Which Oil??

Wigs

I’m going to be doing the oil change for the first time as usually get it done at the local Indy. My Boxster is an 06 plate with 124,000 miles on the clock. Would you stick with Mobil 1 0w40, or 5w40 because of the mileage?? Also is there anything else to be aware of when doing this oil change etc👍👍

cheers

The last time an oil thread came up here a lot of people, including myself liked Fuchs Titan Supersyn 5w40.

The brand is big in Germany but less well known here, and hence at a great price.

The w rating isn't usually a factor on high mileage engines. Conventional wisdom would be to increase the '40' weight on higher mileage engines to maintain pressure and flow when warm.

However, 124k isn't that high nowadays and as long as your engine has been regularly serviced and runs well, you can stick with any good A40 spec. oil.

Another fun tip is to fill the oil filter assembly with fresh oil prior to refitting it. This way you minimise low oil pressure for the first few seconds after restarting. You can do this on the flat 6 engines, since they are positioned upside-down relative to cars where you change the filter at the top of the engine.

• Like 1