LIMITED MILEAGE INSURANCE

pip

LIMITED MILEAGE INSURANCE - WHAT IF YOU GO OVER?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. LIMITED MILEAGE INSURANCE - WHAT IF YOU GO OVER?

• car insurance
    • general

When taking out car insurance, they usually ask for an estimate of your annual mileage. This as they say, is just an estimate. What happens if you go over, say a couple of thousand miles and you have to make a claim? Would you cover be invalidated?

Potentially, yes. But it is by no means certain.

Depends on how much you had gone over, and what the circumstances weere.

If the insurer could argue that by falsely stating that you would only do limited mileage (for example if you took out a 2000 mile a year policy, and yet did a 100 miles a day to work) that this was material in them accepting you as a risk, then the policy would most likely be voided by reason of misrepresentation. Although they do still have to cover their third party responsibilities I believe.

If on the otherhand you could show that this was inadvertant, you would most likely get away with paying some extra premium , and/or a change in policy terms.

Moral - Always notify your insurer if you go over you limted mileage.

I believe you must inform them as you approach your given milage limit or insurance is invalid.

Most allow a maximum increase....

In the past with other cars, I have always asked what the limit is.. since you can insure for 2000 miles but raise it to 5000 at no cost... so take the 5000 to start...

Thanks guys.

Perhaps insurance companies should ask "what is your maximum annual mileage" instead of "what is your approximate annual mileage". I have a policy with 14000 annual mileage, but it may be 12000, it may be 16000.

tell me this isn't so

the insurance company asks you to estimate your annual mileage - surely +/-10-20% is fine

I have 4000 miles, max I would go over is 500miles - are you saying I should tell insurance company when I hit 4001?

Not sure the two are the same thing.

I have a "limited mileage" policy for my seven. And endorsement specifically says "No cover applies except as required by the RTA if in any 12 months your car exceeds the chosen annual mileage limit which you have declared to us : 3000 miles".

My policy for the Boxster just includes "Estimated Annual Mileage" on the Proposal, no endoresement to the same effect as above.

For the latter if at the time of signing the Proposal (or not amending it in the case of statement of fact) you believed 4000 miles a year to be correct, then you are fine. There is a bit of case law that talks about the proposal not being a "promise of future conduct".

What they are really trying to catch is people who take out a 2000 mile a year policy and then do 150,000 as a cabbie. And even then it might be hard to prove any misrepresentation.

Check your policy :)

• 3 weeks later...

I've had a few limited mileage policies in the past, I was only once asked to fill in a form that stated the milage of the car at the start of the year. If the insurance company does not ask for this information how do they know how many miles the car has done in the year?

I suppose they could ask for service records/mot to prove it, but I don't know whether they have any legal right to see these...and also prove what use....for example, did you take the car abroad and put on several thousand miles on a separate policy (like I did), then how would they separate it....surely they can't claim these miles count.

They probably don't care if you don't claim.

But crunch time is when you have an accident and the car is looked over by the assesor. One of the things they will report on is the mileage.

The only way to do the "a.n. other policy" thing is to suspend the one policy, take out another. Otherwise you would be dual insured, which is not necessarily a good thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived