Insurance again-again

Hi all.

Just joined your most excellent forum.

Any comments on the following would be greatly appreciated.

I'm getting a boxster next week...(2.7) and have been looking for the best insurance quote.

However....muchos problemos.....I'm 26 but have no NCB because I've always been insured on family cars. This is my first purchase.

the best quote I've had so far is about £1700 from elephant which i guess is not too bad considering. :blink:

Does this sounds reasonable considering my age and lack of NCB or is it awful in which case i shall beat myself with sticks.!?

Also....if you had the choice would you go for a newer 2.7 or a higher mileage 3.2.

Wow...just asked too many questions...i may well beat myself with sticks anyway!

cheers

Polyp

I won't use the word reasonable, but I supposed that quote would be about what I'd expect given your circumstances. Beware of elephant though, they treat alloy wheels, leather seats, air con and absolutely anyhing which is not on a base model 2.7 as a "modification" and will charge extra for it (or invalidate your insurance when it comes to a claim)....also, they will only repair to the base spec, so if you but a boxster with £5K of options, they won't replace the options. <_<

Going for the 3.2 will also add a fair whack to your insurance.

Hi thanks for that. I'll have to be extra careful if i decide to go with elephant. Pretty much every boxster i have seen has aircon, leather seats etc...

I guess they probably think a steering wheel is an extra as well....

:vmad:

Well.....going out to look today at more cars....i just hope the elephant doesn't scupper me at the last hurdle!

cheers

I'm with Admiral (which is Elephant), it all depends on the muppet you get to speak to on the phone.

Whenever I am asked if the car is modified or has any non-standard bits I say 'It is exactly as it was when it left the factory' - which they take as a no.

The conversations are recorded, so if there is a problem..........

If not, I'll send Jeoff down there :ph34r:

Simon

Ah Ha!....so that's why admiral and elephant quotes came out the same.....same company!

Bit of a tricky situation with this extras business. Surely though you can't even get a boxster without alloy wheels etc..

I'm seeing some more cars today but haven't finally decided on which one to get yet so i don't know what the extras will be. I guess i can just say to the insurance that it is standard...although don't want to get shoved into prison and end up being the "beeeatch" of some big hairy con called "vicky". :cry:

Anybody know if aircon and leather will bump it up?

I think you have done well to get insured for less than £2k.

I take it your excess > £500.

Tracker, garage, reduced mileage, limit to just yourself driving.......will help

But at the end of the day your high risk - driving a high performance car

28 years old, 4 years NCB (1 x £9k claim for track accident 2 years ago), no points, £46k, have other car, garaged and the killer - EC1 postcode (Clerkenwell, London) = £3k quote. Was the lowest I could find in over 2 weeks looking.

Guest Nosey_Rod

97 Boxster 2.5 tip, lux, alloys, lots of extras,27yrs old, 1 yrs driving experience, 0 NCB, high risk area Hampstead, garaged, Tracker (mandatory) Tesco's £1,650 Norwich union's quote £9,350, and they had the balls to ensure me that that would be the best quote I would get. It was the worst.

Get another person insured on it, preferably a driver with more experience, this usually knocks off £50-100, for a 2.7 add £50 on top of the 2.5 price.

:smoke2:

Guest Guest

thanks.

looks like I'm going for the 3.2 so my insurance will be around £1800 although I think I'll do the bonus accelerator thing which means i pay for 10months but earn one years NCB. It works out £1650 for 10 months.

The low down if i get the car i want (boxster 3.2.

2001 model.) is:

Mileage <5000/year

Have locked garage

I'm 26, no NCB

Live in Sutton Coldfield

and....put my dad on the insurance (jeepers :o )

If all else fails.....i return to beating myself with a shyatety stick!

Have you tried greenlight and Liverpool Victoria.

With Liverpool Victoria, for a 03 2.7 with 2 years no claims bonus, I'm 26, wife 27, she has 3 points, it was £1250. Parked on driveway no tracker needed.

Good luck, it'll be worth it!

Jon

Personally I find Direct Line cheaper than elephant, but I have full NCB.

My insurance was £1250 Tesco

-27yrs

-tracker

-full protected NCB

-£250 xs

-value £45k

-driveway

-Notts post code(medium risk)

-no previous claims or accidents

I would say that those are decent quotes. I have just made a 45K claim on this insurance and they are paying out at full cost value including value of the tracker!! Not bad but took nearly 7 weeks. Settled in principal over the phone waiting for cheque to come now.

Dread to think what insurance is going to be now after my write off :cry::wacko: Does anyone have any idea on how loaded my premium will be, remember I have 5yrs protected NCB

Tired tesco and it came out at £2278....but i think that is the no NCB hitting me hard.

The quote with elephant is now £1655 for 10 month bonus accelerator thing. Just thinking though that i might try some other companies as I will probably put on less than 5000miles per year. I work out of the UK on a fly-out / fly-in basis so can't use the beast all the time.

Rohit - i think my excess is £500 although i might sort out a lower excess and slightly higher premium.

Hoping to do the deal soon so that by this time next week I'll have a box S 3.2 monster in my garage! :bana:

Better than driving around in my mums fiesta!

Elephant don't want a tracker but I'm thinking i might fit one anyway for piece of mind.

Nobby - God's toenails!!!!.....what happened , how did u write it off? Weren't injured i hope?

Ok......lunch time!

Nobby - God's toenails!!!!.....what happened , how did u write it off? Weren't injured i hope?

Ok......lunch time!

There are before and after pics on the members rides section under nobbys porker and nobbys porker crackling.

Also a description of the accident is under general boxster chat posted around the 14th april. Basically rolled her 3 times :cry:

Safe car mind :inocent:

Safe car mind

Not so safe Al-Queda pheasant! :spammer:

Simon

scary stuff about elephant. I am with them too. I can't remember mentioning all the options but I told them the car cost 35 grand. I like your style though. 'Its how it left the factory.'. My insurance is only £700 but I ma very very old (35).

Jeoff

I insure with Elephant/admiral and was a little pi55ed when they asked me for the list of options - it didn't have that much impact on the price (£70) since pretty much everything gets categorised as either interior modifications or exterior modifications (the real crippler is if you have ENGINE modifications).

However, I wasn't best pleased with the policy bit that tells you they will only pay for the standard item to be replaced not the optional item. I am certain there is a way around it since it wold be dangerous for them to replace a missing wheel with the 'standard' item if you have 18" Sport Designs all round!

Felix

Interesting...I have spoken with Admiral today as I am currently searching for the best quote and I was told that 'All factory fit options have to be declared when completing the application' :angry:

So beware folks!!!

I warned people about this before on another thread. I was charged extra for a hard top, replaced alloy wheels, clear indicators. Total additional cost about 100pounds, but the big problem is they say they will not replace the options.

This is plain stupid. Ive decided when my isurance is up in september (I think) I will be going elsewhere. And, when they ask me why, I will be telling them :vmad:

I suggest you guys do the same.

I hear halifax is pretty good for car insurance.

Archived