Insurance survey

GreigM

On getting my renewal, I phoned around and checked a large number of places, and here are the results from highest to lowest. All given same info - 2003 Boxster, value approx £35,000 (£31K to companies who specifically exclude options), 2 drivers 28 year old male, 25 year old female, married couple, car garaged overnight, <8000 miles per year.

Esure - won't quote

More than - won't quote

Norwich Union Direct - won't quote

Performance Marque - £2472

quotelinedirect.co.uk - £1888.11

Budget - £1824.50

Peart - £1550

tesco - £1202.15 (tracker needed)

priviledge.com - £1200.15 (tracker needed)

directline - £1200.15 (tracker needed)

elephant.co.uk - £1172 (won't insure options)

admiral - £1151.85 - (won't insure options)

Anyone else got any suggestions, ideally the admiral quote + options covered. Going to have to investigate gap insurance.

Greig,

Did you get the privilege quote off the internet? I've been with them for a while now and just rung them up for a quote. They quoted an approx renewal figure of £950 in January which isn't bad at all but I would need a tracker.

They also said that all the options are covered.

The excess seemed quite high though, i was quoted £600, with £100 of it been voluntary.

Might be worth ringing them because the internet seems to always quote a lot more.

Hi Greig,

Got my renewal from Directline, so here's what I've got so far :-

Directline £1,003 (£625 excess)

M>re Than £787 (£750 excess)

Tesco £931 (£450 excess)

So the big question is, do I go for the cheap quote with the big excess, or ......

I'm inclined to stick with Directline, since I've gone through the pain of getting the options saga resolved with them and really can't be ar$ed having to go through that pain again with others!

I phoned More Than last week.Received a price of £567(I,m twice your age).Got back to my company who offered to match it.I was able to beat them down abit by them reducing the excess to £500.Good luck.

Single Male, 26, no points, garaged, Boxster S value £32k, 6 years NCB, protected no claims and business class 1 usage. Tracker.

Bell Direct £1086 £500 excess my fault, £200 if fire/theft.

They also match my no claims discount on my other car.

Matt

Just tried Bell Direct, they are basically a re-branded Admiral (as with elephant, diamond), so the same exclusion on the optional extras applies - they won't replace them. Anyway, quote was £1300, so no point.

This will sound silly, but have you got a Mother/Father or someone else in the family over 55/60 you can add as a third driver - they don't have to live at the same address- it might reduce it by as much as £250.

Also it might be worth adding Business Cover - the first time I did this on the last car it actually reduced the premium by £60.

Matt

Have tried the mother/father route and it didn't reduce it as much as the wife does (even with a claim against her).

Stupid - me on my own much more expensive than me + younger female with a recent fault claim......hmmmmmmmm

Might try the business class 1 thing though!

Priviledge and direct line are the same company

I have been insured with Priviledge now for the last 5 years and has been around £1000 every year but on renewal this year went up to £1250 and put the excess up to £750 although never has a claim apart from a windscreen which was sorted in a 1 phone call, If you need to drive another car or borrow one they normally put it on for free or a very small charge,for example had a civic type R for a weekend test drive and only cost £10 extra, and my boxster was still insured at the same time.

Just so you know I am 32 living in west london with tracker and 10 years no claims bonus i know that they only count up to 6 but sounds better when renewing

perhaps we can get a group buy on insurance for all BoXa.net members i know it will be hard to sell to the company because we all renew at diffrent times of the year but worth ago I guess

Just got a great quote from Halifax. £618 protect NCB with £250 excess or £546 not protected. 3 points on licence with the mrs included. I am 35. They include courtesy cars which Elephant didn't last year. Elephant quoted £832 and More Than £959.

Jeoff

Archived