture - both where the metal hadn’t been pressed in uniformly. This rear tie rod is one - gap between arm and metal:

663-BC4-FB-86-D7-44-CD-A1-EB-F30978163-E

To be fair to Spyder both times they sent out replacements the following day no quibble and they give a two year guarantee.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, andygo said:

Spyder prefprmane ones are good. I fitted some to my previous 981 and got them to fit the bushes. They were no worse than standard for NVH and of course meant that it's easy to replace the bushes if they ever need doing again.

So the bushes on the Spyder items are replaceable but the ones on the OEM coffin arms aren't?

10 hours ago, spook said:

So the bushes on the Spyder items are replaceable but the ones on the OEM coffin arms aren't?

If you buy the ones from them with the polybushes, they can either fit the bushes for you or you can fit yourself, see their website.

I would imaine you can dig out the standard bonded in bushes on the coffin arms, but by the time you have done that and fitted poly bushes you have to factor in that you still have the old original ball joint. If you have gone to the effort of removing your existing standard ones you might as well put a new one back in it's place.

• Like 1