warranty options

Jeoff

Who has purchased extended warranties?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Who has purchased extended warranties?

• No not interested
    • No but thinking about it
    • Yes from main stealer
    • Yes from other sources

50% not got it but thinking about it. Interesting- this is of course to do with engine failures and Porsches refusal to acknowledge that the problem exists.-See this months Porsche 911 world-how can you maintain high second hand values if engines cost 8-10K ( and this figure is subsidised by Porsche apparently) and fail in cars worth 20k?

2 more years and 996 Carreras will be in the 20k bracket and the whole self fulfilling prophesy that is Porsche servicing/ repairs and parts could well implode on it's self if parts don't continue to be produced for the back catalogue and That issues like the RMS are not acknowledged and remedial action taken to alay the fears of the customer.

In other words- who can afford a 20k sports car that "might not" provide hours of motoring pleasure? but migh just end up costing as much again (20k) to be repaired, rebuilt etc.?

They go on to say Ceramic Brakes could well cause £100000 cars to depreciate very very steeply, as who would want to have to pay £5000 per corner to have them repaired???

Talking of RMS- does anyone know what if anything has been done to address the problem on the new Boxster-as from what I read, this is basically the same engine as before( unlike the 997 3.8 )but with a remap and airfilter mod?

They go on to say Ceramic Brakes could well cause £100000 cars to depreciate very very steeply, as who would want to have to pay £5000 per corner to have them repaired???

Also go onto say that converting them costs about £2k to convert to metal discs........ cheap(ish) GT2 anyone? :whistle:

50% not got it but thinking about it. Interesting- this is of course to do with engine failures and Porsches refusal to acknowledge that the problem exists.-See this months Porsche 911 world-how can you maintain high second hand values if engines cost 8-10K ( and this figure is subsidised by Porsche apparently) and fail in cars worth 20k?

So how likely is it my two year old car with 30K on the clock to have an engine failure?

How many high mileage cars are out there with no problems? :wacko:

So how likely is it my two year old car with 30K on the clock to have an engine failure?

How many high mileage cars are out there with no problems? :wacko:

In fact sounds like an idea for another poll !!!!!! :neo:

How many high mileage cars are out there with no problems?

In fact sounds like an idea for another poll !!!!!!

Correctamondo! I thought I'd bought mine with my eyes wide open, this sh1t scares me tho'! :(

I have a colleague (none BoXa member) with a 2000. 2.7 and 60,000 miles who hasn't had one problem, sounds like lucky him..... :ermmm:

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if you could apply the 'law of expectations' to a car.

There's a little used bit of consumer law that says something along the lines that if you by a quality product you can reasonably expect it to last longer than the manufacturers warranty. Seen something ona couple of 'consumer' programs where products have been taken back to Dixons and the like outside of their normal one year and, after a little to-ing and fro-ing, they have had to be fixed/replaced.

Now Porsche make a big thing of the longlevity of their cars (doesn't it state somewhere in the Boxster brochure 60%+ of all cars made are still on the road?) and I'm paying a premium for a well engineered product and expect to last like one, so if in 3 years time my engine fails, and it's been regularly serviced by an OPC, I wonder if I could use this legislation? Any lawyers out there?

Archived