Insurance for a 28yr old

Seems something has gone awry with the insurance on my new vehicle. Before buying my Porsche I got a quote of £700 from Tesco. It now however appears almost to of been a mere dream as it was weighing it at £1000 - that coupled with the fact I was choosing the 04-> model year when I should actually be choosing the 99-> MY means that Tesco's have gone up to £1336.12!

I am 28, good history with 8yrs NCB bar 1 fault claim coupled with 3points for a CD10 conviction (due care & attention - totally unjust I assure you, believe me I am man enough to admit my mistakes when I do make them) living in Warwickshire.

Anyway, it turned a lesuirely insurance purchase lsat night into a real stress. Using all the excellent links from this forum I have found that if you are under 30 then you are in trouble. Now I am used four figure insrance quotes having owned a Sapphire Cosworth from the age of 21 and running it for 6 years. It seems funny that I've always owned performance vehicle yet my accident was in a KA.

I digress, the quotes I ended up getting where roughly (to the nearest hundred where they would quote):

Tesco: £1300

Admrial: £1700

Privilege: £1200

Screentrade: £1200

Churchill: £1700

Direct Line: £980

So, no prizes for guessing who I went with. That without Protected NCB though and an excess to make you cry. Only another 2 renewals until the points stop counting against me... :cry:

sorry to hear about your nightmare.

you might be interested to know that you paid in the region of what i paid for on my new boxster s, but with norwich union direct.

im over 30 (32, to be precise), however my problem is that having had 8 years NCB, i then moved to france and was insured on a french policy, that i have subsequently lost details of. since returning from france, i have always been insured on company car policies, so when it came to getting quoted on the S, i effectively had zero NCB!

norwich union was the best by far, and although they dont formally recognise company car NCB, they were prepared to discount me, and also once im through the first 12 months without claim (touching all wood in the proximity) they will credit me with 3 years official NCB from the 13 month. oh, and my excess is low.

the fact that ive been driving for 15 years, mostly in "performance" cars, and never made a claim, counts for nothing if you dont have the appropriate paperwork!

Same thing happened to me.

I got a quote for £830...bought the car...then was given a new quote at £1300. Managed to bring that down by adding mum, dad, the cat and dog as named drivers, increased the excess and took off the AA cover and legal expenses cover. I've hardly got any cover left!!

Got it down to £1100.00. I'm 26 F 2 years NCB on a 2002 Boxster 2.7 in Birmingham. Insurance with Diamond.

Insurance can be a heart breaking experience!

:(

Same thing happened to me.

I got a quote for £830...bought the car...then was given a new quote at £1300.  Managed to bring that down by adding mum, dad, the cat and dog as named drivers, increased the excess and took off the AA cover and legal expenses cover.  I've hardly got any cover left!!

Got it down to £1100.00.  I'm 26 F 2 years NCB on a 2002 Boxster 2.7 in Birmingham.  Insurance with Diamond.

Insurance can be a heart breaking experience!

:(

Reading all your nightmares, I'm a bit worried now as I just got some quotes from 1st Alternative and from Sainbury's for £429 for a 987 S which is yet to be delivered for 1 September. I thought that was VERY reasonable but am worried that when I actually buy it, it may also have soared..... :cry:

I wouldn't worry, you must be over 30 of got a quote out of them (which is in your favour) and they certainly seem to be the best for Boxsters. You also have to factor in my CD10 and fault accident that really doesn't do me any favours at all.

Like I say, don't worry. :)

I wouldn't worry, you must be over 30 of got a quote out of them (which is in your favour) and they certainly seem to be the best for Boxsters. You also have to factor in my CD10 and fault accident that really doesn't do me any favours at all.

Just tried first alternative as everyone is raving on about them.

With a different insurer at present, but my existing insurer is indicating £750 with a £500 excess at renewal in 6 weeks time. as I changed to a 2000 S this year from a 2.5.

I am quite pleased at £637.00 with a £250xs. The vehicle is my third car too and is only £40 more than my old 1997 2.5 was! Have 6 points for speeding too.

:bana:

Tesco are a nightmare lately. I had a Civic Type-R before my 00' Boxster S. Tesco were charging me £700 for the Civic which believe me is really good for my age (22 - 21 at the time!).

When I phoned them to quote for the Boxster, they wouldn't cover me for it. I queried this as I was an existing customer with 5 years NCB. They said that they had recently changed their underwriting policy. I was particularly shocked to hear that if I was phoning to insure a Civic as a new customer, they wouldn't touch me with it! and that I was lucky they were keeping me on at all! - The attitude on them!

Anyway, I got various quotes. Most of them were around £4500 which is a joke.

I'm with Elephant now who are excellent for the small amount of £2200 (bit of a difference). This includes having my parents insured to drive it too.

I just don't know how some companies can justify the prices.

I got the best deal off egg this year. Tesco have always been best for the boxster s and my previous alfa spider 3.0V6. I'm 28 too, but 6 years NCB and no points or fault claims. IIRC it was around £1200 with protected no claims, plus I got some bonus stuff for paying it on an egg card...

I am 29 and managed to get myself on an over 30s policy with 1st alternative, great prince around £200 cheaper than any othe quote!

I would give them a call anyway if you haven't already, the bloke I spoke to said he new the guy who set the company up and would not have a problem over riding the "over 30" check box, not sure how true this was but I got a great deal!

Goes to show a call is always worth it. Too late for me now but fair play to you, I shall definitely be ringing round next year now. :)

my insurance up for renewal at the moment, recent quotes:

29yrs old, 2yrs NCD, 9 points (come off this summer) 2.5 Boxster

Tesco (renewal) £1800

Elephant £3760

Direct Line £2000

Admiral £3500

Privilege £1550

Screentrade £1570

Liverpool Victoria £1221

Diamond £4902!!!

Sainsburys/1st Altnernative/norwich union/more than - won't quote me!!!

Have just called Bickley Insurance and spoke to a very knowledgable fella there, an insurance first for me, who gave me a quote of £1600 to insure a 987 and BMW 323 for my wife and me with business cover.

The 987 would be covered for it's full value, not the half ar*ed deals not covering essential extras. The only downer was the loading for myself, as I am in the entertainment business.

My current co. will cover both cars for £1400 but not for business, trackdays, partial leather, 18s, climate, PASM etc

It was just nice to talk to an insurer that knew what's what with Porsches.

The only downer was the loading for myself, as I am in the entertainment business.

weddings, basmitzvahs, and that sort of thing?

go on croyde, give us a chorus of Tight Fit, or Village People...

The only downer was the loading for myself, as I am in the entertainment business.

weddings, basmitzvahs, and that sort of thing?

go on croyde, give us a chorus of Tight Fit, or Village People...

:lol::lol::lol:

D....I....S.....C..... Oooooo Oooooo Oooooo

Ooops! Split me hot pants, maroon lycra they were :(

Have to add that I have now spoken to someone who seems pretty knowledgible at Admiral, who has sorted me out for both cars and with business use on the Box.

Archived