No Claims Discount

I insured with Direct Line for about £750 - £800 ish.

They wouldn't let me keep my Sierra 1.8 (already insured with them) as a second car to leave at station car park whilst Boxster garaged without a new policy with 0 NCB - an additional £600!!! Crazyness :o

Surely you lose it just for the policy you claim on???? That's reverse something or other!

F****** CRIMINAL :angry:

you lose your no claims on all the others too

I don't think that is correct. You have to tell them about other claims, which may affect the full premium, 'cos you may be a bigger risk, but the 'no claims' discount belongs to that policy, not the person.

£700 (approx) on the Porker with full no claims (65%) with Direct Line

£350 on the Ford Fiesta (office/airport hack) with Zero No-Claims. My entire adult life has been insurance-claim free (some 25 years), and I have to start all over again with the second car I own

Crazy! :wacko:

If I claim on my current insurance then I lose my no claims. If I then change insurance companies I have 0 no claims discount because the no claims follows me, not the policy.

If I have multiple policies with 1 company and make a claim on one of them, come renewal time I will have 0 no claims to show for both policy renewals (this all assumes of course that it is not protected in any way).

This was explained to me in some detail a few months ago when shopping around for insurance (I have 3 cars and 1 motorbike to insure every year).

I was a bit shocked to learn thats how it is.

stevedo, I agree I did not word my first reply quite right, in that the no claims is for 'you' on 'that policy'. I still don't agree that if you have multiple policies, and claim on one of them, then you lose the no claims discount on all of them. Who 'explained' this to you? I may investigate this further - a previous thread on insurance compaines highlighted we a lot of the time people are told different things by the same company, depending on who they talk to, so who the hell do we believe!

This was explained to me by Direct Line and Elephant.

I have had experience of this in the past when I made a claim on my bike insurance and then effectively had 0 no claims on both my car and bike renewals.

Come renewal time they just said I'd made a claim and they take that into account regardless of which policy and/or company is involved.

Steve

Steve, looking through various online policies, the wording in this area is very 'wooly' and could be interpreted either way - which obviously means we - the punter - lost out! However, this is the actual wording from the DirectLine online policy document

However this is a no claim discount and not a 'no blame discount'. If a loss occurs which is not your fault and we have to make a payment, then your No Claim Discount will be reduced unless we can recover our outlay.

Now if you had two policies with DirectLine and claimed on one, then they could say you lose your no claims on both, as they had to pay out, but if the policies were with different companies, and you claimed on the other policy, then DirectLine would not have made a payment, so I cannot see how they could reduce your no claims discount on their policy - under this wording.

Hopefully none of us ever have to test this out, as it seems to be a gray area, that you could argue over for ages, and then lose!

One interesting thing I read on the IOB site, that people are probably not aware of is regarding policies that offer a new car if the car is written off in the first year. The 'written off' point appears to be 60% of the value of the car. If the car is written off and its not your fault, your company gives you a new car, but they can only claim the write off value from the other party. This means they do not recover all their costs, and your no claims discount is reduced! Someone took this case to the IOB, and the insurance company won!

Insurance policies/companies stink! :angry:

I have 4 cars 2 insured with the same company and 2 with different companieS, if I make a claim on 1 policy and thus lose my no claims, I DO NOT lose my no claims on any of the other policies, but when I come to renew any of the other policies I may pay more because of the earlier claim.

Sounds a bit dodgy to not link policies for pricing, but to link them for no claims, I would say that you are being misled on that one.

Nick talk to Roadsure, they agreed to insure my Defender on full no claims for a new policy because I proved I had full no claims on my Range Rover. They can be contacted on 020 8989 9595

I have full no claims on my porker and it is protected - when i got the Ka i phoned the same insurer and told them i was getting it and asked them if they do a 'deal' for existing members. they said yes what happens is we give you full no claims on the Ka too! but if you claim in the first year that you run that policy you will loose it all (on the Ka policy only) and in the first year we will not allow you to protect it.

after the year is up you may protect it at the full no claims amount and while robert may be you fathers brother fanny is definately wasted on an aunt! :lol:

now on another point, if you do not protect your no claims and you make a claim you only loose 2 yrs bonus - not all of it (unless you only had 2 yrs anyway). so if you have 7yrs free from accident and backed up by your bonus (this clearly wont apply to you Nick :( ) then it will drop to 5yrs after a claim etc...

BTW my company is Churchill but i will be swapping to Esure in the summer unless churchill get more competitive! tho i will leave the Ka with them - spread my risk etc...

JC

Its all a conspiracy!!... even tehy don't know what they are doing... (still awaiting telephone call transcripts)..

I know for the next UK meet lets all drive to the Insurance Ombudsman's country estate and trash his motor (s) bet he/she dosn't lose his/her no claims bonus...

Stupid, just stupid as said by the guy in the insurance add..

Geordie

Archived